This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote:You're not wrong - but the question was who "needs" it. Vidiians need it.

Now. If it's "Which single affiliation most wants a "booser set"?" Then my vote changes. With [1E-DS9] [Kli] at, or near, the top. Maybe [Baj] next...
Yeah I would have [1E-DS9] [Kli] close but they already have Combined Task Force . It's just a stupid card to play in the current meta because what's the point in playing Klingons if you can't shoot at the Starship Enterprise :D
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: [Vid] has the potential to be interesting if anybody put a little effort in.

As bad as they were, I saw enough with my Regional deck to conclude that they aren't THAT far away from being good. A 9-18 card booster shot done right would make than an interesting affiliation to contend with.
I can definitely see them as close to being good. It's easy to make bad affiliations good: give them more cards that let them do more things for less cost. Instant good. But making them interesting seems like a huge challenge. Of all the affiliations in 1E, it seems to me that [Vid] has both the least flavor and the fewest story opportunities for better flavor. (Although [Hir] is a close competitor with them for this honor.)

I mean, where do you take them? You don't want to make the Phage (the most interesting thing about them) more deadly, because that would make them worse, not better. Making Organ Theft stronger or easier makes them good but not interesting, and it does a really good job covering most of what we ever saw Vidiians do. Their WEAPONS and Boarding Claw cover most of the rest.

That's... pretty much all the stories we ever saw with them. You can fix Denara Pel's broken link and make it something about Vidiians not being complete jerks. You can maybe figure out something to do with "Faces," splitting somebody into two halves somehow for some purpose, but is that going to have an affiliation-wide impact the way Rules of Acquisition inform Ferengi or intruding defines Dominion?

Sincerely asking. Very few things would make me more excited than an expansion that made [Vid] find a unique niche in the game beyond "they got a lotta MEDICAL." If somebody's got a great idea, by all means, let's do it. But, if [Vid] are going to remain this dull collection of blurry backgrounders who don't really do anything special, I'd just as soon leave them at the bottom of the power rankings until we have a better idea.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:I say because of the topic's typo, you make a "boozer" set instead. It could have Scotty, Morn, Damar...

;)
Why'd you tell him? We were three pages in! :D

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
AllenGould wrote:
Boffo97 wrote:I say because of the topic's typo, you make a "boozer" set instead. It could have Scotty, Morn, Damar...

;)
Why'd you tell him? We were three pages in! :D
Because I want a boozer set? :P

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote:Honestly, I'm surprised there's this many players who want to play Vidiians.

As a Trek nostalgia trip, [Vid] are completely uninteresting. Nobody pines for "Faces," do they?

As a mechanical matter, [Vid] are only almost completely uninteresting. They have that boarding thingy and the MEDICAL thing and maybe a little Organ Theft, but largely they're just a blob of faceless blobs who report as fast as they can to solve missions.

What's the attraction? [Baj] [Fer] and [Maq] all strike me as far more interesting on both counts.
Yes. Yes we do. (We might also be weird, but that's okay)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Breen or if that is a species then non alinged actually.

Since don't have alot of stuff for them. War council is basically half a deck.

Or if the set is going to be delta focused. Voyager romulans and klingons are next to nothing in the game except personnel in the game.

Anything but [Vid] they don't need more help to be cannibals. If you give [Vid] something new you should ban boarding claw.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:Breen or if that is a species then non alinged actually.

Since don't have alot of stuff for them. War council is basically half a deck.

Or if the set is going to be delta focused. Voyager romulans and klingons are next to nothing in the game except personnel in the game.

Anything but [Vid] they don't need more help to be cannibals.
Ever try War Council + Attention All Hands + Followers of the One or Mercenary Raiders?

If you can't build a deck with 3 free reports per turn, I don't know what to tell you.

It may not win Worlds, but it's at least both playable and competitive.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Marquetry wrote:Yes. Yes we do. (We might also be weird, but that's okay)
The vast majority of us (if not all) are here because we love old Star Trek card games.

Of course we're weird. :P
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Marquetry wrote:Yes. Yes we do. (We might also be weird, but that's okay)
Well, I stand corrected! As someone whose favorite movie is Insurrection, I have to applaud people who like unpopular parts of Trek.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
As a more serious answer to the question here, I do agree [Vid] need the most help. I also can see that they probably need more help than a small boutique product could give.

As well, how much material is out there that hasn't been tapped yet for personnel and ships given they weren't in many episodes to begin with?
HumQ: Pick of the Tribbles

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35