This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Agricultural Assessment needs errata to put “23rd Century” in its lore, no? (Interestingly, it already has the “natives” link, so the database seems to think this has already happened...[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
commdecker wrote:The "natives" feature doesn't have to do with {"23rd Century" in lore}. From Preserver Obelisk, what triggers it is:
[OS] personnel who name in lore a planet you seeded.
What about Lt. Dax? She mentions Trill in lore but there's no database link for her on Symbiont Diagnosis...
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 -  
Also, Preserver Obelisk doesn't appear to specify quadrant nativity. If I seed Incapacitate Inhabitants, shouldn't I be able to download Vanderberg and Lt. Commander Giotto there?

EDIT: OK, I've found it in current rulings but MAN THAT IS REALLY WELL HIDDEN! I fully expect people to play this wrong for years!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote:
commdecker wrote:The "natives" feature doesn't have to do with {"23rd Century" in lore}. From Preserver Obelisk, what triggers it is:
[OS] personnel who name in lore a planet you seeded.
What about Lt. Dax? She mentions Trill in lore but there's no database link for her on Symbiont Diagnosis...
But her lore mentions "The Trill", referring to her species, not the planet that also happens to be named Trill.

Which is something that can only be ascertained from context clues in the lore, making this a little messier, but I guess that's price you pay when you start adding gameplay mechanics that use two decade old lore entries.
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 -  
That's a really tough call to make as a TD if someone's built a deck based on something which is named in the lore but needs interpreting if it means species vs planet. So easy for players to get these things wrong. Let's make it simple: if the word is there, it qualifies. Same with mirror nativity. I can see the logic but really tough for a TD to rule against someone who's built a deck honestly to get screwed by grammar. That's a NPE right there!

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Let's make it simple: if the word is there, it qualifies.
No. Some of these cards have achieved the desired level of gameplay balance using the principle that context matters.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Context matters. We did not want the new Captain Kirk to be downloadable with Preserver Obelisk if you seeded Vulcan (his lore states "a Vulcan" which is definitely not the planet).

Also, the design team on did not ask for errata for the existing missions that were based on 23rd century stories, though when Secure Strategic Base was being made we did ask for the "23rd Century" lore reference to be added.

- James M

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
KazonPADD wrote:Let's make it simple: if the word is there, it qualifies.
That logic could lead to some really silly situations. For example, Virak'kara and Davies mention Trill in their lore. In context they clearly are not Trills, but if we ignored context would they be Trill species?

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Orbin wrote:Context matters. We did not want the new Captain Kirk to be downloadable with Preserver Obelisk if you seeded Vulcan (his lore states "a Vulcan" which is definitely not the planet).

Also, the design team on did not ask for errata for the existing missions that were based on 23rd century stories, though when Secure Strategic Base was being made we did ask for the "23rd Century" lore reference to be added.

- James M
I just want some errata to Kurdon to make it clear that the matching commander is not a broken link to First Officer Kazago, because the fact that that lowercase ‘o’ in ‘officer’ there is gameplay relevant hurts my brain.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote: I just want some errata to Kurdon to make it clear that the matching commander is not a broken link to First Officer Kazago, because the fact that that lowercase ‘o’ in ‘officer’ there is gameplay relevant hurts my brain.
Simplest to just remove "First officer".

(OK, super simplest would have been for Decipher to not put job titles in card titles, but that boat has sailed...)

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
bhosp wrote: I just want some errata to Kurdon to make it clear that the matching commander is not a broken link to First Officer Kazago, because the fact that that lowercase ‘o’ in ‘officer’ there is gameplay relevant hurts my brain.
Simplest to just remove "First officer".

(OK, super simplest would have been for Decipher to not put job titles in card titles, but that boat has sailed...)
Yes, obviously. But no one ever cares when I ask for it :(

(My joke solution is just to put a comma after first officer)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Orbin wrote:Context matters. We did not want the new Captain Kirk to be downloadable with Preserver Obelisk if you seeded Vulcan (his lore states "a Vulcan" which is definitely not the planet).

IIRC, we actually liked the fact that Sherman's Planet specifically did not get the 23rd-century tag. That made it a bit more of a choice whether to use Ag Assessment vs. The Final Frontier (or, at many stages of development, both together). You want to maximize your 23rd-century missions for those sweet sweet bonuses, but using Sherman's Peak means that you're not only losing one, but you're ensuring that you can't use Risk Is Our Business at your primary reporting location.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]