This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Hi, Everyone,

I have been reading from various posts on the forums about games lasting 4-5 turns. I know this has been an issue discussed in the past how to add more turns to the game, but I am constantly amazed to read how fast games are now. Unfortunately, I have a job that keeps me from attending many of the 1E tournaments in the area I live so it is hard for me to see what the game environment is actually like. I do play more friendly "Kitchen Table" type games with a couple of friends and our games last between 9-10 turns. At minimum I normally don't start attempting missions until turn 3, taking turns 1-2 to build up a ship and crew. I have read on the forums that most decks are not competitive if they don't get three people into play each turn. Then you have the possibility by being stopped by dilemma combos for a turn or two.
Additionally, increasing the free plays has been an issue with 1E for a long time since the Voyager-Era Decipher created and it is a reality of the current environment. Can you please help me to understand how the game has gotten to the point that 4 turns is the max? It is hard for me to grasp.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
It depends on if you are playing for fun or playing to win fast as possible. My games usually last 10 turns. If it is 2 old school tng decks it may last 15 turns.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Games ending in 4 or 5 turns is an aberration, at least from my experience at high-level events. The rate at which personnel are played is certainly much faster than in the old days, but the games themselves should still run from 6 to 10 turns on average. Even solver vs. solver simply because dilemma combos at high-level events are usually just as strong as the players using them.

There have been other threads here that have alluded to a play 3+ / draw 4+ standard for high-level events, and that is fairly on par with what I build and have seen.

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
LORE wrote:Games ending in 4 or 5 turns is an aberration, at least from my experience at high-level events. The rate at which personnel are played is certainly much faster than in the old days, but the games themselves should still run from 6 to 10 turns on average. Even solver vs. solver simply because dilemma combos at high-level events are usually just as strong as the players using them.

There have been other threads here that have alluded to a play 3+ / draw 4+ standard for high-level events, and that is fairly on par with what I build and have seen.
Play 3, draw 3+ is usually what i expect to need to keep up with by opponents. Wins on turn 4 or 5 happen occasionally, but are certainly not the norm. 6-8 is entirely realistic, but sometimes the time limit has already been reached then.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Kaiser wrote:
LORE wrote:Games ending in 4 or 5 turns is an aberration, at least from my experience at high-level events. The rate at which personnel are played is certainly much faster than in the old days, but the games themselves should still run from 6 to 10 turns on average. Even solver vs. solver simply because dilemma combos at high-level events are usually just as strong as the players using them.

Play 3, draw 3+ is usually what i expect to need to keep up with by opponents. Wins on turn 4 or 5 happen occasionally, but are certainly not the norm. 6-8 is entirely realistic, but sometimes the time limit has already been reached then.
Do you count your card play as one of the three or is 3 2 free plays + download?
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Kaiser wrote:3 = regular card play + 2 free plays. Downloads not included.
This.
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]