This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I suggest you play borg yourself and learn its weaknesses. You have to dedicate a lot and still have luck to blow a ship turn2. Thats not reliable. have a staffed cube t2 is already kinda lucky and then he has to reach you with a range of 6. why didnt you run away?
Besides every Battledeck is kinda imbalanced against solver.

also, thats what you get when you nerf solverborg into oblivion for no relevant reasons.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:I suggest you play borg yourself and learn its weaknesses. You have to dedicate a lot and still have luck to blow a ship turn2. Thats not reliable.
Besides every Battledeck is kinda imbalanced against solver.
Q! :) Nice to see you here again. :thumbsup: 8)

Also, I forgot to add this topic to my personal list of Borg topics. (While I made that mostly for myself, I hope other (novice, like me?) [BO] players can use it too, to find interesting/educational threads in this forum. :) )

The reason for the omission is probably, that I don't see myself playing AQ-only [Bor] Battle soon; but that's no reason not to include it in my thread repository. Rectified.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:Q! :) Nice to see you here again. :thumbsup: 8)
my windows got corrupted and setting up my system again i lost all passwords. magically firefox somehow found its old configuration again and so im back :D
still sad my deck got unplayable :(

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:my windows got corrupted and setting up my system again i lost all passwords. magically firefox somehow found its old configuration again
and so im back :D
Well spoken. I like Terminator (or any other cool and/or corny) quotes (whether unintended or not). 8) <-- sunglasses NOT a coincidence! :lol:
still sad my deck got unplayable :(
That always sucks. You know my solution for it (still going strong Traditional; except for my 2e deck, which I haven't been able to test/play with yet) -- but Traditional isn't for everybody, of course.

Hmm :shifty: Maybe if I get Lackey up and running (which haven't, so far) I could play online with that deck... :wink: One day, one day... :roll:

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
Spectre9 wrote:Battle Borg will always be a "great meta read" until everybody is playing it because it's the best deck in the format.

Show me decks that beat Battle Borg. Keep in mind a battle Borg deck can still win in 6 turns even if it doesn't blow you up.
Any good midrange solved with things like ablative armour teched in. Bajorian’s have always had a good match up vrs borg imo. See any of my many bajor decks.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
Spectre9 wrote: Borg can dial up their weapons on command through Awaken which I feel is overpowered in itself but just 1 of the many tools Borg have at their disposal. When you don't have to draw into the stuff you need for the situation it's a big speed advantage.
Just a minor point but they can not use awaken to get weapon drones, unless you attack them first, while they can still DL drones through various methods, awaken will not easily get red drones, so it is a little bit harder to pump weapons up to beat ablative armor.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Worf Son of Mogh wrote:
Spectre9 wrote: Borg can dial up their weapons on command through Awaken which I feel is overpowered in itself but just 1 of the many tools Borg have at their disposal. When you don't have to draw into the stuff you need for the situation it's a big speed advantage.
Just a minor point but they can not use awaken to get weapon drones, unless you attack them first, while they can still DL drones through various methods, awaken will not easily get red drones, so it is a little bit harder to pump weapons up to beat ablative armor.
You're technically correct (the best kind of correct!) But it's not hard regardless. Download 2 with We Are the Borg and run FC Queen and convert your New Arrivals, WatB, and End of Turn draws and you can still crank up pretty fast even without breaking New Arrivals.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:All those arguments are flimsy.

No tech works against a 30 weapons cube on turn 2.

Eliminate Starship can be downloaded over and over. Borg can chase you to any quadrant.
How are you facing a staffed cube on turn 2 starting in a different quadrant? Honest question bc I cannot figure it out.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Resistance-is-futile wrote:
Battle Borg is not that strong. It’s slow. It’s easially defendable.
1. Homeworld stratagema
2. Genesis effect
3. As armus mentioned battle bridge evasive maneuvers and space dock
4. As someone else mentioned hidden fighters landable ships
5. Full como shuttle drops for delta feds
6. Dominion slice em up and destroy

