This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The problem is that "opponent" is actually not defined in the glossary and the only thing I can find in the new rulebook is "opponent's is shorthand for cards an opponent controls." Since a self controlled dilemma is controlled by neither player as soon as it's in play, it's gametext is read with that knowledge - ie "opponent" has no meanin since it has no controller when the text triggers as it reaches the spaceline end. I've seen people rule it "the player who didn't encounter it" but I've never seen that as a definitively correct ruling bc I don't agree that text triggers when faced, it triggers when it leaves the spaceline end.

So imho the prevailing logic fails twice: it's uncontrolled while you are reading it and as such opponent has no meaning AND that text box, like other text boxes are actually always checking (ie: attacks all ships here) so given that, ass vessel should be checking "am I off the spaceline, yes? Who it's the opponent" and it figures that out then, not before.

Tldr: just glossary this dilemma pleaze

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:The problem is that "opponent" is actually not defined in the glossary and the only thing I can find in the new rulebook is "opponent's is shorthand for cards an opponent controls." Since a self controlled dilemma is controlled by neither player as soon as it's in play, it's gametext is read with that knowledge - ie "opponent" has no meanin since it has no controller when the text triggers as it reaches the spaceline end. I've seen people rule it "the player who didn't encounter it" but I've never seen that as a definitively correct ruling bc I don't agree that text triggers when faced, it triggers when it leaves the spaceline end.

So imho the prevailing logic fails twice: it's uncontrolled while you are reading it and as such opponent has no meaning AND that text box, like other text boxes are actually always checking (ie: attacks all ships here) so given that, ass vessel should be checking "am I off the spaceline, yes? Who it's the opponent" and it figures that out then, not before.

Tldr: just glossary this dilemma pleaze
Potential ruling: “When a self card is downloaded into play, treat its game text as if it was being read by the opponent of the card’s Owner”.

Now it is being read as of my opponent encountered it during a mission attempt.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:opponent should be defined as the "player not owning or controlling the card"
Can't use the same word for both, since it's entirely possible for the owner and the controller to be different players. (Assimilated Borg, for instance).

[Self] cards shouldn't care about "opponent" (almost by definition, since they're not controlled by either player).

Assimilated Vessel should say "owner", since that's the term for "she who seeded this".

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Ensign Q wrote:opponent should be defined as the "player not owning or controlling the card"
Can't use the same word for both, since it's entirely possible for the owner and the controller to be different players. (Assimilated Borg, for instance).

[Self] cards shouldn't care about "opponent" (almost by definition, since they're not controlled by either player).

Assimilated Vessel should say "owner", since that's the term for "she who seeded this".
but that fundamentally changes the card... since at this point i can't score 10 points by popping my own self-seeded assimilated vessel and waiting for it to go off the spaceline end. if i do that, my "opponent" scores the 10.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]