This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Discovery suxs wrote: Do you agree with me?
No.

Deckbuilder will show this card as "Mr. Scott (The Cage)" once released.

"Captain Scott" would make more sense as a title once his actual rank was captain (Movie era).

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote:
No.

"Captain Scott" would make more sense as a title once his actual rank was captain (Movie era).
If they change it from V to (Cage) I really don't have a problem.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Discovery suxs wrote:
KazonPADD wrote:
No.

If they change it from V to (Cage) I really don't have a problem.
Even if they didn't your suggestion is to sacrifice gameplay for a minor convenience to lazy people, bad idea.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
As for style -- I disagree with Latok. My recent use of the word 'lazy' notwithstanding, I don't think there is such a thing as "a lazy 1e player", on the whole. (Nor in 2e, I reckon.)

But we all try to make it easier on ourselves in different ways, I guess.

(I know I do -- choosing a version of the game [a CCG...] that never changes. Because I'm lazy I really don't like change.)

And it's good to voice that -- I learned that recently from Ensign Q. Don't that take the complexity for granted, but try to see where it could -- perhaps -- be improved. That's not lazy.

As for content -- I do agree with Latok. The designers didn't just randomly slap a name in that bar. They might perhaps make the occasional mistake, sure, but they know what they're doing. Finding fault with every card in the new set, to me, is -- in this case -- a sign of... enthusiastic, engaged impatience.

Let the cards grow on you. Sometimes wait for other people to also give their opinions, read the discussions, and maybe find out that there's merit in these things. Or check out the decks and mechanics -- you do that better than I can, it seems.

And AFTER that, have your sniper cat pump a round in that chamber, and blast the errors out of those cards. (If there are any real errors to be found, by then.)

Just a thought. :thumbsup:
Last edited by SudenKapala on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latok is in violation of the rules. I feel like I'm being called lazy on here. When I'm clearly not lazy at all. A lazy player to me is a person who downloads a deck and just plays it. Later the same player asks rules found in the rulebook and glossary. The main purpose of a deck builder game is deckbuilding above everything else. If a player does not want to build a deck then they should play something else to me anyway. I'm a unique deck builder myself. So if you play against me then we won't have the same decks. It is why I hate standard mtg. I play the game for fun and original gameplay to enjoy all the game has to offer me.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Not sure the complaint is valid honestly. Look around. Riker has four unique personas called William T. Riker. Deanna has four unique personas called Deanna Troi. Sisko has four unique personas called Benjamin Sisko. Picard has five personas called Jean-Luc Picard. Worf has five unique personas named Worf. Data has six unique personas called Data. Quark has six unique personas called Quark. It's hardly a new thing and while it might not show much creativity as far naming conventions go it's still literally who they are and just a symptom of being main characters who can get just about anything.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
If we had given him a different title, he'd need to then be a persona of Mr. Scott and have that in bold in his lore. He was already tight on lore, and doing that would have not really added a lot of gameplay options. I think we did consider Acting Captain Scott at some point, but it was just easier to use his existing persona name than bend over backwards to be a little more thematic.

-crp
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Discovery suxs wrote:Latok is in violation of the rules. I feel like I'm being called lazy on here. When I'm clearly not lazy at all. A lazy player to me is a person who downloads a deck and just plays it. Later the same player asks rules found in the rulebook and glossary. The main purpose of a deck builder game is deckbuilding above everything else. If a player does not want to build a deck then they should play something else to me anyway. I'm a unique deck builder myself. So if you play against me then we won't have the same decks. It is why I hate standard mtg. I play the game for fun and original gameplay to enjoy all the game has to offer me.
It's a violation of the rules to call you lazy but not when you call other people lazy? Let's assume your complaint actually made sense, there's two virtual Mr. Scott's both have different card numbers, go to the search engine find which one you want, problem solved, gameplay preserved.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I may be wrong but there was probably enough room to put Mr. Scott often served as acting captain of the Starship Enterprise instead of just using 'he' at the start of that sentence. But it's also true it wouldn't have really added anything either really. Not really sure the inability to report where that McCoy is really a huge gain or loss either but it is a thing too.

By Dmour
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:As for style -- I disagree with Latok. My recent use of the word 'lazy' notwithstanding, I don't think there is such a thing as "a lazy 1e player", on the whole. (Nor in 2e, I reckon.)

(I know I do -- choosing a version of the game [a CCG...] that never changes. Because I'm lazy I really don't like change.)

And it's good to voice that -- I learned that recently from Ensign Q. Don't that the complexity for granted, but try to see where it could -- perhaps -- be improved. That's not lazy.

As for content -- I do agree with Latok. The designers didn't just randomly slap a name in that bar. They might perhaps make the occasional mistake, sure, but they know what they're doing. Finding fault with every card in the new set, to me, is -- in this case -- a sign of... enthusiastic, engaged impatience.

Let the cards grow on you. Sometimes wait for other people to also give their opinions, read the discussions, and maybe find out that there's merit in these things. Or check out the decks and mechanics -- you do that better than I can, it seems.

And AFTER that, have your sniper cat pump a round in that chamber, and blast the errors out of those cards. (If there are any real errors to be found, by then.)

Perfectly stated. I want to frame this.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dmour wrote:
Suden Kapala wrote:As for style -- I disagree with Latok. My recent use of the word 'lazy' notwithstanding, I don't think there is such a thing as "a lazy 1e player", on the whole. (Nor in 2e, I reckon.)

And it's good to voice that -- I learned that recently from Ensign Q. Don't that the complexity for granted, but try to see where it could -- perhaps -- be improved. That's not lazy.

Even when those few errors are found that doesn't always mean anything gets done about it though.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Dmour wrote:

Nice! Thx. :D You can frame it. I'll even autograph it for you, if you feel that such makes it of more worth to you personally. ;)

(Compliments are nice. :) )
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]