This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By jtkirk86
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hello,

I am not sure if there is another thread, as when searching around I did not find one, but may have missed it. I have recently printed all the cards from the expansions making up the TNG block except for the 'core cards'. I read that the core replaced homefront 1-4 or something like that. I am trying to make a binder of all the cards available in block to make it easy to look through and build a deck from there. Is there an easy collection somewhere that I can print, like i was able to for each of the virtual expansions?

Thanks for any assistance you all can offer.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
jtkirk86 wrote:Hello,

I am not sure if there is another thread, as when searching around I did not find one, but may have missed it. I have recently printed all the cards from the expansions making up the TNG block except for the 'core cards'. I read that the core replaced homefront 1-4 or something like that. I am trying to make a binder of all the cards available in block to make it easy to look through and build a deck from there. Is there an easy collection somewhere that I can print, like i was able to for each of the virtual expansions?

Thanks for any assistance you all can offer.
Not really. The core list changes with each block, so anything you print now will change significantly -- but not completely -- within about 12 months. This was one of the advantages of moving to a Block Core model: the CC used to have to do a "reprint" set at the start of each Block (the "supplemental" sets), and now it simply declares that certain cards are considered Block legal.

For the long term, the best thing to do is probably to just print copies of Homefronts I-VI (nearly all of which are more or less permanently in Block), then take a look at any new cards that show up with each new Block.

Does that help? I know it's not quite the answer you were looking for.

By jtkirk86
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Thank you for the response. This is actually very helpful. I had made a custom deck online with the cards from the current list, but I was hoping to do TNG Block, and did not realize that the core block changes with each set.

I will print out Homefront I-VI and the relevant block expansions and just use that. :-) thank you very much.

I have a group that played this game a ton in the past, mostly doing this to try and reduce the deck building bloat problem, and get them to build decks ha. Virtual Starters plus block cards should help. Might use the pack generator at some point and do a draft.
 -  
Community Contributor
jtkirk86 wrote:Thank you for the response. This is actually very helpful. I had made a custom deck online with the cards from the current list, but I was hoping to do TNG Block, and did not realize that the core block changes with each set.

I will print out Homefront I-VI and the relevant block expansions and just use that. :-) thank you very much.

I have a group that played this game a ton in the past, mostly doing this to try and reduce the deck building bloat problem, and get them to build decks ha. Virtual Starters plus block cards should help. Might use the pack generator at some point and do a draft.
Oh, if you're doing specifically TNG Block, that predates the Block Core List, and I can tell you exactly which sets were legal in that block, and you can print them out. It'll be just like 2013 again:

Homefront IV
Homefront III
Homefront II
Homefront I
The Sky's The Limit
Energize
The Next Generation
The Next Generation: Supplemental
(here come the weird ones)
Resistance Is Futile
Shades of Gray (some really good ones in here, though)
BaH!
Straight and Steady
Life From Lifelessness

That was it -- no more, no less, no core.

I actually ran a [22] TNG Block deck back in the day, because Straight and Steady was legal. It was not good! https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... eckID=6443

By jtkirk86
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Oh wow thank you. That is perfect. You happen to know what was legal during the ds9 block?

We will hopefully move on to that eventually.

Thanks again. I love this game and hope to reignite the joy for it in my group. We spent years playing first edition, moved on to second then boardgames and RPGs. Currently playing Star Trek Adventures RPG which is fantastic if you are into that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
jtkirk86 wrote:Thank you for the response. This is actually very helpful. I had made a custom deck online with the cards from the current list, but I was hoping to do TNG Block, and did not realize that the core block changes with each set.

Oh, if you're doing specifically TNG Block, that predates the Block Core List, and I can tell you exactly which sets were legal in that block, and you can print them out. It'll be just like 2013 again:

Homefront IV
Homefront III
Homefront II
Homefront I
The Sky's The Limit
Energize
The Next Generation
(here come the weird ones)
Resistance Is Futile
Shades of Gray (some really good ones in here, though)
BaH!
Straight and Steady
Life From Lifelessness

That was it -- no more, no less, no core.

I actually ran a [22] TNG Block deck back in the day, because Straight and Steady was legal. It was not good! https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... eckID=6443

^^^^^^^
Those were the days.

2013 was a good year for 1e.
 -  
Community Contributor
jtkirk86 wrote:Oh wow thank you. That is perfect. You happen to know what was legal during the ds9 block? We will hopefully move on to that eventually.
Of course! Problem during DS9 Block was that TNG cards still won most of thr time. That might be different now with all the various errata and boosts -- but unclear!

Homefront VI
Homefront V
Homefront IV
Homefront III
Homefront II
Homefront I
The Sky's The Limit
Energize
The Next Generation
Emissary
Emissary: Supplemental
Warp Pack: Emissary
The Maquis
The Gamma Quadrant

Basically, the weird stuff rotated out and DS9 rotated in, plus they added two more Homefronts.

Still, if I were you, I would keep Bah! In the block anyway, regardless of the historical inaccuracy; Tactics made Block play a lot more interesting.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Engage
 -  
Community Contributor
Yep, I meant Engage. Whoops!
 -  
Community Contributor
winterflames wrote:Didn't they add a set retroactively to tng block?

Edit: found it!
Oh, that's true! Coming of Age is a very very good set to include in your TNG Block, now that Derek mentions it. It makes certain things flow a lot smoother.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
winterflames wrote:Didn't they add a set retroactively to tng block?

Edit: found it!
They did, but only if you're playing ONLY TNG block - without the DS9 or Life from Lifelessness blocks carried along if you're playing a "historically accurate" block game.

It was supposed to become a permanent format, but it never got programmed into the system (despite my numerous requests).

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
OKCoyote wrote:It was supposed to become a permanent format, but it never got programmed into the system (despite my numerous requests).
The Coming of Age PDF even has a dead link to https://www.trekcc.org/1e/tng-block.

By jtkirk86
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for all the replies. I have a set of these expansions printed now, still have to sleeve some and put them in the binder. Then I can schedule a session. Cannot wait. :-)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]