This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Armus wrote:
Slayer07 wrote:So doesn't that make all ❖ drones males then? Can any of them be called female?
It makes them Male AND Female.

So any ❖ [Bor] can be selected for either love interest, 2 ❖ [Bor] can get past Shore Leave or Matriarchal Society, etc.

Like I said I don't think this breaks Borgs. I'm open to being proven wrong though.
Yeah it doesn't change the gender rule that Borg drones have no gender it just overrides it.
Last edited by Latok on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:That's not how this worked before with cards like Jim Shimoda Shades of Gray: Despair, etc... is it?
Many of us thought it was how SoG:D and others worked, but it was only recently clarified. This is why, despite loving the Shades of Gray cards, I never used the boosted Nitrium Metal Parasites -- the boost arguably hurts it by adding a turn before the destruction.
So doesn't that make all ❖ drones males then? Can any of them be called female?
Per the card, the ❖ drones are all considered both male and female. This applies only when they are facing a Borg-related dilemma (which pretty much means the dilemmas listed here; Borg Kiss is the only other Borg-related card that cares about gender, but it isn't a dilemma).

Other than that, gender remains irrelevant.

EDIT: I was slow to reply.
Last edited by BCSWowbagger on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Armus wrote:That's not how this worked before with cards like Jim Shimoda Shades of Gray: Despair, etc... is it?
Many of us thought it was how SoG:D and others worked, but it was only recently clarified. This is why, despite loving the Shades of Gray cards, I never used the boosted Nitrium Metal Parasites -- the boost arguably hurts it by adding a turn before the destruction.
So doesn't that make all ❖ drones males then? Can any of them be called female?
Per the card, the ❖ drones are all considered both male and female. This applies only when they are facing a Borg-related dilemma (which pretty much means the dilemmas listed here; Borg Kiss is the only other Borg-related card that cares about gender, but it isn't a dilemma).

Other than that, gender remains irrelevant.

EDIT: I was slow to reply.
Ah okay. If I recall the general rule of thumb states all personnel are generally considered male unless the picture can clearly prove otherwise or if the personnel lore has a female pronoun. The Borg in this case ignore that general rule in favor of their own exception; they are both genders for those dilemmas. Interesting.
Last edited by Slayer07 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Community Contributor
Yeah, it didn't seem right for Borg to be simply one gender or another. They're so much more alien than that.

For the most part, what this card means to Borg is more Adapts and more personnel in scouting attempts.

Why is Distraction excluded? Because nobody could prove what it actually meant with each printed number increased by 1.
 -  
Community Contributor
Oh, and, here's a Quick Guide To Let Me Help for anyone interested. This was posted in a Design forum months ago, but I think it's still correct:

A Crime of Passion:
Unless a female ENGINEER OR a unique male with printed INTEGRITY>7 [8] present, opponent may choose a ship here to [Flip] [Flip]. Discard dilemma.
Anaphasic Organism:
If Female(s) in Away Team, the one [two] with highest total attribute numbers resigns (is discarded), unless SECURITY + MEDICAL present. Discard dilemma.
Brief Romance:
[countdown:2] [[countdown:3]] Opponent specifies "male" or "female." Place on one [two] personnel present of that gender (random selection). That personnel is "stopped" until countdown expires.
Distraction: Excluded

Entertaining Display:
[countdown:2] [countdown:3 Opponent may download up to two [three] females to planet; place on mission. To solve mission, Away Team must have more Anthropology than opponent has females present.
Ferengi Infestation:
Opponent may download up to two [three] male Ferengi to a facility at this location (or up to six [seven] if facility is Empok Nor). To get past requires 2 [3] SECURITY and CUNNING>50 [51].
Kidnappers: no numbers, no change

Koon-ut-kal-if-fee:
Randomly select one [two] Vulcan male OR opponent chooses one [two] personnel. To get past, personnel must relocate to matching homeworld OR battle strongest other male present.
This means that your single strongest male present is going to have to fight TWO personnel. Opponent can usually rig this to ensure he dies, or that both one of the selected personnel die. EDIT 12 August 2022: When writing this, years ago, I forgot that stunning or mortally wounding someone is optional. One of the two selected personnel will die as a casualty if they lose the fight, but, in most situations, the stronger side will not be deliberately mortally wounding the weaker side to rack up the body count.

