This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:We had a really nifty mechanic for that built around [SD] Music, because there's a surprising amount of Klingon music in Star Trek if you look. Still kinda hoping I get to do DS9 Klingons someday and bring that mechanic back in.
I wouldn't say it's surprising, but rather, logical -- after hew-mons and their hobbies, Klingons certainly are shown to be most musically-minded.
I'd love to see that mechanic one day. :thumbsup:
BCSWowbagger wrote:whether Flith should have Barbering or not.
I'd have loved that. :lol:

Does the fact that you "spoilt" those WIP cards mean that we'll never get to see those cards for real?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:James, I'm going to have to go look that up. Was it at all compatible with the other Music design we had in Delenn?

-crp
As I recall, it was not incompatible, but it was also very Klingon-oriented, so not quite a fit with the more general Music tech we had in Delenn. I thought about bringing it up in Delenn, but frankly just couldn't remember a lot of the details. I remember the Team Kirk forum had a bunch of notes about it and I wish I could remember more of them. (Hopefully it is as rich as I remember, and I'm not just looking back six years ago through rose-colored glasses!)

Here's the only musical cards I saved from the cycle to my personal computer, and they're very straightforward:
[Evt] Warrior's Anthem
"Qoy qeylIs puqloD. Qoy puqbe'pu'.
yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw."

Draw a card for each Music personnel aboard your
Klingon ship (limit 4). Discard event. OR Plays on table.
Each of your [Kli] Music personnel is attributes all +1.

[Kli] Tavana
Engineer who befriended Jadzia Dax in 2373. Known aboard
the I.K.S. Rotarran for her unfailing humor and optimism.
Romantically involved with Ortakin.
[Cmd] ENGINEER
[SD] Computer Skill [SD] Physics [SD] Archaeology
[SD] Honor [SD] Music [DL] Warrior's Anthem

Integrity: 7 Cunning: 7 Strength: 7
I have a couple other Rotarran cards from that team saved (Kornan, Ortakin, a DS9 Worf because this was pre-20th Anniversary and we still needed one), but I feel sure there were more music cards in our "cut file."
Does the fact that you "spoilt" those WIP cards mean that we'll never get to see those cards for real?
This was for Make It So, a reality-show style competition that was last run in 2013. (I lost.) Link: https://www.trekcc.org/makeitso/

So all the cards I showed earlier for the Syndicate were made public at the time. MiS cards aren't true "WIP" cards, because the people working on them aren't designers... but MiS graduates do tend to end up in Design (even losers like me), and MiS concepts have been known to find their way into official sets because the people who came up with them were attached to them. (And, with some polish, they're often good ideas!)

EDIT: For example, check out Protect Peace Conference here!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1138 for explaining. So there is hope for these jewels.
BCSWowbagger wrote:For example, check out Protect Peace Conference here!
The Anthem rocks. But more interesting cards where that came from! :o Bargain With Borg, e.g., thematically appeals to me as well. :thumbsup:

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I think all of these are great ideas.

I would love for Music to be used more. Same with Orion Syndicate.

By Tosk
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I realize I'm late to this conversation but after reading through the replies, I'd most like to second the nomination of "Thief". Mechanics could include simply grabbing equipment cards, to staging a "cat burglar" sort of scenario where your Thief acts like an infiltrator on an opponent's ship, heists that reward you for stealing artifacts and fencing the loot with Vash at Quark's Bar. Or Punishment cards giving players more ways to deal with pesky thieves making the promenade inhospitable.

My own idea to add to the mix is to inject some new life into Tactic cards with some unused (or underused) traits on ships. Most of the tactic cards that Decipher gave us are rather uninspired affiliation-specific duplicates of each other. That is, Pulse Disruptor is to Klingons as Plasma Torpedo is to Romulans as Spiral Disruptor is to Cardassians and so on.

By why not create some tactic cards with bonuses based on other traits? We see some little hint of this with "Evasive Maneuvers", and class-specific cards (but only for Federation ships!). Why not a tactic that gives bonuses to Battleships, or Scout ships, or Science ships or Cruisers? Or even a tactic that is suited to the mysterious "Unknown Class" ships. And these don't have to just be boring ATTACK and DEFENSE bonuses either; a Science Class ship might nullify an event that is boosting the opponent's attributes, or a scout ship might get a chance to warp away to an adjacent mission and avoid the fight completely.
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all o[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0