This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:[Maq]
I didn't pick them because they're not an "affiliation", but there is definitely room to expand out the three themes...

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
[Fer]

All the good personnel are V.I.P or CIVILLIAN sure that helps report them at Tower of Commerce but it doesn't help you bust dilemmas.

Also no really good ships.

I guess things aren't too bad if you take all property logos but then you're not left with much in the way of play engines except Quark's Bar which forces you into a clunky Nor setup and Tower of Commerce and even then if you play both you risk being split between Bajor and Ferenginar depending on how the spaceline works out for you. Also must be noted if you play all property you lose access to Sucking Up To The Boss .

I guess what I really want is a [1E-DS9] [Fer] deck that doesn't rely on Nors and gets a decent amount of card draws and free plays. Or one that lets you bring the [Voy] [Fer] stuff into the fold. I mean Dr. Arridor is an amazing card but sees no play because it just simply can't fit within the accepted property logo paradigm the CC employs in their design.

Chuck in a way to boost ships like To Boldly Go and maybe report a few useful [NA] personnel for free and they could be playable.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Everybody is saying [Vid] but I think they need more than just a booster.

I thought the intention of what Charlie was asking is what affiliation can be made tier 1 with a small boost. To me that's Ferengi because they already have such a large base to work with.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Honestly, I'm surprised there's this many players who want to play Vidiians.

As a Trek nostalgia trip, [Vid] are completely uninteresting. Nobody pines for "Faces," do they?

As a mechanical matter, [Vid] are only almost completely uninteresting. They have that boarding thingy and the MEDICAL thing and maybe a little Organ Theft, but largely they're just a blob of faceless blobs who report as fast as they can to solve missions.

What's the attraction? [Baj] [Fer] and [Maq] all strike me as far more interesting on both counts.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You're not wrong - but the question was who "needs" it. Vidiians need it.

Now. If it's "Which single affiliation most wants a "booser set"?" Then my vote changes. With [1E-DS9] [Kli] at, or near, the top. Maybe [Baj] next...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:Honestly, I'm surprised there's this many players who want to play Vidiians.

As a Trek nostalgia trip, [Vid] are completely uninteresting. Nobody pines for "Faces," do they?

As a mechanical matter, [Vid] are only almost completely uninteresting. They have that boarding thingy and the MEDICAL thing and maybe a little Organ Theft, but largely they're just a blob of faceless blobs who report as fast as they can to solve missions.

What's the attraction? [Baj] [Fer] and [Maq] all strike me as far more interesting on both counts.
[Vid] has the potential to be interesting if anybody put a little effort in.

As bad as they were, I saw enough with my Regional deck to conclude that they aren't THAT far away from being good. A 9-18 card booster shot done right would make than an interesting affiliation to contend with.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
[Fer] in order to appease Heaney. Every change he wants makes sense if you realize his ultimate goal is to make [Fer] competitive.

I'm teasing of course, but I do think they are unusually bad given how much source material we have of them, so they're still my nomination.

[Vid] is a good choice, too. [TE] [SF] is fine as long as it's not no-hand nonsense, which should probably just be abandoned.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]