This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
BCSWowbagger wrote:My favorite oddly specific lore tag is "Snappy conversationalist."
And “snappy dresser”...
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:I was commenting on his status as a "dissident," which was in no way indicated by the episode. Why'd we put it on there? Because Cold Front had a cycle of cards dedicated to "making dissidents a thing." (It was actually originally a much larger part of the set, but did not succeed in playtesting.)
Also worth noting that questions about PAQ Decipher cards in the form of "why is Tomalak (or any other name-brand non-Fed) such a weak card?" can be answered by "they only put on what they could justify in episode back then". So.. letting designers whole-cloth some details on folks who the episode only cared about as "I need you to be menacing for three minutes" makes the game better.
Yeah, to be clear, I have no problem with this. Pad that skill box, attributes are fungible, do what you gotta. And I personally love the non-canonical stuff Creative comes up with to put in lore boxes.

Specifically in the context of "keyword salad," adding non-canonical lore that is also gameplay relevant is, I think, more challenging, because it's just plain harder to pick out keywords from lore and you want them to be sort of "natural" extensions of the character so you aren't having to scan every single lore box in your away team looking for somebody who might randomly have been assigned as a nurse.

I do love "snappy dresser."
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Specifically in the context of "keyword salad," adding non-canonical lore that is also gameplay relevant is, I think, more challenging, because it's just plain harder to pick out keywords from lore and you want them to be sort of "natural" extensions of the character so you aren't having to scan every single lore box in your away team looking for somebody who might randomly have been assigned as a nurse.
Well, we lost that fight when we started making lore game-relevant. :D

(And a moment to throw props to Creative, who manage to turn those lists of random keywords and make readable sentences out of them!)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: OR IS IT??
yes, you click it and it doesnt go anywhere.
(It links to a card in development that most people can't see.)
then dont link it. if you post in a public forum a link to a private thing then its not doing anyone any favors and might as well not be there.

i can post images to my private servers which have files set to not be public read rights, but then thats a broken link even if i technically can see it myself.
Yeah, I want more Ship Seizure in the game. I don't know why nobody builds decks around that card. I guess I probably should try!
when i was younger we used tractor beams to tow other ships around so we could go further in one turn. my future enterprise tows my uss enterprise 13 distance, then all my crew beam over to uss enterprise and it tows the future enterprise another 9 dsitance. two ships give me 22 range in one turn, i can travel half the spaceline.

obviusly we were doing it wrong but we didnt know back then. figured tractor beam had to be for something, seemed like a natural fit.
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:(And a moment to throw props to Creative, who manage to turn those lists of random keywords and make readable sentences out of them!)
It's astonishing, really. And then they still have space for jokes!
Well, we lost that fight when we started making lore game-relevant.
Yes, and, as I said, I've played as much a role in that as anyone (another of mine), but I think the point is that we don't need to keep digging the hole any deeper, y'know? There's plenty of other design space that might be just as enriching without being so taxing on players.
when i was younger we used tractor beams to tow other ships around so we could go further in one turn. my future enterprise tows my uss enterprise 13 distance, then all my crew beam over to uss enterprise and it tows the future enterprise another 9 dsitance. two ships give me 22 range in one turn, i can travel half the spaceline.

obviusly we were doing it wrong but we didnt know back then. figured tractor beam had to be for something, seemed like a natural fit.
Doesn't Activate Tractor Beam allow you to do that very thing? It's more expensive than just doing it for free, but still potentially neat. (Never occurred to me to use it like that!)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Doesn't Activate Tractor Beam allow you to do that very thing? It's more expensive than just doing it for free, but still potentially neat. (Never occurred to me to use it like that!)
yes when that card came out is probably why we realized we were doing sometihng illegal.

so now to do the trick you have to have one for each ship, otherwise your towed ship has to keep going on its own without towing the ship that towed it first.

also im assuming the interrupt stays on the ship for the rest of the game, like an event, since it seems worded that way.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
maybe there should be a special equipment icon, that goes on cards that do things with special equipment. and then a special equipment helper card which lets you download one special equipment icon card each turn, and also retroactively gives the special equipment icon to cards that should probably have it, like activate tractor beam or engage cloak.
 -  
Community Contributor
I actually JUST checked the Glossary on this, because I forgot how towing works.

According to the Glossary, first function of ATB is temporary, lasting only until end of turn; the second is permanent.

This seems clearly wrong to me. It's unclear to me why one of these powers would be temporary and the other permanent. Maybe a case of Decipher getting the wording wrong and trying to fix it in rules later.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:I actually JUST checked the Glossary on this, because I forgot how towing works.

According to the Glossary, first function of ATB is temporary, lasting only until end of turn; the second is permanent.

This seems clearly wrong to me. It's unclear to me why one of these powers would be temporary and the other permanent. Maybe a case of Decipher getting the wording wrong and trying to fix it in rules later.
I'd agree - it either needs an "until end of turn" added, or the ruling removed.
 -  
Community Contributor
aabecame wrote:I would like to see something done with Orion Syndicate
^ THIS GUY. That's a great idea. That's not the only "abandoned skill," but it's a very prominent one.

(Full disclosure: it's one that's near and dear to my heart for very biased reasons.)

MAKE IT SO 2013 RETROSPECTIVE: Zef'no and I argued for -- quite literally -- days about whether Flith should have Barbering or not. We eventually cut Flith from the cycle anyway. Zef'no was right, though: our team, which also included Michael Moskop, should've gone with the DS9 Klingon cycle we did instead of the Syndicate cycle. We had a really nifty mechanic for that built around [SD] Music, because there's a surprising amount of Klingon music in Star Trek if you look. Still kinda hoping I get to do DS9 Klingons someday and bring that mechanic back in.

By Ausgang (Gerald Sieber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Yes, Orion Syndicate would be nice. And also some of the kind-of-related traits like Arms dealer or Thief. I'd also like to see the Gatherers.
 -  
Community Contributor
Ausgang wrote:I'd also like to see the Gatherers.
Edgeofhearing in 3, 2, 1...

(P.S. I agree, and with arms dealer and thief as well. Come to think of it, we have an actual [Crime] icon that is barely used, don't we?)

((Which, in turn, reminds me: there's definitely space to actually do something with [Pursuit], too.)
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]