There’s lots of great advise here how to deal with Borg :)
As someone who has recently returned and is playing catchup, could I get some links to the decks you are talking about...not sure at all what they are.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote:As someone who has recently returned and is playing catchup, could I get some links to the decks you are talking about...not sure at all what they are.
I can't say I have a lot of knowledge about current decks (but others are sure to chime in). However, given your interest in [BO] , this topic may be worth your while.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
stressedoutatumc wrote:
Resistance-is-futile wrote:
Battle Borg is not that strong. It’s slow. It’s easially defendable.
1. Homeworld Strategema
2. The Genesis Effect
3. As armus mentioned battle bridge Evasive Maneuvers and Spacedock
4. As someone else mentioned Hidden Fighters landable ships
5. Full Complement of Shuttles drops for delta feds
6. Dominion slice em up and destroy

There’s lots of great advise here how to deal with Borg :)
As someone who has recently returned and is playing catchup, could I get some links to the decks you are talking about...not sure at all what they are.
The tournament and deck that started this thread.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote:
Spectre9 wrote:All those arguments are flimsy.

No tech works against a 30 weapons cube on turn 2.

Eliminate Starship can be downloaded over and over. Borg can chase you to any quadrant.
How are you facing a staffed cube on turn 2 starting in a different quadrant? Honest question bc I cannot figure it out.
Not too difficult, could even do it turn 1 with the right draw.

Seeds needed
They Will Be Coming (Downloads Locutus' Borg Cube)
New Arrivals/Kolinahr
Construct Starship
Transwarp Network Gateway (Seed at end of opponent's non-alpha spaceline)
Obelisk of Masaka
Many Nebula missions.

If you want to do it turn 1:
Tribunal of Q

Turn 1
Card play Borg Queen (Shades of Gray).
Free play either a ❖ with New Arrivals or a unique with Kolinahr.
Free play a ❖ with They Will Be Coming.
Download We Are the Borg with Borg Queen to download 2 [SCD] drones, one of which is Seven of Nine.

Ship is now staffed - Seven fills [SCC] , [SCD] , [SCN] ; Queen covers [SCN] , other 3 provide [Bor] .

If your ship is not a nebula mission, move to one.

Turn 2
At start of turn persona swap to First Contact Borg Queen.
Use card play to download Transwarp Hub to the mission you're at with Construct Starship and Seven's ENGINEER, discarding the objective.
Download Masaka Transformations with your Obelisk of Masaka and convert the first draw to a download of A Change of Plans, which in turn downloads Eliminate Starship/Assimilate Species.
Move to your opponent's quadrant and go attacking.

Doing it turn 1!
That should be pretty consistent, if you build your deck for it. If you want to do it on Turn 1, it is a little less consistent.
You'll want to get Gowron of Borg with Kolinahr and Two of Nineteen with They Will Be Coming, you can use your Obelisk of Masaka to download Masaka Transformations, convert the first draw to a Transwarp Network Gateway to your ship's location, a Q the Referee, and another [Ref] card either to hand or table. Cycle the second [Ref] card you got to download Transwarp Network Gateway to move to your opponent's quadrant and attack.

Come to think of it, doing it first turn is probably easier to pull off seeding outposts rather than They Will Be Coming. Seed Unicomplex, Transwarp Hub, and Spacedoor instead of They Will Be Coming. Card play gets Borg Tactical Cube, free play with Kolinahr, free play with New Arrivals, free play Queen off Unicomplex and a free [SCD] with the Cube. We are the Borg for Seven of Nineand your sixth crew member.

I suppose all of that can be avoided too, if you just drop a staffed Borg Scout Vessel with the required personnel as your card play turn 1 as well.
Last edited by 9of24 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I wonder how you get Kolinahr to work in a borgdeck as it gets dicarded immediately

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:I wonder how you get Kolinahr to work in a borgdeck as it gets dicarded immediately
Yeah but you still get that first free play, so you can still get staffed up super quick.

I get it, I'm just not sure it's worth it.

But then again I'm more of a solver Borg player than a battle Borg player.
Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]

New Tribbles are coming! Look busy! https://www.t[…]

You will need one more thing for this - compatibil[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]