This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Orbin wrote:
Not_always_but_often wrote:And I really don't get its use onTemporal Benefactor, but maybe I should be looking forward to the day I can use Dukat of Borg as my benefactor.
Try this the other way around. Benfactor=Tomalak (Homefront III) in a [Bor] deck that uses Tomalak of Borg :)

Tomalak of Borg is [1E-AU] and mentions Tomalak in lore but is not a persona of Tomalak so you get his skills. This works for the other [1E-AU] [Bor] counterparts as well.

- James M
Oh that makes sense now - somehow I missed that the benefactor didn't need to be [1E-AU] .
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Not_always_but_often wrote:I don't really understand the rationale for using outside the game on Bluegill Infestation or Holographic Camouflage though. Would it be to keep you from having a really short stacked draw deck to start the game or something? And I really don't get its use onTemporal Benefactor, but maybe I should be looking forward to the day I can use Dukat of Borg as my benefactor.
There was discussion on HoloCamo about both the short deck and the possibility of Borg using it (presumably with Salvage Starship), but, ultimately, it was just following the precedent of Bluegill Infestation. To this day, I don't know why Bluegill Infestation did it.

On Temporal Benefactor, I think it was honestly an accident. The first sentence started as "Download a unique [Cmd] personnel under here ('the Benefactor'); in play for uniqueness only." At some point -- I think to save space -- it became "Place a unique personnel beneath; 'Benefactor' in play for uniqueness only." And then, according to the records, it stayed that way for the rest of production. Only at the last minute -- after the card had locked -- did "from outside the game" get added.

This is presumably because someone in Rules or Proofing noticed that "place a unique personnel beneath" has no clear meaning, and the very hasty correction that was made missed the fact that Benefactors had previously been downloaded rather than outside-the-gamed.

But I honestly don't remember. Presumably, I was at the meeting where it happened, but the final days of Cold Front design were hard and tense and there was a LOT going on in some of those meetings.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
prylardurden wrote: On topic, if Sherman's Peak were to get Errata, can we also change the "download deep space station k-7" to "download deep space station K-7 from outside the game"?
Why? There's no reason it can't be in the deck.
I assume he wants to do some weird borg nonsense
Yeah, I want to disrupt as many timelines as possible in one deck.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Some people just want to watch the space-time continuum burn...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
the fact that temporal benefactors "outside of game" text allows borg and non-borg to aid or manipulate one another in influencing the timeline for mysterious reason is a really cool aspect of the card. even if its accidentel, its a happy accident. i dont see what the problem with that is.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]