This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Sherlock Holmes thoughts

Unban
9%
Errata and unban
64%
Keep on ban list
27%

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sherlock Holmes

I think the card needs a more flavorful errata to fit Sherlock Holmes. If it did something with clues or solving a crime.

Errata is needed because the ability has to go flat out period. I'm against the ability all day everyday.

The reason why it needs to be unban is because it makes the holoprogram really terrible. john watson is pointless without Sherlock Holmes. You don't even get the free download of the holoprogram.

What do you think?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Klauser wrote:Agreed, Sherlock Holmes needs errata.

I suggest changing the last skill dot to tie in to John Watson's ability. Something like:

"End of each turn, if with John Watson, you may draw an additional card."

My idea for his ability is twice per game may capture any including your own Professor Moriarty.

It would open up the door to alot of options. Awaiting trial would give you card draw for example. It would be flavorful too.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:
Klauser wrote:Agreed, Sherlock Holmes needs errata.

I suggest changing the last skill dot to tie in to John Watson's ability. Something like:

"End of each turn, if with John Watson, you may draw an additional card."

My idea for his ability is twice per game may capture any including your own Professor Moriarty.

It would open up the door to alot of options. Awaiting trial would give you card draw for example. It would be flavorful too.
He'd have to be present for the ability to work as it makes no sense to do that with someone on the other side of the spaceline. And I seriously doubt it would work on your own personnel, Moriarty or anyone else. It'd likely end up as
[SD] Twice per game, may capture one opposing personnel at this location

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:Errata is needed because the ability has to go flat out period. I'm against the ability all day everyday.
In this case, is that errata or just a new card?

:twocents: Errata should be power tweaks, clarifications, modernizations, etc. of the same card. In theory, a player who came to a tournament unaware of an errata could be told "no, actually it works. little different now" and the deck would still work (I know in practice many errata's haven't worked out this way, but should be the goal).

If you are talking about giving him a different ability then I think that's a different card. Might as well make a new one.

In this case, an errata should be a drawing mechanic that mirrors opponents drawing. But that's hard to implement.

And I guess the problem with Sherlock Holmes isn't the ability exactly, it's that he's a drawing mechanic on a Non-aligned personnel card.
Last edited by Tim on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
IIRC, the reason Holmes got banned wasn't the draw mechanic, but the fact that you could convert every draw to a download.

This led to some bizarre interactions. Like, if you have Tribunal of Q out, you can use its text to download every single Ref card into play, even if you only have one card in hand less than your opponent.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:IIRC, the reason Holmes got banned wasn't the draw mechanic, but the fact that you could convert every draw to a download..
I think you're not recalling correctly - Holmes says "(without downloading)" :D
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:IIRC, the reason Holmes got banned wasn't the draw mechanic, but the fact that you could convert every draw to a download..
Got me there!

Man, I wonder what I am thinking of, then. Getting too old for this!

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
Got me there!
Probably Borg shenanigans....
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
Got me there!

Might have been tied to Hexany or other decks that can blow out their hands every turn? Esp. since you can fire this, draw up to opponent size, *then* do your own draw engines?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Holmes is one that would be difficult to errata and maintain the spirit of the original skill, since any Non aligned drawing is potentially really powerful. Even a dialed down version of the original skill, like drawing a single card if you have fewer cards than your opponent, would be powerful.

This is one of the Holodeck Adventures cards where the card is only vaguely related to the episode at best, so maybe an errata to give him an entirely different special skill would be okay, but then it feels like we're just making errata to shorten the ban list.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

HumQ: Pick of the Tribbles

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]