This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Dmour
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hey gang,

I Have been looking into a way to get another free play out of the Maquis and am curious about how...
"War Council" https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ardID=2445
and
"They Call Themselves the Maquis" https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ardID=4510

...interact with one another when using Federation and Bajorian Maquis.

So "War Council" States that "Your [NA] personnel do not work with aligned cards and have standard attack restrictions" BUT my "They Call Themselves the Maquis" states "Your [Maq] cards may mix and if ever attacked, have no affiliation attack restrictions."

Which card wins out? Do they cancel one another? Will War Council work in a Maquis deck with The Call Themselves the Maquis to provide another free-play engine when I am using Federation and Bajorian Maquis?

Thanks in advance!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dmour wrote:Hey gang,

I Have been looking into a way to get another free play out of the Maquis and am curious about how...
and
"They Call Themselves the Maquis" https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ardID=4510

So "War Council" States that "Your [NA] personnel do not work with aligned cards and have standard attack restrictions" BUT my "They Call Themselves the Maquis" states "Your [Maq] cards may mix and if ever attacked, have no affiliation attack restrictions."

Which card wins out? Do they cancel one another? Will War Council work in a Maquis deck with The Call Themselves the Maquis to provide another free-play engine when I am using Federation and Bajorian Maquis?

Thanks in advance!
(Non- [Maq]) [NA] can't work with (non- [NA]) [Maq]

[NA] [Maq] can work with anyone in that deck.

So if you're going to run it, you're almost building a deck with 2 incompatible subfactions with a bridge group.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I have no desire to attempt it.

By Dmour
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Dmour wrote:Hey gang,

and

Thanks in advance!
(Non- [Maq]) [NA] can't work with (non- [NA]) [Maq]

[NA] [Maq] can work with anyone in that deck.

So if you're going to run it, you're almost building a deck with 2 incompatible subfactions with a bridge group.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I have no desire to attempt it.

To be clear, my [NA] [Maq] can work with Pure Fed and Bajorian [Maq] due to "They Call Themselves the Maquis" allowing them to do so even tho "War Council" states that [NA] cannot work with aligned cards?

So in theory, if EVERY personnel in the deck has the [Maq] symbol, then they ALL get to work together with "War Council" and "They Call Themselves the Maquis" in play?

I know their are only 5 Non Aligned Maquis Civilians (1 being universal) so it would not be a huge play engine but curious about the mechanic of two cards seemingly conflicting with each other.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
What I understand is that War Council basically makes [NA] like a 'normal' affiliation in that they can't naturally mix with another group and have standard attack restriction (can't attack themselves) - TCTtM overrides this like it would letting [Fed] [Maq] and [Baj] [Maq] mix when they normally can't.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
AllenGould wrote:Cards trump rules, though. And there's a card specifically saying this guy can't move. (Even if both were cards, "can't" trumps "can")
That's from the thread about Hero of the Empire and Kirk being captured. If that's accurate and you apply it to this case War Council saying " [NA] cards do not work with aligned cards" trumps They Call Themselves the Maquis.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
The question is, when one card says things are compatible, and another says they're not (i.e. "does not work with"), which wins?

The answer is in the Glossary:
does not work with – A card that “does not work with” a particular group (affiliation, species, specific skills) cannot mix or cooperate with cards of that group in any way, in the same way that cards of incompatible affiliations cannot work together without a treaty (see compatible).

“Does not work with” restrictions that are completely affiliation-based are overcome by any card that allows incompatible cards to mix, such as Release This Pain, Brainwash, or an appropriate Treaty.
Since the "does not work with" restriction on War Council is entirely affiliation-based (unlike, say, the one on Sisters of Duras, then the compatibility granted by They Call Themselves the Maquis wins out.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
commdecker wrote:The question is, when one card says things are compatible, and another says they're not (i.e. "does not work with"), which wins?

does not work with – A card that “does not work with” a particular group (affiliation, species, specific skills) cannot mix or cooperate with cards of that group in any way, in the same way that cards of incompatible affiliations cannot work together without a treaty (see compatible).

“Does not work with” restrictions that are completely affiliation-based are overcome by any card that allows incompatible cards to mix, such as Release This Pain, Brainwash, or an appropriate Treaty.
Since the "does not work with" restriction on War Council is entirely affiliation-based (unlike, say, the one on Sisters of Duras, then the compatibility granted by They Call Themselves the Maquis wins out.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By Dmour
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
commdecker wrote:The question is, when one card says things are compatible, and another says they're not (i.e. "does not work with"), which wins?

Fantastic, thank you for the info and clarification!
Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Keywords are written in lore, not implied Exc[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]