This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
You do. You brought the card into play. The wording on those cards is a little wonky (because 1E), but it's the same as if you'd seeded it and your opponent had encountered it. They read the card, so you get the points.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
That doesn't seem like it should be right. We've been talking about short spacelines; use this with one and you get free bonus points?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
commdecker wrote:That doesn't seem like it should be right. We've been talking about short spacelines; use this with one and you get free bonus points?
Only if your opponent wants to scumbag your monster hunting. Seems fair, actually...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
That seems strange to me, too (although I like the answer from a gameplay standpoint). If I encounter my own (self-seeded) Assimilated Vessel, isn't it my opponent who scores the points, even though I brought the card into play?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Rachmaninoff wrote:That seems strange to me, too (although I like the answer from a gameplay standpoint). If I encounter my own (self-seeded) Assimilated Vessel, isn't it my opponent who scores the points, even though I brought the card into play?
In the context of a mission attempt the person attempting always reads the cards so if you self seed an AV and it gets away then your opponent DOES score the points.

The problem is that AV isn't really worded to NOT enter play in that context so who the hell knows - that's why I asked the question.

I agree that Charlie's answer isn't intuitive, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. :wink:

Serious question: Did this come up in the development of this set at all? I can't believe that Me and Benhosp were the only ones to see it.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:In the context of a mission attempt the person attempting always reads the cards so if you self seed an AV and it gets away then your opponent DOES score the points.
Right, but if I play or download a card outside of a mission attempt, "opponent" means "opponent." I play Gint, I download 211th Rule of Acquisition, and it is my opponent who has to discard before playing cards. I play Urgent Warning, I download Assimilated Vessel, and I would think my opponent is the one who would score the points... if I download the card (and a normal download, not a download-and-seed), I'm the one who is "reading" it.
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]