This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I want to thank Ben for starting this topic and pointing out the apparent problem with these cards. We took at look to make sure we hadn't missed something, and I'm here to tell you today that we won't be making changes to either Obsession or Urgent Warning.

It's possible that you could have your monster put on a short spaceline, but that is a risk of having the card. There are lots of monsters you can get into play by seeding them. Later in the game, you have more control of movement; so, even if your Spaceborne Entity gets put at Bajoran Wormhole in the MQ, you can go get it and its tasty, tasty points.

Monster hunting will still be fun. And, as was pointed out - you can play QSD for free. Just stock a Make it So to fight on your terms, or wait for the monster to shoot you and hit it with It Must Be Destroyed.

-crp

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
KazonPADD wrote:
bhosp wrote:
commdecker wrote:There are existing hunter decks that are prepared to go to any quadrant to find their prey. You think the monster hunters are just going to give up? They'll stock Quantum Slipstream Drive like everyone else.
That feeling when you notice QSD “plays on” a ship.
Happy happy Kazon! :wink: :shifty:

Yes but the ship must be staffed and you can ask your opponent to show the staffing.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
MidnightLich wrote:I want to thank Ben for starting this topic and pointing out the apparent problem with these cards. We took at look to make sure we hadn't missed something, and I'm here to tell you today that we won't be making changes to either Obsession or Urgent Warning.

It's possible that you could have your monster put on a short spaceline, but that is a risk of having the card. There are lots of monsters you can get into play by seeding them. Later in the game, you have more control of movement; so, even if your Spaceborne Entity gets put at Bajoran Wormhole in the MQ, you can go get it and its tasty, tasty points.

Monster hunting will still be fun. And, as was pointed out - you can play QSD for free. Just stock a Make it So to fight on your terms, or wait for the monster to shoot you and hit it with It Must Be Destroyed.

-crp
:thumbsup:

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
winterflames wrote:I don't think secondary market, brace, or shipwright actually play on the ship.
Yeah I'd go with this. They play to give a ship an effect, they don't directly play on a ship

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
not sure the card is any useful when it does nothing as soon as your opponent opens a random quad. :(

would have like it more if which end was the only choice.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:not sure the card is any useful when it does nothing as soon as your opponent opens a random quad. :(

would have like it more if which end was the only choice.
But... Which end is the only choice. Such three dimensional thinking. 2 for [1E-DQ] delta, 2 for [1E-GQ] gamma, 2 for [MQ] mirror, and 2 for [AQ] alpha. Only one choice.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Pants o.t. Tal Shiar wrote:So you have to reveal which Self you download before your opponent decides which spaceline end to put it at?
I don't think so. Our intent was no, anyway. Thinking was you get it out of the deck, then opponent picks end, then you reveal, then put in play. But the game text is not a thousand percent clear, I don't recall what we communicated to Rules, and I don't have confidence in my interpretations of cards I worked on.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Pants o.t. Tal Shiar wrote:So you have to reveal which Self you download before your opponent decides which spaceline end to put it at?
I don't think so. Our intent was no, anyway. Thinking was you get it out of the deck, then opponent picks end, then you reveal, then put in play. But the game text is not a thousand percent clear, I don't recall what we communicated to Rules, and I don't have confidence in my interpretations of cards I worked on.
That doesn't sound right. Revealing a card is part of downloading it, which finishes before you place it anywhere. Do Hidden Agendas that you download get placed on table, then revealed, then re-hidden? Or do you download them, reveal them as part of the download, and then place them face down on the table?

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:
That doesn't sound right. Revealing a card is part of downloading it, which finishes before you place it anywhere. Do Hidden Agendas that you download get placed on table, then revealed, then re-hidden? Or do you download them, reveal them as part of the download, and then place them face down on the table?
This is my line of thinking as well. My only reservation is whether, the put into play is a separate action from the download or if they are a single action. If separate, then it would work as indicated above, the chosen card is revealed when targeted for the initiation of the download action and then a location is chosen for the put into play action. If download and put into play is a single action, then both targets are chosen during the initiation of the action, in which case it is unclear if either target need be revealed before the other. If it is the latter case I would say have the downloader search for the card and place it on the table face down, then have the opponent choose the location and put the downloaded card into play.
bhosp wrote:If you download an Assimilated Vessel with Obsession or Urgent Warning and it moves off the end of the spaceline, who gets the points?
My thinking is that neither player would get the points. When Assimilated Vessel is encountered in a mission or scouting attempt, the opponent who would score points is set as the opponent of the player that just encountered the dilemma. However, when downloaded by either Urgent Warning or Obsession, this does not occur. And since Assimilated Vessel is not under either player's control, opponent would have no meaning in the same way that it would a card under a player's control, Static Warp Bubble for example.
MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]