This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:I haven't seen a thread started on this newly teased virtual promo cards so I thought I would start one. What do you all think of You Know I'd Like to Help? I really have no idea how helpful this card will be yet.
First, it is not "teased" just to clarify. The card is legal and playable as of today. Second, I think this will see play in a good number of decks since it can be downloaded by Starbase 247. Free plays of ships is a big deal and I for one will be considering it for a good number of decks.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Comicbookhero wrote:
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:I haven't seen a thread started on this newly teased virtual promo cards so I thought I would start one. What do you all think of You Know I'd Like to Help? I really have no idea how helpful this card will be yet.
First, it is not "teased" just to clarify. The card is legal and playable as of today. Second, I think this will see play in a good number of decks since it can be downloaded by Starbase 247. Free plays of ships is a big deal and I for one will be considering it for a good number of decks.
Yeah, I should have used the word "released" instead of "teased". So, if I am reading the card correctly, you can report two ships for free per game at Starbase 247. One with Admiral Riker and Fleet Admiral Shanthi if they are on the station?
Last edited by Tyberius_Deangelo on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
They fixed a broken link!

THEY FIXED A BROKEN LINK!

:) :) :D :D :cheersL: :cheersR:

This is the most important card for facility commanders yet. The obvious -- and, I suspect, quite frequent -- target of this is going to be Deep Space 9 and its brethren (Mirror Terok Nor, the Other Mirror Terok Nor, Terok Nor proper, etc.), if only because DS9 is so central and actually has a few facility commanders around. On the other hand, Sites already give you a whole lot of convenient ways to get ships, so, is it worth the extra seed? Tough choice.

What other facility commanders are there in the game? Starbase 247 has two, and it's a tough choice whether to get this or that Spacedock it downloads.

Choices, choices.

Delighted with this card, though.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I've said this before, but I love that we made "facility commander" a thing. It really opened up some new design space and gives us a chance to try cool cards like this.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Comicbookhero wrote:First, it is not "teased" just to clarify. The card is legal and playable as of today.
The Virtual Promo list says the card isn't legal and printable until July 3rd, 2017.

But since there's no watermark on the card image, I'm assuming it's a mistake and you're correct.

BTW, is anyone keeping a list of all currently extant broken links?
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:So, if I am reading the card correctly, you can report two ships for free per game at Starbase 247. One with Admiral Riker and Fleet Admiral Shanthi if they are on the station?
Yup! Another reason this card is great.
EHCCGPP wrote:The Virtual Promo list says the card isn't legal and printable until July 3rd, 2017.

But since there's no watermark on the card image, I'm assuming it's a mistake and you're correct.

BTW, is anyone keeping a list of all currently extant broken links?
The article specifically states:
4. When can I use these cards?
The non-foil versions are available right now and are legal immediately. These can be used in any format that allows virtual promo cards. The foil versions are only going to be available through league kits.
I'll make sure the VP list is updated. As for a list, Design knows what threads we have dangling out there, but it is the players' job to keep an eye out for them when we "seal up" a broken link. Personally, I definitely prefer seeing that moment when someone realizes that this has happened. Just see BCSWowbagger's post above as proof! ;)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:Will Ready Room Door extend to facilities as well? Or would that open a can of worms?
Well, just look at the wording on Ready Room Door. "Download to one of your ships its matching commander." So you have a facility commander in your deck. Can you download him to a ship as a facility commander? No, because he commands a facility, not that ship. And the card doesn't authorize you to download him to a facility -- only a ship.

So Ready Room Door can't help facility commanders. They just don't intersect.

In fact, if you go through all the existing matching commander-related cards other than the ones that specifically mention facility commanders, not a single one "works" for facilities. Captain's Log only boosts ships, not facilities. Your Place Is On The Bridge only works for ships, not facilities. Trouble...On The Bridge hits ships, not facilities.

(In current rules, there is also the additional barrier that facility commanders aren't technically matching commanders at all; they're considered a similar but different thing. But, for my money, the cards themselves accomplish the same compartmentalization.)
As for a list, Design knows what threads we have dangling out there, but it is the players' job to keep an eye out for them when we "seal up" a broken link.
Sounds like it's time to get a player list going! I can think of Intuition (Deanna Troi (The Next Generation)), Group of Individuals (Third of Five), Comfort Women (Kira Meru), and Kosst Amojan (Dukat (Things Past)) off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I won't lie, I do love broken links. I tried (and failed) to convince the Star Trek 50 team that it would be hilarious to add a new one. I know that some people love them, and others hate them, but they are a tradition. But there isn't a nefarious intent behind them. More often than not, it's added for a) flavor, or b) because a card that would be expected to be downloaded by a personnel/ship ended up cut, or c) because there was an ability on the card with the [DL] that wasn't working.

We will fill every broken link. Sometimes we plan on it and then plans change; Kosst Amojan is a good example of this. It was planned for the DS9 block before we limited it to Seasons 1-3. What we're not going to do is create them for the sake of closing them. We don't have a file of cards that we're holding back. When the opportunity presents itself to fill one, we will.

-crp

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
CC fixed the broken link on Starbase 247! You Know I'd Like to Help
Seeds or plays on your facility. If your facility commander aboard, your matching ship reporting here may do so for free (once per game per facility commander). (Unique.)

I am not entirely sure what to think about this cards. It downloads for free with the outpost, and then I can play two ship for free: Admiral Riker + Future Enterprise and Fleet Admiral Shanthi + U.S.S. Thunderchild.

Would I use this card without Starbase 247? I am really not sure. I play a card to play somewhere maybe a ship or two for free. Is there any good combo I do not see here?

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
This thread should probably get merged with the already existing thread on this card. MOD NOTE[BCSWowbagger]: Duly merged.

I did just notice a grammar error on the card. Instead of "Starbase 247 commander Admiral Riker could request a ship for his old captain but hesitated to anger the Klingon Empire."

...it would read much better and match the later "hesitated" to make that "could have requested".

Of course, events in a future that will no longer happen (if it really ever was going to) make verb tenses run away screaming anyway. :D
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
JeBuS wrote:Will Ready Room Door extend to facilities as well? Or would that open a can of worms?
Well, just look at the wording on Ready Room Door. "Download to one of your ships its matching commander." So you have a facility commander in your deck. Can you download him to a ship as a facility commander? No, because he commands a facility, not that ship. And the card doesn't authorize you to download him to a facility -- only a ship.

So Ready Room Door can't help facility commanders. They just don't intersect.

In fact, if you go through all the existing matching commander-related cards other than the ones that specifically mention facility commanders, not a single one "works" for facilities. Captain's Log only boosts ships, not facilities. Your Place Is On The Bridge only works for ships, not facilities. Trouble...On The Bridge hits ships, not facilities.

(In current rules, there is also the additional barrier that facility commanders aren't technically matching commanders at all; they're considered a similar but different thing. But, for my money, the cards themselves accomplish the same compartmentalization.)
To be clear, I wasn't asking if it does that now. I was asking about the future possibility of it.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pazuzu wrote: Would I use this card without Starbase 247? I am really not sure. I play a card to play somewhere maybe a ship or two for free. Is there any good combo I do not see here?
Good with DS9 crew.

Benjamin Sisko & Colonel Kira would net you two cards. The bad part is that it would require a seed slot. With Starbase 247 at least it's a free DL. Perhaps down the line we'll get a Sisko/Kira or even a Dukat/Founder Leader/Weyoun with the auto DL.

~D

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]