This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Should Dixon Hill stay banned?

Keep Dixon Hill banned
38%
Unban Dixon Hill
62%

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Discovery rox wrote:in light of the recently brought up point about mission stealing, i voted to keep the ban. this guy needs a little bit of work. thematically and power-wise, he should be errataed to only being able to solve YOUR mission.

but it's not hard to do the errata and try an unban. theres no reason it should be taking this long.

and if thats still too powerful, then try out my suggestion: "once per game, may meet any single requirement when solving your mission."
Here's my thing about all mission-stealing-related concerns in the current OTF environment:

If you choose to run stealable missions, don't cry when they get stolen (ESPECIALLY if you didn't do anything to protect them).

There is no shortage of Tier One, potentially Worlds winning decks that are completely theft-proof. It's not only possible, but very easy, to build a deck where an opponent can't steal your missions, period.

If you don't want your missions stolen, play one of those many many decks.

Now I know there's been some other threads on changing the OTF mission stealing rules, and if that happens then the above view would obviously need to be reevaluated in the context of the revised rule. However, ceteris paribus, I don't see this as a significant issue.

:twocents:
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Marquetry wrote: Oh darn it... #GuineaPigTime :P
First: :cheersR:

Second: this leads to my argument why this sort of thing should be tied to a side event at a major - we don't want this to be the best player in the neighborhood beating everyone about the head and shoulders, but our best players showing us the worst that can happen (and also teching against that worst).

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Here's my thing about all mission-stealing-related concerns in the current OTF environment:

If you choose to run stealable missions, don't cry when they get stolen (ESPECIALLY if you didn't do anything to protect them).

There is no shortage of Tier One, potentially Worlds winning decks that are completely theft-proof. It's not only possible, but very easy, to build a deck where an opponent can't steal your missions, period.

Now I know there's been some other threads on changing the OTF mission stealing rules, and if that happens then the above view would obviously need to be reevaluated in the context of the revised rule. However, ceteris paribus, I don't see this as a significant issue.

Just for clarification sake, explain how to choose missions that are completely theft proof. I know of course the biggest one is to choose missions that are only attemptable with your chosen affiliation, but that isn't always an option. What other ways exist? Basically asking because I don't play high level tournaments.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Slayer07 wrote:
Armus wrote:

Just for clarification sake, explain how to choose missions that are completely theft proof. I know of course the biggest one is to choose missions that are only attemptable with your chosen affiliation, but that isn't always an option. What other ways exist? Basically asking because I don't play high level tournaments.

In OTF you can only attempt your opponent's mission if you seeded a copy or if it's a ❖ mission or a mission with a point box showing 40 or more points.

So if you don't want your missions stolen, keep it to 35 point or less unique missions, and there's no shortage of those!

That doesn't totally solve it since mission duplication can still happen, but since you'll be putting dilemmas under shared missions, it's still not a freebie.

You are correct that in open format, there's nothing you can do to prevent your opponent from stealing your mission by rule, though limiting the number of affiliation icons on your opponent's side of the card is a good start and Fair Play has been a pretty good deterrent for a long time, and was the basis for the OTF rule.

Does that help clarify it for you? :cheersL:
Last edited by Armus on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think there should be a 3rd option. So I pick errata dixon hill then unban the card. It seems to be the way of things. If hill comes off then so should holmes. So we actually be able to use those holoprograms fully.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:I think there should be a 3rd option. So I pick errata dixon hill then unban the card. It seems to be the way of things. If hill comes off then so should holmes. So we actually be able to use those holoprograms fully.
That's the issue: there's no consensus on what to errata him TO, let alone whether errata is needed in the first place.

That's the point of this whole conversation.

And Sherlock Holmes is a completely separate discussion. If you want to advocate for unbanning him, I recommend starting a new thread.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Here's my thing about all mission-stealing-related concerns in the current OTF environment:

oh i have no problem with mission stealing and i think it should be a bigger part of the game.

i just think that if you get to pick the dilemmas under your opponents mission that your going to steal, you should have to apply at least a little bit more effort to solving it then just playing dixon hill, who is already you mission solving trump card anyway.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: That's the issue: there's no consensus on what to errata him TO, let alone whether errata is needed in the first place.

yes but the poll needs a third option. right now the options are:

1 release dixon hill unchanged
2 keep dixon hill banned and continue to do nothing for years

there should be

3 make a change and release it to see how it goes

maybe the majority think a change is needed. even if its the wrong change it should be tested to show that and thats just not happening right now.
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery rox wrote: there should be

Problem is "make a change" without saying what the change *is* isn't useful information. Do you mean make it better, make it worse, make it a *lot* worse?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Discovery rox wrote:
Armus wrote: That's the issue: there's no consensus on what to errata him TO, let alone whether errata is needed in the first place.

there should be

maybe the majority think a change is needed. even if its the wrong change it should be tested to show that and thats just not happening right now.
I would be much more supportive of your option 3 if the rule to not revisit errata once published didn't exist. As is, I don't want another Q - better to leave Dix on the ban list so at least the Open players can use him.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Discovery rox wrote: there should be

Problem is "make a change" without saying what the change *is* isn't useful information. Do you mean make it better, make it worse, make it a *lot* worse?
i agree its not complete information. if it wins, then perhaps a follow up poll should be taken.

but its not useless information.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: I would be much more supportive of your option 3 if the rule to not revisit errata once published didn't exist. As is, I don't want another Q - better to leave Dix on the ban list so at least the Open players can use him.
this rule needs to change then. q needs to be fixed, nobody likes it. and this rule is apparently also getting in the way of fixing other cards, like dixon hill.

saying we dont revisit errata is like saying we dont make mistakes. its arrogant hubris to insist that once youve tried to fix it once then its fixed no matter what.
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery rox wrote:
Armus wrote: I would be much more supportive of your option 3 if the rule to not revisit errata once published didn't exist. As is, I don't want another Q - better to leave Dix on the ban list so at least the Open players can use him.
this rule needs to change then. q needs to be fixed, nobody likes it. .
I will pause to note that while "nobody likes Q", I have yet to hear a suggestion for replacement text that isn't just "make a new card and call it 'Q'" (Red Alert has similar problems)

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Discovery rox wrote:

there should be

I would be much more supportive of your option 3 if the rule to not revisit errata once published didn't exist. As is, I don't want another Q - better to leave Dix on the ban list so at least the Open players can use him.
I feel like you missread Charlie's last post on this. His last post said:
MidnightLich wrote:For a long time, we had a policy of not revisiting errata unless there was need for additional errata. While I can't promise anything, we're now looking at options for doing exactly this kind of thing.

-crp
Which to me reads as we no longer have a "policy of not revisiting errata..." and that we are not open to revisiting things.

- James M

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Orbin wrote:I feel like you missread Charlie's last post on this. His last post said:
MidnightLich wrote:For a long time, we had a policy of not revisiting errata unless there was need for additional errata. While I can't promise anything, we're now looking at options for doing exactly this kind of thing.

-crp
Which to me reads as we no longer have a "policy of not revisiting errata..." and that we are not open to revisiting things.

- James M
Until I see a decision that "what they're looking at" has become "what is" I'm going to assume status quo.

I'd love for there to be a new approach, and I respect that "looking at it" can take some time, but I'm not going to assume anything while it's being "looked at" because he also said he "can't promise anything"

I take him at his word on both counts, thus status quo until otherwise informed.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]