This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 198 posts

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
has spoiler season begun? nothing to be found here?

2 spoiler arrived on the discord

Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Ensign Q wrote:has spoiler season begun? nothing to be found here?

2 spoiler arrived on the discord

We’ll be getting plenty here. I’m even building a deck for an article. [emoji50]

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
to discuss the actual cards.

im honestly glad recreation room is not another busted neuropressure massage, but right now it seems underwhelming for a seed card. card filtering is strong, but not so much in current draw engine meta.

cloud seems pretty strong for a 1time killbomb, although having "planet" dilemma flying the spaceline feels kinda weird. does it still "attack" on space missions?
I also wonder, if you damage it with battle bridge counter, it might becomes stuck real quick.
I wish we will see a card that stops such things from moving one day.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Ensign Q wrote:cloud seems pretty strong for a 1time killbomb, although having "planet" dilemma flying the spaceline feels kinda weird. does it still "attack" on space missions?
I also wonder, if you damage it with battle bridge counter, it might becomes stuck real quick.
I wish we will see a card that stops such things from moving one day.
It will still affect personnel at space missions, I don't think of it as a planet dilemma, it is a self-controlling card, this one you encounter at a planet which was already possible with 3 of the existing 5.

You can definitely stall self-controlling cards with tactic damage and technically you can prevent it moving on your turn with End Transmission but that also prevents it from doing anything so not very useful.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I'd call what we're in "previews." We're trying some different things this time out instead of the usual spoiler season. Official spoiler season will start very soon. (If you aren't familiar with our historical patterns, typically an expansion is announced/daily spoilers begin on a Friday.)

Self-controlling cards have some inherent answers in that they act predictably. Once out, they pick their destination (the far end of the spaceline) and move there. Since the spaceline is public knowledge, you can see where it's going to be and when it's going to be there - that gives you some power to avoid them.

There are also cards in The Cage that can make "hunting" space monsters fun and profitable.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
A couple of decent spoilers so far.

A strong dilemma and a card filter. Not sure I'd waste a seed slot for Recreation Room but it could come in handy if you get it as a bonus from something else.

As far as artwork goes I think these look great.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Spectre9 wrote:As far as artwork goes I think these look great.
I'm not a huge fan of TOS as a show, but the remastered versions make for absolutely gorgeous cards. Art always does a great job on the cards and Recreation Room looks especially fantastic.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
Spectre9 wrote:As far as artwork goes I think these look great.
I'm not a huge fan of TOS as a show, but the remastered versions make for absolutely gorgeous cards. Art always does a great job on the cards and Recreation Room looks especially fantastic.
The 3rd season is the best of the tos. I still think it is funny cbs all access has the original as seen on tv eps of it. They advertised it at first too.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i like rec room. cards that let you "cycle" make it a lot easier to justify stocking situational cards. that's why i like mutation. i can stick in an orbital bombardment or transport inhibitor and just dump them if they are in the way. rec room is sort of like a permanent mutation.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Speaking of The Cage, what type of stuff would you like to see in the announcement article? Which of the following types of content appeals to you most?

a) A behind the scenes look at how the expansion came to be.
b) Detailed stories about the themes of the expansion.
c) Detailed stories about the cards spoiled on announcement day.
d) Teases about what you'll see during spoiler season.
e) Specific examples of how a card or theme changed during the expansion's development.

If none of the above, what do you want to see?

-crp

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Speaking of The Cage, what type of stuff would you like to see in the announcement article? Which of the following types of content appeals to you most?

e) Specific examples of how a card or theme changed during the expansion's development.

-crp

As someone from the outside looking in AND who wants to peak behind the curtain...A and E are of particular interest to me :)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I like Story Time. Those are always fun reads.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Speaking of The Cage, what type of stuff would you like to see in the announcement article? Which of the following types of content appeals to you most?

-crp
All of it

By soggy_amphibian (Mark)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maje
I like all of those things, and Story Time like A and B in particular.

But I'm also for spreading them out over the spoiler season and even after, where it makes sense to do so. Like you could talk in general about the themes of the expansion initially, but can get more in-depth about it when more (or even all) of the cards are out there.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
There are also cards in The Cage that can make "hunting" space monsters fun and profitable.
Woo! Sign me up! Been waiting for that. :thumbsup:

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]