This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:
Spectre9 wrote:Nor sites overall are bad because you can only ever really pick 4.

You have to have ops and somewhere to dock a ship.

This card doesn't seem too horrible compared to most. But I mean why throw a card away when you can just report them and use the skill if that's the skill you need haha
You don't always need ops

I just made a cooks and hq deck with ds9 in it.

Klingon and federation cover a good amount of cooks. The enterprise cook is universal too.

So I used docking pylons, Klingon restaurant, cargo bay, quark\'s bar, docking ports, and guest quarters. Ops is pointless for my deck. I can't attempt the ds9 mission but Klingon and federation was best thing for cooks. I threw in hqs to round out the deck.
(I added the links for my own benefit, in this case.)

So, you don't need or want to download additions to your kitchen staff? 8) because that's what Ops is for, mainly -- for the other sites like Science Lab. (And reporting Officers by itself.) But although not many people would, you could do without it, yes. You get a number of downloads already with this setup -- just not ALL personnel.
My 100% Klingon and federation. Ops is for matching only. Trust the prophets is for ds9 federation only. You can download cooks with Klingon restaurant. I will have plenty of vips for guest quarters off my hqs. Cargo bay and quarks bar are mainly for card draw. Docking is for docking of course.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sounds sound. I only play one Nor -- in a Cardie deck, so no problem with Matching. (However, I still can't DL report a [NA] personnel... unless a [NA] Comp Skill first commandeers the station! Note to self: must not forget that! But the DL function will work with compatible personnel, or even any personnel -- Ops says that [only] the reporting function needs to be doone with Matching personnel.)
But when a Computer Skill commandeers the station, the affiliation changes to Match that personnel's affiliation (with the Nor even gaining the appropriate affiliation icon)! So that would solve things, had you needed that. But you don't. 8)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:Sounds sound. I only play one Nor -- in a Cardie deck, so no problem with Matching. (However, I still can't DL report a [NA] personnel... unless a [NA] Comp Skill first commandeers the station! Note to self: must not forget that! But the DL function will work with compatible personnel, or even any personnel -- Ops says that [only] the reporting function needs to be doone with Matching personnel.)
But when a Computer Skill commandeers the station, the affiliation changes to Match that personnel's affiliation (with the Nor even gaining the appropriate affiliation icon)! So that would solve things, had you needed that. But you don't. 8)
You can download NA with cargo Bay but only perfer ones. You get morn out and walk him over to quarks bar to draw a extra card each turn.

You can't commandeered your own cards it's a rule in the game. Empok nor says it is uncontrolled so that is different from other nors. So unless your opponent takes over your nor and you take it back. You are stuck with the starting afflication of the nor.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
You can't report [NA] to a [Car] Nor?

Sites say compatible, so you generally can. Ops download says matching, so you generally can't.

Unless you have something like War Council though, [NA] is compatible with [Car]

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:You can't report [NA] to a [Car] Nor?

Sites say compatible, so you generally can. Ops download says matching, so you generally can't.

Unless you have something like War Council though, [NA] is compatible with [Car]

Na, neutral, and treaty like personnel are compatible with any nor.

I was basically saying you can't drop ds9 then change the afflication to na on your first turn. Since you can't take over your own cards. If you could the game would be alot easier.

Just imagine the possibilities of blowing up your own ship, killing your own personnel, etc. If you could do that then it would probably break the game. You can do it in magic but that is a different type of game.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:

I was basically saying you can't drop ds9 then change the afflication to na on your first turn. Since you can't take over your own cards. If you could the game would be alot easier.

Just imagine the possibilities of blowing up your own ship, killing your own personnel, etc. If you could do that then it would probably break the game. You can do it in magic but that is a different type of game.
If you really need a [NA] Nor, try Empok Nor - it's ready-made for exactly that.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:

If you really need a [NA] Nor, try Empok Nor - it's ready-made for exactly that.
I printed 4 of them then threw away. I hate what happens when it is flipped honestly. I rather it been a regular nor instead of adding the equipment crap to it. I hate colonies, Tribbles, empok nor, terramforming station, and a few others too.

Why? The game is about them only. They take center stage over the game. It is not fun to play the game that way.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:I hate colonies, Tribbles, empok nor, terramforming station, and a few others too.

Why? The game is about them only. They take center stage over the game. It is not fun to play the game that way.
Huh! For me, this is actually one of the things why I enjoy 1e -- those mechanics that really create a whole new game. But the greatest thing may be that you have so many choices... even after throwing away your Empok Nors, you have more than enough cards left for games with infinite possibilities. :wink:

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:
I printed 4 of them then threw away. I hate what happens when it is flipped honestly. I rather it been a regular nor instead of adding the equipment crap to it. I hate colonies, Tribbles, empok nor, terramforming station, and a few others too.

