This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Would you want a 1E subforum specifically devoted to Rules questions?

Yes. A forum specifically for rules would be a big help.
47%
No. Let's just have one big rules megathread in this forum.
9%
No. Allow separate topics for rules questions as long as they're distinct.
34%
Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?
9%

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
With the recent discussion of a possible Rules subforum, I decided to start a poll on it and get community opinion instead of just making a decision.

The way I see it, there are four main factors to consider between these choices:

* Potential for (probably unintentional) topic spam in the General forum.

* Separation of topics for the sake of keeping it clear which rules question one is referring to and for later searching.

* How active mods have to be with moving and merging threads, which has the potential to cause unhappiness.

* How spread out conversations are, as some may only read the general forum for their favorite version of the game.

The option for no rules forum, each rules question can be its own thread as long as it’s distinct has high topic spam potential, but offers separation of topics, minimal mod activity and everything’s in the general forum.

The option for no rules forum, one big rules questions megathread has no topic spam potential, but no separation of topics, the highest amount of mod activity to enforce but everything is again in the general forum.

The option for a rules forum has no topic spam potential, has separation of topics, moderate mod activity (mods only have to worry about moving rules questions to the rules forum), but that’s one more forum people have to check.

What do you guys think?

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Is it safe to assume that the 4th option is some sort of opaque sports or wrestling reference?

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I always put a non sequitur in my polls because it's more fun than "I don't know/Other".

In this case, MST3K had a bit of a running gag where they would make this reference from time to time in reference to the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
... So it isn't a sports reference, it is instead a cult film and ... Whatever MST3K is reference.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
winterflames wrote:... So it isn't a sports reference, it is instead a cult film and ... Whatever MST3K is reference.
Mystery Science Theater 3000

Google it.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
MST3K is short for Mystery Science Theater 3000, a show where they showed bad movies and basically "riffed" on them the whole way through (cracked jokes, made references, etc.)

There are a lot of full episodes on YouTube. You must see this show or we will be coming for your nerd card.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I have seen it on cable back in the day and on Netflix recently. Strange little robot puppets.

I have never felt the need to watch movies with commentary, humorous or otherwise. I enjoy story and immersion.

I hold a geek card, sir. I was a drama techie in high school, not chess club.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
winterflames wrote:I hold a geek card, sir. I was a drama techie in high school, not chess club.
I'll allow it, but only if we can ally against the dorks and the dweebs when they come for us. ;)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I personally think the random rules topic fills this just fine. The response time is usually less than a hr. I combined all my topics in one then it became a mess inside one thread. A rules sub forum would not add more to the forums. It might even leave alot of questions unanswered too. The random rules thread is fine.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i definitely dont want to have a thread for every question.

when i came back to the game i was happy to read all the greater rule threads and learned a lot, so a megathread is not the worst thing. sometimes your question get lost there though.

rules subforum would be fine for me as well, but as discovery said, has the risk nobody will ever answer there

btw why cant i change my vote?
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Discovery suxs wrote:I personally think the random rules topic fills this just fine. The response time is usually less than a hr. I combined all my topics in one then it became a mess inside one thread. A rules sub forum would not add more to the forums. It might even leave alot of questions unanswered too. The random rules thread is fine.
I think because the questions get answered so quickly they should be kept to a single thread. Creating topics that have 2-3 posts in them isn't helpful because clearly people don't search for answers to their questions before asking them so having a rules thread that isn't easy to search is moot.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:i definitely dont want to have a thread for every question.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ensign Q wrote:when i came back to the game i was happy to read all the greater rule threads and learned a lot, so a megathread is not the worst thing. sometimes your question get lost there though.
Then you can quote it, which is a way of in-topic "bumping".
Ensign Q wrote:rules subforum would be fine for me as well, but as discovery said, has the risk nobody will ever answer there
As said elsewhere, some people really want to help. I think I can guarantuee our questions will get answered, as long people like Allan, Bagger, Armus and the like (I do mean you too! Yes, you, if you're wondering! :thumbsup: ) draw breath. And I like to help too -- if I feel confident I know the correct answer.
Ensign Q wrote:btw why cant i change my vote?
It's a poll setting, decided by poller. But if you let Boffo know your new vote, he might want to take that into account, or he might change the setting... maybe... 8)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:I personally think the random rules topic fills this just fine. The response time is usually less than a hr. I combined all my topics in one then it became a mess inside one thread. A rules sub forum would not add more to the forums. It might even leave alot of questions unanswered too. The random rules thread is fine.
I think because the questions get answered so quickly they should be kept to a single thread. Creating topics that have 2-3 posts in them isn't helpful because clearly people don't search for answers to their questions before asking them so having a rules thread that isn't easy to search is moot.
This, too!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote:
I actually do search for a answer before posting a topic. It would save me time in the long run afterall. Of course I'm 38 years old. It seems like alot of people just want the easiest method for themselves. It does not matter if it takes more time in the long run. It is just like a person asking directions. When they are on a 1000 dollar cellphone. You know they got google apps that will answer the question quickly. They just rather you put in the effort than do it themselves.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I answer a lot of rules questions, and I voted strongly yes to a new forum, so no need to worry that they won't be answered in future. They will be easier to answer in their own forum. Just pull out the Glossary and boom boom boom get em all in one go.

I think disentangling the forums would both (a) make people less shy about posting questions (and in separate topics, which is more searchable and more conducive to extended discussion) and (b) inspire more activity in this forum, where I fear rules discussion sometimes chokes off or buries quality gameplay discussion.

So I am really hoping for a "yes, new forum" outcome here. The current situation with a rules megathread would be the worst outcome.

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]