This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
HoodieDM wrote:Yeah, original DQ treaties let Kazon/Vidiian play with anyone.
And they were horribly broken. Let's not skip that minor detail. :)

As for Ferengi, I think the first question that needs answering is "why do you want it?" Because given how the Ferengi were built to have fairly different base skills from everyone else (and a bunch of rules-setting cards), I suspect we need a better answer than "shenanigans" ;)
The why is simple actually to me. I think gameplay should be more important than flavor. So I think there should be a treaty for every combination in the game. On a personal level Fengri are the most entertaining in star trek. There like the mirror universe in the regular universe.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
HoodieDM wrote:Yeah, original DQ treaties let Kazon/Vidiian play with anyone.
And they were horribly broken. Let's not skip that minor detail. :)

As for Ferengi, I think the first question that needs answering is "why do you want it?" Because given how the Ferengi were built to have fairly different base skills from everyone else (and a bunch of rules-setting cards), I suspect we need a better answer than "shenanigans" ;)
The why is simple actually to me. I think gameplay should be more important than flavor.
I would agree. But the original design for Ferengi was based on the presumption that you couldn't mix them into your Standard Federation Solver (for instance), and thus could get more unique abilities. So, when people want to break the assumption, there's usually shenanigans involved.

As an example: Feds getting to shoot things. They already get high skill density, good ships, missions that name-drop their personnel, and special abilities up the wazoo (that include straight-up dilemma avoidance). Not shooting things is supposed to be their tradeoff (similar to Borg's "we are slow and plodding" and Bajorans "we get crappy ships and no intelligence skill and everyone uses DS9 better than we can"), but we have a bad habit of finding excuses/reasons to let Feds cheat their weakness. This is bad ju-ju. ;)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Everyone so far has done a good job describing how the Ferengi have no treaties, so you probably shouldn't play a mixed Ferengi and Cardassian deck. And I'll agree, you probably shouldn't.

However, you could play them together using multiple copies of Planet of Galactic Peace on the missions you wanted to use. I would probably suggest starting at Terok Nor, using I Miss This Office to free report Cardassians and Quark's Bar to free report some ds9 Frrengi. Due to Not reporting rules, both groups can hang out at their own sites until you get your first PoGP in play, on your Nor mission, which will finally allow them to combine. Then you can play PoGP on each mission you want to go to with your combined crew, or probably it would be easier to keep the crews in two separate ships, and only combine them when you get to the missions you want to attempt (and have played PoGP on).

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote:Everyone so far has done a good job describing how the Ferengi have no treaties, so you probably shouldn't play a mixed Ferengi and Cardassian deck. And I'll agree, you probably shouldn't.

However, you could play them together using multiple copies of Planet of Galactic Peace on the missions you wanted to use. I would probably suggest starting at Terok Nor, using I Miss This Office to free report Cardassians and Quark's Bar to free report some ds9 Frrengi. Due to Not reporting rules, both groups can hang out at their own sites until you get your first PoGP in play, on your Nor mission, which will finally allow them to combine. Then you can play PoGP on each mission you want to go to with your combined crew, or probably it would be easier to keep the crews in two separate ships, and only combine them when you get to the missions you want to attempt (and have played PoGP on).
Thats actually brilliant and I totally missed that card

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The other option, which would have worked until yesterday in OTF, would have been to use a Ferengi Trading Post for reporting and Memory Wipe your own ship so you can leave the outpost, though at that point all your personnel on ship become [NA] , which likely defeats the purpose of running both Ferengi and Cardassians (though maybe not, since both have plenty of cards that key on their species and not just their affiliation.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Mogor wrote:
Not_always_but_often wrote:Everyone so far has done a good job describing how the Ferengi have no treaties, so you probably shouldn't play a mixed Ferengi and Cardassian deck. And I'll agree, you probably shouldn't.

Thats actually brilliant and I totally missed that card

Bad thing you will be shipping each crew separate to each location. Way to much bookkeeping for me.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote:The other option, which would have worked until yesterday in OTF, would have been to use a Ferengi Trading Post for reporting and Memory Wipe your own ship so you can leave the outpost, though at that point all your personnel on ship become [NA] , which likely defeats the purpose of running both Ferengi and Cardassians (though maybe not, since both have plenty of cards that key on their species and not just their affiliation.
Don't understand your problem with the errata. It is the same except it has non alinged icon instead of non alinged word. I may actually try your idea. I love deck ideas that are different from the deck ideas.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote:I don't have any issue with the old errata. On the other hand, there's an article on the front page of the site detailing why Memory Wipe just got OTF banned again, which is why the combo doesn't work anymore.
They need to update everything. Since it is still otf legal on the page. It is not on the banned list.

I just literally printed 18 of them to test your Theory

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery rox wrote:ya if they banned it then it should be listed as banned.

hope you didnt waste too much ink printing it.

I was already printing 1000 cards. It is only 59 cents for color at office depot self service printers.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  

You're right about that. I noticed the same thing and asked for it to be fixed. It should be correct now.

If you come across something like that again, post about it in the card database thread or send me a PM.

I've been bitten by this before, playing with banned cards because the database wasn't updated. Hopefully we avoided that this time.

I'm going to need to look into our procedures to see how we currently do errata and bans, as it seems to be a recurring problem.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:

You're right about that. I noticed the same thing and asked for it to be fixed. It should be correct now.

If you come across something like that again, post about it in the card database thread or send me a PM.

I've been bitten by this before, playing with banned cards because the database wasn't updated. Hopefully we avoided that this time.

I'm going to need to look into our procedures to see how we currently do errata and bans, as it seems to be a recurring problem.
Ok cool thanks

Please do my poll

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]