Don't really see the problem here when it comes to Empok Nor. It says 'you may...' therefore you do not have to download equipment. Just ignore that part of the text and continue on. Not to big on tribbles myself. As for Colonies they have been nerfed so badly it hardly matters and Terraforming Station is kind of minimal too unless you play the game with the same people frequently.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:I was basically saying you can't drop ds9 then change the afflication to na on your first turn. Since you can't take over your own cards. If you could the game would be alot easier.
To clarify, you can't commandeer/capture/assimilate etc. cards which you control. You can do those things to cards you own, but your opponent controls.
Discovery suxs wrote:Just imagine the possibilities of blowing up your own ship, killing your own personnel, etc. If you could do that then it would probably break the game. You can do it in magic but that is a different type of game.
I think if you're trying to draw this type of parallel to Magic, the more apt comparison would be to not being allowed to attack yourself with your creatures. That said, like with Magic, it depends entirely on what the card says. If you want to blow up your own ship, consequently killing your personnel aboard, Auto-Destruct Sequence is the card you're looking for. Want to kill your personnel individually, try The Art of Diplomacy or Mercy Kill.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
9of24 wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:I was basically saying you can't drop ds9 then change the afflication to na on your first turn. Since you can't take over your own cards. If you could the game would be alot easier.
To clarify, you can't commandeer/capture/assimilate etc. cards which you control. You can do those things to cards you own, but your opponent controls.
Discovery suxs wrote:Just imagine the possibilities of blowing up your own ship, killing your own personnel, etc. If you could do that then it would probably break the game. You can do it in magic but that is a different type of game.
I think if you're trying to draw this type of parallel to Magic, the more apt comparison would be to not being allowed to attack yourself with your creatures. That said, like with Magic, it depends entirely on what the card says. If you want to blow up your own ship, consequently killing your personnel aboard, Auto-Destruct Sequence is the card you're looking for. Want to kill your personnel individually, try The Art of Diplomacy or Mercy Kill.

I don't want to get into a magic vs star trek debate.

The cards you said are not defiantly going to go off.

Basically star trek 1e feels more like a adult game except battle system.

Magic is all about battles so far superior but the game itself does not take alot of knowledge to play it. You can make a strong tribal deck pretty easy and you are done. Star trek has alot of elements when making a deck.

Magic does give you full control over your cards. You can basically do anything you want to do with your cards. Star trek as I said is more of a adult game so there are limits to it. It is why I don't like 2e honestly. 2e is basically magic with star trek elements in it. The only thing I hate about 1e is putting flavor above gameplay in the game. There is so many ways this true. There are ways the game is broken but it makes sense flavorwise they keep it that way.

Still to this date I have spent over 900 in little over a year on star trek 1e. Of in my entire life I spent over 5k on magic the gathering. Honestly before cc star trek 1e was not a game for me. I rather play 10 mtg games instead of 1 decipher era star trek game. Red alert was probably the most broken card ever in star trek.

Just my thoughts on your post.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote: I don't want to get into a magic vs star trek debate.
I've played a *lot* of CCGs over the years, and the biggest danger is trying to compare one game by the style of another. That's like arguing that baseball isn't that great a game because it doesn't have a three-point line. :shifty:

Magic is a battle game, so one would hope that it has a more robust battle system than 1E, because 1E *isn't* a battle game. It's a race game with some battle in it. :)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
I've played a *lot* of CCGs over the years, and the biggest danger is trying to compare one game by the style of another. That's like arguing that baseball isn't that great a game because it doesn't have a three-point line. :shifty:

Magic is a battle game, so one would hope that it has a more robust battle system than 1E, because 1E *isn't* a battle game. It's a race game with some battle in it. :)
I get what you were trying to say by the baseball reference. 3 point line does not work really for baseball. A better quote would be you can't tackle in baseball. Since that would make more sense in terms of baseball. If that makes any sense.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:
AllenGould wrote:

(snip)
I get what you were trying to say by the baseball reference. 3 point line does not work really for baseball. A better quote would be you can't tackle in baseball. Since that would make more sense in terms of baseball. If that makes any sense.
That's kind of my point, actually - to reverse the argument, no-one complains about Magic not having a spaceline, because that's not what Magic is about. Chess is a really bad property management game, as well. ;)

(And Baseball could easily have a three point line. Just make over-the-fence homers worth three points. But that wouldn't make baseball a better game. Nothing can make baseball - the game where everyone is always trying to miss - a good game. :twocents: )

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
At least baseball is better than pro football. Where only 12mins of action and rest is looking at people's butts.

Besides all sports fall under my 5min rule. If you start watching any sports game at the 5mins left in game or 8th inning in baseball. You will see something good or it's a blow out so you turn the channel. You don't have to waste your life.

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]