This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Ambassador
By rsutton41 (Ryan Sutton)
 - Ambassador
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
If a ❖ Universal personnel uses their [DL] and it is blocked by Computer Crash other copies of that Universal personnel can't use that download later in the game correct?
Last edited by rsutton41 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
I believe revealing a Computer Crash in response to any [DL] makes the Crash in play from the beginning of that whole action, so the download is invalid and the [DL] is not used. I think.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote:I believe revealing a Computer Crash in response to any [DL] makes the Crash in play from the beginning of that whole action, so the download is invalid and the [DL] is not used. I think.
This is correct. Crash = it never happened.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:This is correct. Crash = it never happened.
:thumbsup:

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
The only times the [DL] is used up is when your successfully download a card or when you try to download something from your deck, hand, Q’s Tent, Zalkonian Storage Capsule, Battle Bridge side deck or Dyson Sphere side deck and there are no copies available to download. In that case the action is used up (even if it’s invalid) and your opponent gets to look through your deck to verify the download can’t be completed.

Just don’t ask me what happens if you [DL] a card and then fail Temporal Causality Loop as the next thing.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
okay I always thought a canceled download still "pays the cost" becuase of this:

"Attempting a download usually requires the expenditure of some resource such as playing a card, using a special icon, or forfeiting a card draw. That resource remains used even if the download is invalid"

but that only applies if you cannot complete the download because you don't have the target card in your deck?

dang that makes me a lot less afraid of computer crash if that is true LOL

but you DO lose the resource if a card is played on the table that you cannot play again, right? like playing AMS, or commandeering Empok Nor.
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:okay I always thought a canceled download still "pays the cost" becuase of this:

"Attempting a download usually requires the expenditure of some resource such as playing a card, using a special icon, or forfeiting a card draw. That resource remains used even if the download is invalid"
This is accurate, but does not apply to computer crash because of the funny way hidden agendas retroactively affect the actions they're responding to. If somebody played, say, an interrupt that nullified a download (I don't think there is one, but there could be), then the download would be used up. But HA cards "look back" to just before the action and (in this case) prevent it from ever starting.

So there are, theoretically, other ways to invalidate or nullify a download, but, in practice, the only way to lose it completely is to not have a copy of the target card available.

This is confusing but I'm not sure of a good way to simplify it.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Takket wrote:okay I always thought a canceled download still "pays the cost" becuase of this:

This is accurate, but does not apply to computer crash because of the funny way hidden agendas retroactively affect the actions they're responding to. If somebody played, say, an interrupt that nullified a download (I don't think there is one, but there could be), then the download would be used up. But HA cards "look back" to just before the action and (in this case) prevent it from ever starting.

So there are, theoretically, other ways to invalidate or nullify a download, but, in practice, the only way to lose it completely is to not have a copy of the target card available.

In a recent game, a player used Kes to special download The Gift. I played Quinn to nullify the event, which prevented my opponent from escaping my dilemma. The download, in that case, was used up. If I'd used Computer Crash, the download would never have been allowed in the first place, and my opponent could have tried again next turn.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:

In a recent game, a player used Kes to special download The Gift. I played Quinn to nullify the event, which prevented my opponent from escaping my dilemma. The download, in that case, was used up. If I'd used Computer Crash, the download would never have been allowed in the first place, and my opponent could have tried again next turn.

-crp
Yeah that was me.

That's what I get for playing Quinn in my Masters deck and bringing sexy back. :P

Side note, Does Kes still leave play in that situation? In-game we decided she didn't but thinking about it later, I wasn't sure that was right (and it didn't really matter since Charlie was curb stomping me anyway).

Same with Handshake: If my opponent plays handshake (3rd function) and I cancel it with shrouded assailant, does my opponent still discard their hand or does it just slow them down for a turn?

I'm afraid I'm cross wiring 1e and 2e rules again and that's never good.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Kes would not go away, and neither would the hand. Handshake was nullified, and the download of The Gift was prevented. So neither of those cards actually took effect, and none of their gametext gets read.
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:This is confusing but I'm not sure of a good way to simplify it.

-crp
Well put!

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

An unlimited deck size might be one, from the orig[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]