This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I know there has been some discussion in the world championship thread but I wanted to get some clear answers here.

How does it work?

Are you allowed to play as many as you want? Like at the same time or is there like resolution then play another.

Can it target different people. Like once somebody has the effect do they not become a valid target therefore you only need to play as many as people that are beaming to stop them all beaming?

I'm trying to understand how the chain works.

Like does it target one them the beaming group becomes smaller then targets again?

When somebody's announcing that they're beaming do they have to announce how many there are?

This is all very weird to me and I don't really get it.

Any help would be appreciated.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Here's how the timing breaks down, as I understand it:
[*] Initiation: I declare I am beaming this group of people. (We'll call them Allen, BCS, and Charlie)
[*] Responses: You play Barclay's Transporter Phobia, because it's a valid response to beaming. (This is also initiation of playing BTP, so we go down a level)
[*] [*] We're now in Responses to BTP - where I would Amanda it or what-not. I don't have anything, so...
[*] [*] We move to Results for BTP (note: NOT for the beaming; that's still at responses). We randomly pick someone - say, Charlie - and this modifies the original action to remove Charlie from the group beaming. (And we put BTP on Charlie to mark that he does not beam.)
[*] That finishes BTP, so we move back to responses to beaming. I get the next action here, and I don't have anything, so you get another chance (because you don't move on until both people pass). So you can play another BTP, since it's still a valid response to beaming.
[*] [*] Wash-rinse-repeat the above
[*] Eventually, you're either out of BTPs to play or I'm out of people beaming, so then you pass, I pass, and
[*] We move to Results for beaming, where anyone left over finally moves to their destination.

So, to answer the questions:
- as each BTP resolves, that removes someone from the group beaming, so they're no longer a target.
- you choose who is beaming, but unless something else tells you to reveal I don't *think* you have to tell me who is in the group. (Note: I personally hate this rule.) You could beam each personnel one-at-a-time (as separate actions) if you wanted.
- you can have multiple responses to a single action; until both players pass, basically. We just skip over that a whole lot because the valid responses requirement means we don't have the giant Magic-style chains. (Old players will remember the Kevin-Q2-Amanda wars, though.). Just remember that a response is an action in itself, so you'll resolve the first one before checking if anyone has a second.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Nice response, Allen - thanks! :thumbsup:

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for taking the time Allen.

Very helpful :thumbsup:

So you can try to bait by beaming mystery groups of face down people haha

That's exactly the kind of thing that is very useful to know when faced with such a strategy being used against you.

If anybody has any input on the best universal ways to beat BTP it would be appreciated.

I'm interested if you need a full Vulcan for Vulcan Lander or can Spock pilot it.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:

That's exactly the kind of thing that is very useful to know when faced with such a strategy being used against you.

If anybody has any input on the best universal ways to beat BTP it would be appreciated.
I'm interested if you need a full Vulcan for Vulcan Lander or can Spock pilot it.
Spock can do it (in 1E).

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:- you choose who is beaming, but unless something else tells you to reveal I don't *think* you have to tell me who is in the group. (Note: I personally hate this rule.) You could beam each personnel one-at-a-time (as separate actions) if you wanted.
Just wanted to confirm this is correct. Because Barclay Transporter Phobia targets randomly, the personnel in the beam action would not need to be revealed. If it allowed you to choose the target the names of the personnel would need to be revealed.

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Spectre9 wrote:Thanks for taking the time Allen.

Hidden Fighter to fetch a ship and Establish Landing Protocols is easy tech that almost any deck can run. Also, there are interceptors and other ships that can land naturally.

Also, mystery beaming is indeed one way to bait.

Other tech would be doing only space missions for 140 points, docking and walking from ship to ship at your outposts to get around beaming restrictions (which was no option in the final, because I would have ended on 138 points).

There are enough ways to deal with it, i find it nicely balanced, but if you have never seen it, it can probably be a bit frustrating.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Iron Prime wrote:
Spectre9 wrote:

Spock can do it (in 1E).
Although he'd need an [NA] with him to match the ship's affiliation.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
According to the Glossary entry for target, randomly selecting the personnel is part of the initiation, so you get to see who is selected before you get your window to nullify it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:Here's how the timing breaks down, as I understand it:
[*] Initiation: I declare I am beaming this group of people. (We'll call them Allen, BCS, and Charlie)
[*] Responses: You play Barclay's Transporter Phobia, because it's a valid response to beaming. (This is also initiation of playing BTP, so we go down a level)
[*] [*] We're now in Responses to BTP - where I would Amanda it or what-not. I don't have anything, so...
[*] [*] We move to Results for BTP (note: NOT for the beaming; that's still at responses). We randomly pick someone - say, Charlie - and this modifies the original action to remove Charlie from the group beaming. (And we put BTP on Charlie to mark that he does not beam.)
[*] That finishes BTP, so we move back to responses to beaming. I get the next action here, and I don't have anything, so you get another chance (because you don't move on until both people pass). So you can play another BTP, since it's still a valid response to beaming.
[*] [*] Wash-rinse-repeat the above
[*] Eventually, you're either out of BTPs to play or I'm out of people beaming, so then you pass, I pass, and
[*] We move to Results for beaming, where anyone left over finally moves to their destination.

So, to answer the questions:
- as each BTP resolves, that removes someone from the group beaming, so they're no longer a target.
- you choose who is beaming, but unless something else tells you to reveal I don't *think* you have to tell me who is in the group. (Note: I personally hate this rule.) You could beam each personnel one-at-a-time (as separate actions) if you wanted.
- you can have multiple responses to a single action; until both players pass, basically. We just skip over that a whole lot because the valid responses requirement means we don't have the giant Magic-style chains. (Old players will remember the Kevin-Q2-Amanda wars, though.). Just remember that a response is an action in itself, so you'll resolve the first one before checking if anyone has a second.
So basically it is like magic. You have to counter every instance of btp.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote: So basically it is like magic. You have to counter every instance of btp.
Similar - both games use a stack. (Most games do, because it's a simple and generally intuitive way to do things.)
Chief Financial Officer
 - Chief Financial Officer
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
Like johannes said lots of counters to btp one also included with landed ships is headquarters walk out side and attempt mission

Can use genesis effect to guarantee pass dead end

Lots of tech available, thing is to the dilemmas u see in a btp lockout are fairly similar and prone to say McCoy

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
One big counter I've not seen listed is carefull play and watch opponents hand size since they wil tend to build up a large hand of BTP as your not beaming. Once it's passes 13 you scorch the hand they have at most 6 BTP Left so bean your large crew to missions to attempt. They can't stop them all. :).
BTP is a strong deck when unprepared players face it it's very meta dependent though as many decks can just have counters like landing ships and some decks can just out personal them etc. I've used them before and yes when you catch people off guard it's great but when people are ready for it your going to have a bad day. He made a great call expecting no one prepared for BTP and it payed off. That's a great player making a good meta read.

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]