This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
A year ago, I was playing Hero of the Empire, and Austin was playing Dominion Capture.

Austin invaded my Deep Space K-7 and captured Kirk. Using the default 1E rule of “if we can’t figure out what the real rule is, then whatever is awesome is the rule”, we figured that my Hero Of The Empire doesn’t prevent my opponent from moving Kirk away as a captive, so the Dominion took him into protective custody to escape from the Tribble Bomb.

But what’s the real rule?
1. Does Hero of the Empire prevent Captain Kirk from being moved by my opponent if he’s a captive?
2. What about if he’s been taken over by a Ceti Eel or had his Pain Released?
3. What about the Borg? He no longer counts as “Captain Kirk” once he’s been assimilated, but does Hero of the Empire he be abducted prior to assimilation (by Assimilate Counterpart or the Talon Drone?)
4. Can Tribble Bomb even target a captive anyway?

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Off the top of my head....

Captives can still be targeted by stuff. I reckon he wouldn't be able to move, but still get evil fluff in the face.

There's nothing in the Borg rules that states their name is irrelevant, so he'd still be Captain Kirk, and not able to move.

Overall, I'd like to think that Hero's move restriction overrides everything you listed.
Last edited by sexecutioner on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:A year ago, I was playing Hero of the Empire, and Austin was playing Dominion Capture.

Austin invaded my Deep Space K-7 and captured Kirk. Using the default 1E rule of “if we can’t figure out what the real rule is, then whatever is awesome is the rule”, we figured that my Hero Of The Empire doesn’t prevent my opponent from moving Kirk away as a captive, so the Dominion took him into protective custody to escape from the Tribble Bomb.

But what’s the real rule?
1. Does Hero of the Empire prevent Captain Kirk from being moved by my opponent if he’s a captive?
2. What about if he’s been taken over by a Ceti Eel or had his Pain Released?
3. What about the Borg? He no longer counts as “Captain Kirk” once he’s been assimilated, but does Hero of the Empire he be abducted prior to assimilation (by Assimilate Counterpart or the Talon Drone?)
4. Can Tribble Bomb even target a captive anyway?

Just adding card links.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
Fun fact:

If you were somehow able to get him into stasis, then the Bomb wouldn't be able to target him :D
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote: 3. What about the Borg? He no longer counts as “Captain Kirk” once he’s been assimilated, but does Hero of the Empire he be abducted prior to assimilation (by Assimilate Counterpart or the Talon Drone?)
I'm curious - what do you mean by "he no longer counts as Captain Kirk"?

(The rest of the answers are all "he may not be moved", btw. :) )
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
2E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
sexecutioner wrote:Fun fact:

If you were somehow able to get him into stasis, then the Bomb wouldn't be able to target him :D
"We can't move him. He appears to be transfixed by all the Tribbles and we'll have no way to find the Bomb in time... What do we do?" - asks the strangely talkative android.

"Then there is only one thing we can do..." said Spock, placing the android's hand on Kirk just so before beaming back to the ship. "You're going to attack him."

Vulcan Nerve Pinch

(Bomb goes off shortly thereafter)

The ensign looks at Spock, a look of confused astonishment on his face. "How did you know that would work?"

Spock, raising an eyebrow ever so slightly, replied, "It's only logical."

Michael,
being weird
Last edited by The Ninja Scot on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
AllenGould wrote:
bhosp wrote: 3. What about the Borg? He no longer counts as “Captain Kirk” once he’s been assimilated, but does Hero of the Empire he be abducted prior to assimilation (by Assimilate Counterpart or the Talon Drone?)
I'm curious - what do you mean by "he no longer counts as Captain Kirk"?

(The rest of the answers are all "he may not be moved", btw. :) )
I'll requote my above post.
sexecutioner wrote:There's nothing in the Borg rules that states their name is irrelevant, so he'd still be Captain Kirk, and not able to move.
I think that because he thought he no longer counted as 'Captain Kirk' (because he thought that assimilation removes the name) that he could be moved.
 -  
Community Contributor
sexecutioner wrote: I think that because he thought he no longer counted as 'Captain Kirk' (because he thought that assimilation removes the name) that he could be moved.
I caught that was the concept - just wasn't sure if there was a rules change I'd missed.

The stasis trick is neat, but I'm pretty sure Kirk still ain't goin' nowhere. (Since nothing overrides the card saying he can't move.)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Unless I'm mistaken, Dimensional Shifting is just another form of relocation.

Rule-of-thumb-rough-and-ready definitions:

Moving: moving (under your own power)
Relocation: getting moved (by something else)

Any time a card is in one place and then an action causes it to be a different place, one of those two things has occurred, either to the card itself or to something carrying the card (like a ship or a planet).
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, Dimensional Shifting is just another form of relocation.
I would agree, but the card does say "place" (for no reason I can fathom).

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, Dimensional Shifting is just another form of relocation.
It would be a bit of a stretch to define place as an euphemism of relocate. The spirit of the entry would likely include it but the letter of the entry does not consider place to be a form of relocation, and it isnt a form of movement either. So at the moment, I would be very tempted to say that Kirk could get shifted around by this
 -  
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
It would be a bit of a stretch to define place as an euphemism of relocate. The spirit of the entry would likely include it but the letter of the entry does not consider place to be a form of relocation, and it isnt a form of movement either. So at the moment, I would be very tempted to say that Kirk could get shifted around by this
"Place" is a weird word to use, because it's almost always used to bring things into play or out of play. Dilemmas and artifacts are placed into hand or table. Cards get placed on top of or under your draw deck. [HA] cards place whereever they go when revealed.

To place a card from one location to another seems pretty rare, far as I can tell.

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a shi[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I won't be available Saturday the 27th. Have other[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]