This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Since there is a new free TOS engine. I'm sure alot people think it is better just because it is new card. Well let's look at all 3 to find the answer.

Sherman's Peak

Postives

You get a facility in the seed phase
You can download a type of treaty card
Tribble bomb is pointless here
Hero the empire is nullified
You can use temporal investigations
You can use both crossovers.

Deep space K7

You get 1 free play engine
Equipment can be free

Negatives

If you want more than 1 free play. You need protect the timeline or combo with something else like Halkan Council.
You need a way to time travel like temporal conduit or protect the timeline.
You need the corrponding mission.
Only [1E-AU] [OS] can report for free.

Halkan Council

Postives
You get a ship in the seed phase.
You can use the download in the seed phase too.
Equipment can be free.
You get 1 freeplay a turn.
You can use temporal investigations.

Negatives

If you want more than 1 free play. You need protect the timeline or combo with something else like Shermans peak.
You need a way to time travel like temporal conduit or protect the timeline.
You need the corrponding mission.
Only [1E-AU] [MQ] [OS] report for free.

Final Frontier

Postives

You get a ship first turn.
2 free plays a turn.

Negatives

Only matching [1E-AU] [OS] or [1E-AU] [NA] are free.
The way the card reads the free play is only on your ship. So no ship no free plays.
You can't play anything other than TOS people for free.
You can't use time locations
Temporal investigations is nullified.
Both crossovers are nullified. So pretty much shuts down the mirror people coming over or the other way.
The biggest negative not mentioned anywhere I have seen is your equipment is not free. Which is a big deal with TOS people.

Final thoughts

I think I hit everything there. Please let me know if I missed something dealing with these 3 cards. My recommendation is it really comes down to what you want to build honestly. Final frontier is not flat out better than the other cards. It just presents another option for the deck. It really does not help mirror universe over the council. Of course it was not really for the mirror people anyway. You could just use it for them.

So what are your thoughts?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:Since there is a new free TOS engine. I'm sure alot people think it is better just because it is new card. Well let's look at all 3 to find the answer.

Sherman's Peak

Postives

Deep space K7

I'm not clear what you're saying with the bolded points. You only nullify HotE if you scan a tribble bomb with a tricorder. That's not really a plus, especially if you aren't prepared for it.

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Discovery suxs wrote: The biggest negative not mentioned anywhere I have seen is your equipment is not free. Which is a big deal with TOS people.

I don't agree with this point. In my experience, the biggest impact TOS equipment has is not once it is in play; it's real power comes from downloading the equipment while facing dilemmas. I've had a lot of games where I never needed to change the skills gained from Classic Tricorder or Classic Communicator after the initial download; that's why in most of my decks the equipment is not actually in the draw deck, but in the tent. Using your card draws and plays on getting bodies into play is usually more important than equipment.

About the new card in general:
I like the fact that you are not tied to a specific mission, that gives you a lot more options compared to Sherman's Peak - if spaceline seeding works out badly for you, you might find yourself in a tough position for the entire game. With The Final Frontier's ability to operate from wherever you have an outpost, you have some flexibility that can make the difference. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how people use [OS] in the coming weeks.
Last edited by Kaiser on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:Since there is a new free TOS engine. I'm sure alot people think it is better just because it is new card. Well let's look at all 3 to find the answer.

Sherman's Peak

Postives

Deep space K7

I'm not clear what you're saying with the bolded points. You only nullify HotE if you scan a tribble bomb with a tricorder. That's not really a plus, especially if you aren't prepared for it.
Honestly as far as the bolded points. I read the card only. I have never played hote or tribble bomb. They always seemed like more trouble than it was worth to me.

Kaiser wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote: The biggest negative not mentioned anywhere I have seen is your equipment is not free. Which is a big deal with TOS people.

I don't agree with this point. In my experience, the biggest impact TOS equipment has is not once it is in play; it's real power comes from downloading the equipment while facing dilemmas. I've had a lot of games where I never needed to change the skills gained from Classic Tricorder or Classic Communicator after the initial download; that's why in most of my decks the equipment is not actually in the draw deck, but in the tent. Using your card draws and plays on getting bodies into play is usually more important than equipment.

True alot of people download equipment. I have never thought about saving it for until I encounter a dilemma. I'm a better safe than sorry player.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I mainly like mirror TOS. So equipment is very valuable to me. If I start with [MQ] spock or [MQ] kirk in my hand. It is a great thing. I use the [MQ] enterprise to download the one not in my hand. [MQ] spock can get any tos equipment. I always get classic communicator. Tos are limited on some skills. The sharing between kirk and spock goes along way. Right now I have the council and terrian hideout in the same deck. Fully capture the terrian federation empire. So final frontier would not work with that deck of course.

