This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Excuse another, perhaps even more wild, possibility that might slow the game down a little without breaking anything, plus make more Trek sense:

From lots of experience, and looking at typical decks, the number of ships included is quite small.

Probable mode of play is put all your Personnel on 1 ship then move it around the space-lane and when you get to a Mission, beam them ALL down (or perhaps leave 1 or 2 behind) - safety in numbers right? Unless you're red-shirting, that's normally how it goes. No 'choosing your Away Team', just mass beaming.

I also see that 'traditional' Equipment cards are rarely in decks - even though characters in Star Trek always carry Tricorders, Phasers etc. The reason of course is obvious - why waste a card slot with an Equipment giving you MEDICAL when you can just put another MEDICAL personnel in your deck?

To address both of these issues, why not make each ship capable of only Beaming 6 Personnel at a time? (You may wish to add +1 per Transporter Skill remaining on the ship...?)

Equipment, of course, has no limits and personnel can carry that down with them (Might see more use of Equipment Replicator too).

Once you beam your 6 Personnel down you must start a Mission attempt and another 6 cannot be beamed until the first team is stopped.

Would that work? Or am I totally screwing the game up? :wink:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I feel like all this could of been less text honestly. We didn't need the setup text on how to play the game. I can tell you are left brained my your post.

We don't want a way to stall the game. We want a way to make the game balanced and more turns. Alot of ways to stall the game. The outcome is usually the same so why stall the game those ways. Mission debriefing for example has messed me up more than my opponent. I played the game too.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:I feel like all this could of been less text honestly. We didn't need the setup text on how to play the game. I can tell you are left brained my your post.

We don't want a way to stall the game. We want a way to make the game balanced and more turns. Alot of ways to stall the game. The outcome is usually the same so why stall the game those ways. Mission debriefing for example has messed me up more than my opponent. I played the game too.
It was a genuine opinion and question. I don't see the need to be rude...

Thank you for your opinion.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
There are a number of ways to punish macro and micro teaming. A new rule would be detrimental & increase the already steep learning curve for theoretical new and returning players.

Try a few different ways.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
well one thing i've noticed is a LOT of thought goes into stacking your crews and away teams "just so". People prep to make sure they can pass lack of prep but not get killed by God, and when a dilemma stops them on their next try they'll commit only exactly what they need to pass it next time so they can see the next dilemma before committing a "solving" crew, etc etc.

i think each game features about 10-15 of time just positioning people on ships, counting attributes, checking skills, all just to set up moving around and attempting missions.

I'm not sure what if anything you can do about that. But I'd be afraid if we started restricting beaming that people would spend even more time setting up before they try to do anything...
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The game doesn't need a beaming limit. OTF needs a card limit.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
StateofSTCCG wrote:The game doesn't need a beaming limit. OTF needs a card limit.
I'm curious: other than things like Barclay's Transporter Phobia spam, or big, Lackey-style decks that use lots of copies of a key card, what do you feel a card copy limit would this fix?

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:well one thing i've noticed is a LOT of thought goes into stacking your crews and away teams "just so". People prep to make sure they can pass lack of prep but not get killed by God, and when a dilemma stops them on their next try they'll commit only exactly what they need to pass it next time so they can see the next dilemma before committing a "solving" crew, etc etc.

i think each game features about 10-15 of time just positioning people on ships, counting attributes, checking skills, all just to set up moving around and attempting missions.

I'm not sure what if anything you can do about that. But I'd be afraid if we started restricting beaming that people would spend even more time setting up before they try to do anything...
This.

I don't want to discourage Cymru, who has done a nice thing by identifying a difficulty, analyzing it, coming up with a solution, and proposing that solution. That's great! I hope you're with us for a good long time doing the same thing, Cymru.

But the analysis is a bit off, because, yeah, like Takket said, megateaming isn't a big problem right now. People are too scared of Denevan Neural Parasites and The Higher... The Fewer to beam down giant teams, except out of desperation. What is problem right now is the analysis paralysis Takket talks about, where players spend a ton of time deciding exactly who should go where to do what within the various limitations they have. Adding a stark limitation like this would make that problem worse.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
MidnightLich wrote:
StateofSTCCG wrote:The game doesn't need a beaming limit. OTF needs a card limit.
I'm curious: other than things like Barclay's Transporter Phobia spam, or big, Lackey-style decks that use lots of copies of a key card, what do you feel a card copy limit would this fix?

-crp
Charlie, and those in charge of OTF rules...

Frankly, I'm surprised OTF hasn't even ever instituted a copy limit nor something to the effect that 'events and interrupts once played, if not countered, are removed from the game.' ???

I could see a hard '6 copy maximum' limit be healthy for the game and some reasonable attempt to curb the spamming of any given card/strategy to mitigate the npe's a further benefit to overall gameplay. This is in reference to the format being OTF and not Open, of course.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
StateofSTCCG wrote:OTF needs a card limit.
No, do not do that

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for your answers everyone -I'm not up on current meta or a complete card pool, so it's nice to hear why things like beaming limit have difficulties.

(when I play solo I always restrict myself like this as it gives a more Trek feel to the game)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Knowing Disco for some time now, I think he prolly did not mean to be rude. He just sounds rude sometimes (keep working on that! :cross: ), but in other instances I think we can see he actually means well. :P He prolly thinks I am "left brained", too (do you, Disco?) -- which might also be why I like Dragon's ideas and the way you present them. :cheersR: :cheersL:

(I also liked Dragon's sentiments behind his very elaborate solo play project -- although I must admit that it veered too far off regular Trek to be of use to me, personally. And since I found more people to play with, my incentive to use some of his magnificent ideas to create my own solitaire version -- as I stated back then -- became less urgent.)

It could be made into a card... (Below, I did revise some aspects that I think might make the concept more practical.)

[Evt] Transporter System Protocols.

Lore: The complexity of matter/energy transporter technology involves a lot of periodic diagnostics, prepping and resetting of the systems. Only highly skilled personnel can prevent delays due to safety protocols.

Gametext: Any player may only beam 6 personnel per ship per turn (only 2 if a shuttle). Each Transporter Skill present (at point of origin or destination) may allow one additional personnel to beam.
Last edited by SudenKapala on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:I like this idea, too. I also like'd Dragon's sentiments behind his solo play project (although must admit that it veered too far off regular Trek to be of use to me, personally).
It could be made into a card... (I did revise some things that I think might make the concept more practical.)

[Evt] Transporter System Protocols.

Lore: The complexity of matter/energy transporter technology involves a lot of periodic diagnostics, prepping and resetting of the systems. Only highly skilled personnel can prevent delays due to safety protocols.

Gametext: Any player may only beam 6 personnel per ship per turn (only 2 if a shuttle). Each Transporter Skill present (at point of origin or destination) may allow one additional personnel to beam.
Thanks for the kind words - I'm actually in the process of re-doing the solo project for 2019 as I agree it veered off too much in the 2018 version.

I think you might like some of the concepts I'm coming up with if these 2 ideas (beaming and ship capacity) wet your appetite...

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Cool! :D :thumbsup: And/but, see my heavily edited previous post, I jammed a lot of new stuff in while you posted your reaction. 8)

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the d[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]