Looking for Par'mach
To get past requires a male and a female OR OFFICER and CUNNING>60 [61]. Opponent may then download and seed here up to two [three] of the following: Distraction, Strange Bedfellows, Brief Romance, or Unexpected.
Matriarchal Society:
Cannot get past unless at least two [three] female Away Team members are present.
Male's Love Interest / Female's Love Interest - no numbers, no change (boosted by separate gametext)

No Mention of Crime:
Opponent chooses to capture male with most [SD] icons OR stop any two [three] males present. Nullify with four [five] females.
Matriarchal Society:
Cannot get past unless at least two [three] female Away Team members are present.
Parallel Romance:
If present, one [two] male and one [two] female (random selection) have affair. They are STRENGTH -2 [3] each and stopped now and for your next two [three] full turns.
Parallel Romance is great when it hits, but can backfire: if there aren't two males and two females present, it whiffs. Discard dilemma. Charlie repeatedly did that in his testing against me.

Primal Urges:
To get past, one [two] male and one [two] female (your choice) must run off to furthest planet. Nullify with 2 [3] ANIMAL.
Shore Leave:
To get past requires a male and a female OR Honor + INTEGRITY>50 [51]. Opponent may then download and seed here up to two [three] of the following (except Combo dilemmas): Female's Love Interest, Male's Love Interest, Parallel Romance, or Wind Dancer.
Socializing with the Staff:
To get past requires a female. All female personnel are "stopped," but if two [three] or more present, one [two] must continue (random selection).
Strange Bedfellows: - no numbers, no change

Talosian Cage:
Unless 3 [4] Empathy OR Christopher Pike present, opponent may choose to discard two [three] females (random selection) OR male with most [SD] icons. Discard dilemma.
Unexpected:
Unless you have Astrophysics and 2 [3] Exobiology OR a female who has MEDICAL, one [two] personnel (random selection, excluding females) is placed atop owner's draw deck.
On combo dilemmas, the gender-related half of the combo is affected, but, per the Glossary, the second half is treated as a separate card is unaffected. So, on Anaphasic Organism & Nagilum, Anaphasic is boosted, but Nagilum is not. (Which is good, because nobody wants to figure out whether "half" is a number.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
"Half" IS a number in context. X is a number. Half of X is X/2, which by definition is also a number. Therefore, (X/2)+1 would be the logical application of the effect.

Better to keep it separate though, otherwise you'd need this guy:

:P
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:"Half" IS a number in context. X is a number. Half of X is X/2, which by definition is also a number. Therefore, (X/2)+1 would be the logical application of the effect.
I am not joking when I say that an actuary and a mathematics PhD were consulted about the "printed number" ruling before Rules told us that combos weren't affected and we didn't need to worry about the "half" thing.

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

EDIT: P.S. Just saw some new spoilers on Facebook.

EDIT 2: Another spoiler on Discord: https://discordapp.com/channels/3978313 ... 1050400789

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Translated into Borg unicode:

BCSWowbagger wrote:
A Crime of Passion: Unless a female ENGINEER OR a unique male with printed INTEGRITY>7 [8] present, opponent may choose a ship here to [Flip] [Flip]. Discard dilemma.
Have any engineer, nothing happens.
Anaphasic Organism: If Female(s) in Away Team, the one [two] with highest total attribute numbers resigns (is discarded), unless SECURITY + MEDICAL present. Discard dilemma.
Have assault drones and guard drone, nothing happens.

Brief Romance: [countdown:2] [[countdown:3]] Opponent specifies "male" or "female." Place on one [two] personnel present of that gender (random selection). That personnel is "stopped" until countdown expires.
Stop 2 ❖ [Bor] for 2 turns.

