This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
The simple answer is because nobody caught it. We'll have to add a step where images are checked for duplication so we can avoid this type of mistake in the future.

-crp

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
But will these 2 examples be rectified? There must be an abundance of nice shots (and drones -- a female one perhaps!) to be found, even if cumbersome work. :) (I mean, I do appreciate the work that goes into it, it's just that cards are naturally nicer of they have different graphics.)

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
For the 2E side, I do recall this problem coming up during the Decipher era. Apparently they did keep track of what images were used, down to the specific frame. Sadly they were hoisted by their own petard in that regard, as Annexation Drone and Preservation Drone are about two frames apart from each other. If you start looking closely you can notice a few differences, but it's too close for a casual inspection.

Given that HQ: Executive Orders and Urgent Warning are both virtual cards, I'd be in favor of the CC changing one of them (probably Urgent Warning). As for Annexation Drone and Preservation Drone, both are Decipher cards, so I don't think it is realistic to change the image on one. Perhaps a better solution would be to release an AI for Annexation Drone?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
GooeyChewie wrote:Perhaps a better solution would be to release an AI for Annexation Drone?
+1

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote:For the 2E side, I do recall this problem coming up during the Decipher era. Apparently they did keep track of what images were used, down to the specific frame. Sadly they were hoisted by their own petard in that regard, as Annexation Drone and Preservation Drone are about two frames apart from each other. If you start looking closely you can notice a few differences, but it's too close for a casual inspection.

Given that HQ: Executive Orders and Urgent Warning are both virtual cards, I'd be in favor of the CC changing one of them (probably Urgent Warning).
:thumbsup:
As for Annexation Drone and Preservation Drone, both are Decipher cards, so I don't think it is realistic to change the image on one.
That makes so much sense. :wink: Should've seen that.
Perhaps a better solution would be to release an AI for Annexation Drone?
Even though I'm a 1e player and Traditional at that, y'all know that I care about (and often have an opinion on) the modern state of the game in full -- so, including 2e. That footnote out of the way
... +1.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Being perfectly honest, I don't see us fixing this. They're different card types and have very different uses, and thus likely won't overlap much. Now maybe that changes, or the Art team decides they want to spend their time on a fix, but I'm not going to ask them to.

I'd rather make sure we greatly reduce the chance of making this kind of mistake again the future. To me, that's a better use of our time.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:They're different card types and have very different uses, and thus likely won't overlap much.
Personally, I don't think this one is nearly as confusing as The Intendant and The Intendent (Crossover), who are actually different versions of the same persona despite nearly identical images, card appearances, and even to some extent lore. (That was due to 2EBC conversion rules.)

And people have figured out how to play through that one, so I think this will also be okay.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
They are subtly different - one has Kirk’s Shoulder in the foreground. We did ask Art to make it different and I assume that was the best they could achieve.

Metaphasic Shields / Host Metaphasic Shield Test are also re-uses.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:They're different card types and have very different uses, and thus likely won't overlap much.
Personally, I don't think this one is nearly as confusing as The Intendant and The Intendent (Crossover), who are actually different versions of the same persona despite nearly identical images, card appearances, and even to some extent lore. (That was due to 2EBC conversion rules.)

And people have figured out how to play through that one, so I think this will also be okay.

I'm sorry but you are wrong there. Crossover has kira laying down looking very evil and sexy in the picture. Where mirror mirror kira is holding her head with a smile.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:If star trek has only a few reused pictures. I say that is a A+ all the way. MTG has reused everything so many times.
what? not a single art is duplicated
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
KazonPADD wrote:They are subtly different - one has Kirk’s Shoulder in the foreground. We did ask Art to make it different and I assume that was the best they could achieve.

Metaphasic Shields / Host Metaphasic Shield Test are also re-uses.
Technically they both have Kirk's shoulder, Urgent Warning also has a chunk of his head.

I think they're different enough, especially after considering they're different card types.
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]