This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Sherlock Holmes thoughts

Unban
9%
Errata and unban
64%
Keep on ban list
27%
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote:Holmes is one that would be difficult to errata and maintain the spirit of the original skill, since any Non aligned drawing is potentially really powerful. Even a dialed down version of the original skill, like drawing a single card if you have fewer cards than your opponent, would be powerful.
That's part of the reason my suggestion limited the player by disallowing any other card draws.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'll admit I'm not sure why this is banned. The draw mechanic is nice but it doesnt seem SO overly powerful to me.

From what I have seen, more often than not, players hands are usually pretty similar in size. So Carlos would net you an extra 2 draws a turn? Definitely strong but ban worthy? Schmeh.

Having said that, in an effort to get it off the ban list, curb its power by:

- adding "thrice per game."
or
- adding "draw no other cards this turn."

Something akin to that ... just spit balling here.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Se7enofMine wrote:I'll admit I'm not sure why this is banned. The draw mechanic is nice but it doesnt seem SO overly powerful to me.

From what I have seen, more often than not, players hands are usually pretty similar in size. So Carlos would net you an extra 2 draws a turn? Definitely strong but ban worthy? Schmeh.

or

That's because players spend roughly equivalent resources on drawing those cards, if one player can reduce the amount of resources they're spending to get draws and rely on the opponent to do it for them, they'll then have more dilemmas/play engines/interference mechanics.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Spectre9 wrote:I'd prefer to unban cards in their original form.

Errata is just creating a new version.

The point of unbanning in my opinion should be to allow people to play original unaltered Decipher cards.
You want Decipher cards there's a format for that: Open Traditional. Play as read.

This is why I said in one of these threads that we shouldn't errata cards just to get them off the ban list. Better a broken banned card than a useless unbanned card specifically because of Open formats.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
admiral-mogh wrote:These polls are biased. Why are there 3 options on this one, but only 2 options on the other ban/unban polls? :shifty:
There not biased I didn't create the other polls. There is 3 options here because it makes sense. There should be a errata option on dixon hill too. I even put it in my post actually. It does prove spectre 9 just wants the card unbanned only.

My poll is keep on ban list, errata and unban, or if you like the current card just unban it. It is really the only 3 options that can realistic exist for this poll.

Btw I love doing options my improve battle system poll had 10 options :D

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote: ... This is one of the Holodeck Adventures cards where the card is only vaguely related to the episode at best, so maybe an errata to give him an entirely different special skill would be okay ...
You nailed it.

There was A LOT of errors that crept in with HA. My local group was part of the playtesting pool for this expansion and we missed a bunch. Part was due to an extremely compressed schedule, and part because our Decipher playtest coordinators were working tight production schedules on both Trek and LOTR expansions at the same time.

I am still surprised there weren't more problems with HA or TMP expansions.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Se7enofMine wrote:I'll admit I'm not sure why this is banned. The draw mechanic is nice but it doesnt seem SO overly powerful to me.

or

First, we are talking about sherlock. And combine him with Watson and you can draw through your whole deck in no time flat.
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Just leave him on the list. You want to play him go play Open. CC's Errata team makes horrible errata's no offense. :thumbsdown:

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a shi[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I won't be available Saturday the 27th. Have other[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]