This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Should Dixon Hill stay banned?

Keep Dixon Hill banned
38%
Unban Dixon Hill
62%

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I voted unban, but I'll reiterate that maybe a middle ground of a "supervised release" could be more palatable. Unban him for a period of time, see what happens, revisit decision at the end of that period.

If I'm wrong and he's still super broken, then the rebanning is easy and justifiable. If I'm right and he's not broken in the modern game, then we set him free as is and we have one less card on the ban list.

But another benefit of this exercise would be to see WHY he's still super broken (if he is) and give errata some current insight on what changes would be needed to release him safely into the wild.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I voted unban.

The worst that can happen is everybody starts playing high point missions opponents can steal and you end up seeing who can race their Dix there first. The meta can adjust to that in time.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:I voted unban, but I'll reiterate that maybe a middle ground of a "supervised release" could be more palatable. Unban him for a period of time, see what happens, revisit decision at the end of that period.

If I'm wrong and he's still super broken, then the rebanning is easy and justifiable. If I'm right and he's not broken in the modern game, then we set him free as is and we have one less card on the ban list.

But another benefit of this exercise would be to see WHY he's still super broken (if he is) and give errata some current insight on what changes would be needed to release him safely into the wild.
I think there's lots of merit to this. I don't see any other cards on the ban list that fit the bill except maybe Time Travel Pod, but parole seems like a good approach for Dix.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: I think there's lots of merit to this. I don't see any other cards on the ban list that fit the bill except maybe Time Travel Pod, but parole seems like a good approach for Dix.
I'd disagree - if we're going with "it's been a long time, maybe it's not a problem anymore and we should check"... I'd say most of those card could come off the list.

(Now, the percentage that would be back *on* inside of a year.. that's a different question. :) )
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: I think there's lots of merit to this. I don't see any other cards on the ban list that fit the bill except maybe Time Travel Pod, but parole seems like a good approach for Dix.
I'd disagree - if we're going with "it's been a long time, maybe it's not a problem anymore and we should check"... I'd say most of those card could come off the list.
Only if there's good reason to think it's not a problem anymore. I think there is good reason with Dix. Not so much with, say, Distortion of Space/Time Continuum or Palor Toff.
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Only if there's good reason to think it's not a problem anymore.
Yeah, but folks have been arguing about all the cards on the list since it started. :)

I mean, what's so terrible about Palor Toff? It's nothing ore processing or Nanoprobes can't do.. ;)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
One aspect of Dixon Hill that hasn't been discussed much yet is that he's the ultimate mission stealer. Sure, he's great for your own missions, but presumably you also intentionally packed a bunch of other personnel who can solve the mission.

Dix, though, gives you the ability to swoop in and steal any mission, regardless of requirements, so you don't need to plan ahead beyond bringing him to steal missions. In OTF, this ability is matchup dependent since you can't count on your opponent to bring high point missions. Using Dix to steal 50 point missions seems like the kind of thing that some people would classify as a NPE.

I think it could make for some interesting dynamics, but mission stealing is something people can be sensitive about, so that's an important factor to consider.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote:One aspect of Dixon Hill that hasn't been discussed much yet is that he's the ultimate mission stealer. Sure, he's great for your own missions, but presumably you also intentionally packed a bunch of other personnel who can solve the mission.

Dix, though, gives you the ability to swoop in and steal any mission, regardless of requirements, so you don't need to plan ahead beyond bringing him to steal missions. In OTF, this ability is matchup dependent since you can't count on your opponent to bring high point missions. Using Dix to steal 50 point missions seems like the kind of thing that some people would classify as a NPE.

I think it could make for some interesting dynamics, but mission stealing is something people can be sensitive about, so that's an important factor to consider.
True but if memory serves this will only work with [NA] missions or if your opponents missions have icons on that mission that match your affiliation. As far as I know it'd be impossible for my Cardassian opponent to steal Wormhole Negotiations with Dixon Hill unless they have like Kira or Agent Garak to switch to Federation mode and initiate the mission attempt. Which of course isn't impossible but with so many affiliations may not happen.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Slayer07 wrote:
True but if memory serves this will only work with [NA] missions or if your opponents missions have icons on that mission that match your affiliation. As far as I know it'd be impossible for my Cardassian opponent to steal Wormhole Negotiations with Dixon Hill unless they have like Kira or Agent Garak to switch to Federation mode and initiate the mission attempt. Which of course isn't impossible but with so many affiliations may not happen.
This is a fair point, it is a little more resource intensive than I originally made it sound, though not that much harder. Out of the 57 40+ point missions in the game, Dix plus a federation personnel can solve 37 of them, so this would be a boon to Federation decks, I suppose. Other affiliations could use espionage or dual Allison personnel to cover the vast majority of high point missions fairly easily too.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:

(Now, the percentage that would be back *on* inside of a year.. that's a different question. :) )
Agreed. Clone machine is another one.

Plenty of them should be off the list or given a limited reprieve.

I mean this is the perfect time of the year to do that. Take them off the list, see what happens between now and regional season.

Yes I know there are major events on the calendar but those would show what these cards might do to affect the meta and if they are overpowered or not
 -  
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote: I mean this is the perfect time of the year to do that. Take them off the list, see what happens between now and regional season.

Yes I know there are major events on the calendar but those would show what these cards might do to affect the meta and if they are overpowered or not
Which is why I wonder if the off-season *is* the best time to do this sort of stress-testing. It seems the general curve of the year is "ho hum", followed by "hey, this might be good", and then when Regionals hit the hardcores go break everything. We don't want to know if I think pulling card X is good in a deck, we want Tufts to show us why it's terrible. :)

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
DarkSabre wrote: I mean this is the perfect time of the year to do that. Take them off the list, see what happens between now and regional season.

Which is why I wonder if the off-season *is* the best time to do this sort of stress-testing. It seems the general curve of the year is "ho hum", followed by "hey, this might be good", and then when Regionals hit the hardcores go break everything. We don't want to know if I think pulling card X is good in a deck, we want Tufts to show us why it's terrible. :)
We can do incentives for people who use these cards in tournaments monthly.

I think that doing it during championship season it’ll lead to more disgruntleness among players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
in light of the recently brought up point about mission stealing, i voted to keep the ban. this guy needs a little bit of work. thematically and power-wise, he should be errataed to only being able to solve YOUR mission.

but it's not hard to do the errata and try an unban. theres no reason it should be taking this long.

and if thats still too powerful, then try out my suggestion: "once per game, may meet any single requirement when solving your mission."

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
AllenGould wrote:

Oh darn it... #GuineaPigTime :P
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]