This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
We might say red shirting is dead because no one attempts with one person anymore, but it has just changed forms.

So the question is, with ample time to spare (i.e. you are not throwing everyone at a mission to complete it before time is called), how do you prepare for a mission attempt?

What I've mostly seen is the "red shipping". Ship A has a smaller crew that can pass LoP but is mostly sent to serve as cannon fodder. Ship B will then, if you can pass the next dilemma you know is there, swoop in and try to bust through the rest of the dilemmas. Same principle at space or planet.

Usually Ship B is one mission over to avoid "God". I've been leaving a Transporter skill on my ship A to avoid Jol Yichu at planets.

Is this how you set up for your mission attempts? Anything else you try to do to get ready?
Last edited by Takket on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:We might say red shirting is dead because no one attempts with one person anymore
Speak for yourself! I attempt with one personnel all the time. :)

The Meta is so fickle.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Takket wrote:We might say red shirting is dead because no one attempts with one person anymore
Speak for yourself! I attempt with one personnel all the time. :)

The Meta is so fickle.

Honestly me too. When you lose 20 points on higher the fewer it changes the game. Red shirting gets around alot of really bad dilemmas. A few examples attacks half your away team round up. Kill half your universial personal. Stop all non alinged personal. If you red shirt on any of those you lose 1 person.

By Kander77 (Lee Sneathen)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Why is redshirting dead? While I haven't paid attention in awhile, is there a glut of anti-redshirting dilemmas now?

But even if there is a glut, the solution is to just run expendable people and a few ships. You put the expendable person on a ship, and if they die they die.

Just repeat until you solve.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
A standard would be hanonian land eal.

It kills the shirt and requries strenght >50 after which denevian neural parasit has some effect.

Also the [Ref] Villages with Torches can help.

But still i also think red-shirting is better then "no risk no fun"shirting

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Discovery suxs wrote:Go ahead and red shirt and flip GOD
Ha! That's when I play this! ...and then promptly get DQ'd for playing a card which isn't OTF legal in an OTF event.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:Go ahead and red shirt and flip GOD
That's typically when I walk the next person out of my landed ship. Because, due to the magic of 1e, a landed ship is good enough to have a ship at the mission for God, but also isn't something that can be targeted for destruction by God.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
:o

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
But was that Starship LANDED, Jadzia? Think not... 8)

But. Topic.

In my (Traditional) play group I encouraged we do run some anti-redshirting stuff, but also, some anti-overloading assets. And we balance it, I think; and try this and that -- which is fun. Taking chances either way. Red-shirting is not dead, yet not the only way to go for us, either. Which may be what the game at that time was designed for?

I do like red-shipping, though -- always try to have a second boat handy, with the bulk of my homies on another.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
But was that Starship LANDED, Jadzia? Think not... 8)

But. Topic.

In my (Traditional) play group I encouraged we do run some anti-redshirting stuff, but also, some anti-overloading assets. And we balance it, I think; and try this and that -- which is fun. Taking chances either way. Red-shirting is not dead, yet not the only way to go for us, either. Which may be what the game at that time was designed for?

I do like red-shipping, though -- always try to have a second boat handy, with the bulk of my homies on another.
Higher the fewer is best for big crew. I have honestly lost my ship to GOD then said I'm not reshirting anymore. Bam higher the fewer lost 20 points. So it is a balance when attempting missions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Does Clown: Throne help Hologram Ruse at all? If I need "INTEGRITY > 60 and INTEGRITY > 60" (per the doubled gametext), I only need INTEGRITY > 60, right? Not INTEGRITY > 120 (tho that'd be awesome).

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Does Clown: Throne help Hologram Ruse at all? If I need "INTEGRITY > 60 and INTEGRITY > 60" (per the doubled gametext), I only need INTEGRITY > 60, right? Not INTEGRITY > 120 (tho that'd be awesome).
heh.............

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35929&p=429506&hil ... am#p429506

this is not exactly the same since birthright still requires cunning and integrity, you just use strength numbers to meet those instead. clown actually changes the requirement. but it is only 60, not 120.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]