I do agree with you Kaiser about seeing new ideas in the future generated by this new set.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Discovery suxs wrote:I mainly like mirror TOS. So equipment is very valuable to me. If I start with [MQ] spock or [MQ] kirk in my hand. It is a great thing. I use the [MQ] enterprise to download the one not in my hand. [MQ] spock can get any tos equipment. I always get classic communicator. Tos are limited on some skills. The sharing between kirk and spock goes along way. Right now I have the council and terrian hideout in the same deck. Fully capture the terrian federation empire. So final frontier would not work with that deck of course.

I do agree with you Kaiser about seeing new ideas in the future generated by this new set.
The equipment is very useful but not as free plays, just download it.

"Replace equipment can play for free" with "Ships can play for free" and I would agree with the points.

You can play non- [1E-AU] personnel for free at Deep Space Station K-7, like Bashir, if you can play them at the location, for example with Crew Reassignment.
The way the card reads the free play is only on your ship. So no ship no free plays.
The Final Frontier lets you make anyone playing at the location free, so aboard the facility it is seeded on or aboard a ship if you can report to the ship. If Vulcan still wasn't a homeworld it would allow your [OS] Vulcans to play for free.

Also you can actually still use time locations, you just can't report to them, so you could still seed Drone Control Room and get use out of it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:I mainly like mirror TOS. So equipment is very valuable to me. If I start with [MQ] spock or [MQ] kirk in my hand. It is a great thing. I use the [MQ] enterprise to download the one not in my hand. [MQ] spock can get any tos equipment. I always get classic communicator. Tos are limited on some skills. The sharing between kirk and spock goes along way. Right now I have the council and terrian hideout in the same deck. Fully capture the terrian federation empire. So final frontier would not work with that deck of course.

"Replace equipment can play for free" with "Ships can play for free" and I would agree with the points.

You can play non- [1E-AU] personnel for free at Deep Space Station K-7, like Bashir, if you can play them at the location, for example with Crew Reassignment.
The Final Frontier lets you make anyone playing at the location free, so aboard the facility it is seeded on or aboard a ship if you can report to the ship. If Vulcan still wasn't a homeworld it would allow your [OS] Vulcans to play for free.

Also you can actually still use time locations, you just can't report to them, so you could still seed Drone Control Room and get use out of it.

Both time locations can have ships report for free. Any card matching the icon(s).
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Discovery suxs wrote:
Latok wrote:

Both time locations can have ships report for free. Any card matching the icon(s).
I know, I'm saying your point about equipment reporting for free is not a good one, ships reporting for free that is useful.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Observe Ritual is _not_ a homeworld. (That's why they made Deliver Ancient Artifact so the new [Vul] affiliation would have a homeworld.) So if Final Frontier was played there, you could report a [OS] Vulcan for free once each turn (TFF doesn't let you play non [OS] for free). The only real use this would be is... well... getting First Officer Spock[/card] or his bodyguards. He can report to Observe Ritual easily; quadrant rules only apply to facility-based reporting and the mission itself lets him.

So an easy way to include First Officer Spock in a Alpha OS deck using Final Frontier :D

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Quadrant icons only really matter when reporting a card via a facility or if the card in question specifies its presence or absence. Thus, you can report Tuvok or First Officer Spock to Observe Ritual if you desire.

(Of course, if using Final Fronter, Tuvok isn't [OS] so can't be your freebie.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
jrch5618 wrote:Quadrant icons only really matter when reporting a card via a facility or if the card in question specifies its presence or absence. Thus, you can report Tuvok or First Officer Spock to Observe Ritual if you desire.

(Of course, if using Final Fronter, Tuvok isn't [OS] so can't be your freebie.)

I know about special reporting in the game. I just have been told it only works if it is to a clearly defined location. So I guess Vulcan works that way. I have special reported a mirror ship to alpha facilty using spacedoor. I have ASP personnel all over the place. I have reporting both delta quadrant andriods to dr soong. So I could make them fight each other.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
The best rule of thumb to remember is that the matching quadrant rule applies only to facilities. Not only must the personnel or ship match the quadrant, but the facility must be in the correct quadrant. If you were to build a Federation Outpost in any quadrant but Alpha, no one could report there under normal circumstances.

If any card but a Facility is allowing the reporting, then it doesn't apply. Not only can [MQ] Vulcans report to Observe Ritual, but so can [1E-DQ] Vulcans like Tuvok and Vorik.

In addition, Bajorans can report to The Emissary regardless of their home quadrant. So not only Alpha Quadrant Bajorans, but [MQ] Bajorans and the two [1E-DQ] Bajorans we have, Tabor and Marika (and Marika will download her friends to be with her) because The Emissary is not a facility.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Interested but as you know life is a bit nuts with[…]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]