This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 109 posts

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
KazonPADD wrote:
Iron Prime wrote:How much work was it to find a "fix" for [OS] [Fed] ships? i.e. that Tactic from social media and Lt. Jose Tyler, etc.?
No. There is another.
Can we make all the answers in this thread going forward Star Wars quotes? ;)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:Can we make all the answers in this thread going forward Star Wars quotes? ;)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
jjh wrote:Yep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick work, Johnny!

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote:I'm wondering about the Preserver Obelisk ability for missions and personnel.
The word "Natives" on Investigate Quarantine and Review Mining Operation for personnel is already used for quadrants, which isn't the case here. Native as is born there also isn't the case.
"Natives" is not a game play term for the people that Preserver Obelisk can download. When we were working on the card internally we called these people Natives, but of course it's not limited to people who are born there and can get people who simply visited. It looks like for the reference the old shorthand was used and it would probably be clearer if the caption was "Preserver Obelisk" instead of "Natives"

- James M

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Yeah, the whole term Native has bugged me too since we already have Lt. Commander Giotto as a native of Janus VI and Lt. José Tyler as a native of Talos IV and both (especially the latter) are way wrong... but I can't think of a better term for this gameplay concept. (Hopefully the card search function doesn't choke on the accented e)

While we're at it, General Order 7 does a lot to encourage the Federation to go to Talos IV for an order that was the one remaining death penalty in the Federation if you went there. I might just need to repeat to myself "It's just a game, I should really just relax" on that one though.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Database has it as uninfected e.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:While we're at it, General Order 7 does a lot to encourage the Federation to go to Talos IV for an order that was the one remaining death penalty in the Federation if you went there. I might just need to repeat to myself "It's just a game, I should really just relax" on that one though.
It's supposed to be recreating the events of The Menagerie, I think, where you're trying to get Pike back to Talos IV. That's why it's restricted to [OS] [Fed] and no other version of the affiliation. The theme could probably have been reinforced better with some caveat about getting a bonus if you put Christopher Pike out-of-play or beneath the Incident for bonus points or whatever, but I think that's the thematic intent of the card.

TL;DR - it's less about, "Hey ignore the one and only death penalty in the Federation" and more, "re-enact the events of Menagerie."

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Legate_Damar wrote:
Boffo97 wrote:While we're at it, General Order 7 does a lot to encourage the Federation to go to Talos IV for an order that was the one remaining death penalty in the Federation if you went there. I might just need to repeat to myself "It's just a game, I should really just relax" on that one though.
It's supposed to be recreating the events of The Menagerie, I think, where you're trying to get Pike back to Talos IV. That's why it's restricted to [OS] [Fed] and no other version of the affiliation. The theme could probably have been reinforced better with some caveat about getting a bonus if you put Christopher Pike out-of-play or beneath the Incident for bonus points or whatever, but I think that's the thematic intent of the card.

TL;DR - it's less about, "Hey ignore the one and only death penalty in the Federation" and more, "re-enact the events of Menagerie."
Just think of the title as "HQ: Return Pike to Talos" then it makes total gameplay sense.

:wink:

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I love it when Design and Creative can take a bad episode and make a cool card from it. I'm curious about how Primal Urges came about, especially since it is not from a TOS episode. Did the designers have the Threshold story in mind from the start? Or perhaps another story, a TOS story? Did the story choice cause the designers to go back and make any changes to the card?
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Primal Urges started life as "gender fluid love interest:"
In the 24th century, sexuality was often fluid. Ezri Tigan found love without care. Mr. Brunt claimed, "when it comes to men, she's particular."
Instead of getting one of each gender, you would choose a gender (male, female, or neuter) and a random member of the target gender would run off to furthest planet. Charlie in particular hoped to create a card that represented more modern views on gender than 1E (a game from 1995) generally follows.

At some point, we turned it into Rajiin.

This wasn't working for various reasons -- the power level wasn't shaking out where we wanted it, the text on Let Me Help (which was still in flux) interacted confusingly with the text on genderfluid love interest, and it wasn't clear creatively why neuter personnel like The Artificial Intelligence and the Pralor Units would have any interest in romance.

At this point, it became "a male and a female". Creative now got its hands on it and made it Mountain Retreat, themed around Archer and Hernandez's tryst in "Home".

Then Creative had second thoughts and turned it into Primal Urges. A day after that, they asked to make it nullified with 2 ANIMAL, given the new story. We thought that was groovy.

That pretty much locked down the card, although there was a dispute over whether there should be a comma after "to get past" that led to an all-staff discussion about "to get past" grammar at the next all-staff meeting.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
BCSWowbagger wrote:Primal Urges started life as "gender fluid love interest:"
In the 24th century, sexuality was often fluid. Ezri Tigan found love without care. Mr. Brunt claimed, "when it comes to men, she's particular."
Instead of getting one of each gender, you would choose a gender (male, female, or neuter) and a random member of the target gender would run off to furthest planet. Charlie in particular hoped to create a card that represented more modern views on gender than 1E (a game from 1995) generally follows.

At some point, we turned it into Rajiin.

This wasn't working for various reasons -- the power level wasn't shaking out where we wanted it, the text on Let Me Help (which was still in flux) interacted confusingly with the text on genderfluid love interest, and it wasn't clear creatively why neuter personnel like The Artificial Intelligence and the Pralor Units would have any interest in romance.

At this point, it became "a male and a female". Creative now got its hands on it and made it Mountain Retreat, themed around Archer and Hernandez's tryst in "Home".

Then Creative had second thoughts and turned it into Primal Urges. A day after that, they asked to make it nullified with 2 ANIMAL, given the new story. We thought that was groovy.

That pretty much locked down the card, although there was a dispute over whether there should be a comma after "to get past" that led to an all-staff discussion about "to get past" grammar at the next all-staff meeting.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: This wasn't working for various reasons -- the power level wasn't shaking out where we wanted it, the text on Let Me Help (which was still in flux) interacted confusingly with the text on genderfluid love interest, and it wasn't clear creatively why neuter personnel like The Artificial Intelligence and the Pralor Units would have any interest in romance.

At this point, it became "a male and a female".
Bummer that we ended up falling back into bad habits, though. :(
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]