Ferengi Infestation: Opponent may download up to two [three] male Ferengi to a facility at this location (or up to six [seven] if facility is Empok Nor). To get past requires 2 [3] SECURITY and CUNNING>50 [51].
Have assault drone, vinculum, borg queen and 7 other peeps and one again declare ferengi are irrelevant.

Looking for Par'mach To get past requires a male and a female OR OFFICER and CUNNING>60 [61]. Opponent may then download and seed here up to two [three] of the following: Distraction, Strange Bedfellows, Brief Romance, or Unexpected.
Have 2 ❖ [Bor] , then prepare for mild resistance.

Matriarchal Society: Cannot get past unless at least two [three] female Away Team members are present.
3 ❖ [Bor] declare feminism is irrelevant.

Male's Love Interest / Female's Love Interest - no numbers, no change (boosted by separate gametext)
2 ❖ [Bor] break their link to the collective.

No Mention of Crime: opponent chooses to capture male with most [SD] icons OR stop any two [three] males present. Nullify with four Five females.
5 ❖ [Bor] make crime irrelevant.

Parallel Romance: If present, one [two] male and one [two] female (random selection) have affair. They are STRENGTH -2 [3] each and stopped now and for your next two [three] full turns.
4 ❖ [Bor] are stopped for the next several turns. They will be easily replaced.

Shore Leave: To get past requires a male and a female OR Honor + INTEGRITY>50 [51]. Opponent may then download and seed here up to two [three] of the following (except Combo dilemmas): Female's Love Interest, Male's Love Interest, Parallel Romance, or Wind Dancer.

Socializing with the Staff: To get past requires a female. All female personnel are "stopped," but if two [three] or more present, one [two] must continue (random selection).
Stop all but 2 ❖ [Bor], your unique Borg ...and your queen.

Talosian Cage: Unless 3 [4] Empathy OR Christopher Pike present, opponent may choose to discard two [three] females (random selection) OR male with most [SD] icons. Discard dilemma.
Have queen with empathy skill share via vinculum to nullify.

Unexpected: [Unless you have Astrophysics and 2 [3] Exobiology OR a female who has MEDICAL, one [two] personnel (random selection, excluding females) is placed atop owner's draw deck. [/quote

Guard drone declares pregnancy irrelevant.
Last edited by Hoss-Drone on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Possibly stupid question except for the fact this is 1E:

Does this mean, for example, that Seven of Nine will now be known as Eight of Ten? ;)
And here I was wondering about things like Definitely Not Swedish, that would now download a card called "My Second Raygun"... :shifty:

Anyone taking over/unders on when a card accidentally breaks a download this way? :P

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Wouldn't Distraction, if affected by Let Me Help, basically double the card, so there are two people randomly selected, and then your opponent chooses a matching personnel for each, and the you check each pair to see if it's stopped?

Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but that seems fairly straightforward compared to....much of 1E.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Socializing with the Staff: To get past requires a female. All female personnel are "stopped," but if two [three] or more present, one [two] must continue (random selection).

Stop all but 2 ❖ [Bor], your unique Borg ...and your queen.
The Borg Queen counts as female for Borg-related cards.
Looking for Par'mach: To get past requires a male and a female OR OFFICER and CUNNING>60 [61]. Opponent may then download and seed here up to two [three] of the following: Distraction, Strange Bedfellows, Brief Romance, or Unexpected.

Shore Leave: To get past requires a male and a female OR Honor + INTEGRITY>50 [51]. Opponent may then download and seed here up to two [three] of the following (except Combo dilemmas): Female's Love Interest, Male's Love Interest, Parallel Romance, or Wind Dancer.

Would both of these dilemmas only require 1 ❖ [Bor] or are you only allowed to provide a single gender to meet requirements at a time?
Last edited by Latok on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This actually makes it EASIER for Borg to pass gender related dilemma. They aren’t forced into the more difficult options on cards like shore leave and will blow right past Matriarchal Society instead of wasting an Adapt. Nice trade off in exchange to the minor hassle of love interests.

Socializing with the staff is BRUTAL for :borg: though
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]