This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: The Vulcans were a noble experiment in trying to do something else. Vulcans were supposed to be below "the pace" but have the power to slow everyone else down to their level. (Maquis had something kinda similar.) But the balance wasn't struck, and Vulcs ended up both on pace AND with some nasty interference. No blame there, glad they tried, hope they try again.
I disagree with this take.

I think you're looking at their list of capabilities and saying "OMG Vulcans can do EVERYTHING!"

And you're kinda right, but also kinda wrong.

Vulcans can definitely do speed. Wisdom Vulcan solver is one of the best options out there if you want to drop quality people fast and roll through missions.

Prior to the recent errata, Vulcans could definitely do interference. Power Vulcans were good at policing the spaceline both directly with their ships and commanders and indirectly with their [Sch] cards.

But IDIC cards, like [WC] and [RC] cards, were built to be enablers of different deck types. So while "Vulcan solver" and "Vulcan interference" decks both exist and are both good, there isn't one "supervulcan" interference/speed deck that is just the best thing ever, which is how I read your above post.

Overall I thought the Vulcan affiliation was very well done and a good addition to the game. The first cuts of both Power and Wisdom were over the top and the first round of errata on both were good.

Of course, now, Vulcans are mainly a speed solver affiliation. As I said on office hours, I don't think post-second-errata Power holds up in the current meta. I'd be very happy if somebody proved that view wrong.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
The thing is -- and Commdecker can jump out of a closet and hit me with a brickbat if I'm remembering this wrong -- Wisdom Vulcs weren't supposed to be speedsters. All Vulcans were planned to be below "the pace," but also have the ability to keep you, the opponent, below "the pace" as well. (Thus universal access to Temper Advancements and so forth.) Wisdom Vulcs were supposed to be more effective than Power Vulcs at solving, but still not as speedy as, say, [EE] . Power Vulcs were supposed to be even slower at solving (i.e. REAL slow), but better than anyone else in the game at simply slowing you down.

I think this concept was somewhat frayed even by the time LLAP was released, but this is how I remember the original pitch for Vulcans going.

And, like I said, it was a good idea, even though it didn't really work out that way. (And I don't have anything against Vulcs today; they're just different from what I understood the plan for them to be.)
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]