This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Chief Financial Officer
 - Chief Financial Officer
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
Take my game against Ken last Sunday....
Bajoran v Bajoran
3 duped missions

Early on Ken manages to lock down Bajor with resources , great play
Fails to see my warship moving towards Baku homeworld fails to cloak - mistake :)
I kill ruafo then blow up injector

I’ll also echo what I’ve heard over the years: 1E is less about making a perfect deck as it is not making mistakes
A great 1e player is aware of the whole game state and thinks 2 turns ahead

Often times when you have two great players playing with two solid built decks... winner sometimes is decided by who makes less mistakes

Lastly:

Take my match vs the kaiser in Vienna:
I made to many mistakes that game that could have altered the game state I’d i played differently:
1. Computer crashed wrong time guessing he didn’t draw his enterprise which he did... wastes
2. Wasting time chasing his ship over vs solving ... space line favored him too over interaction
3. Not using temper advancements

Could also be it was 1230am but point still stands when two great players face off it’ll come down to misplays mistakes and poor decision make that decides a winner

Battle Borg is not that strong. It’s slow. It’s easially defendable.
1. Homeworld stratagema
2. Genesis effect
3. As armus mentioned battle bridge evasive maneuvers and space dock
4. As someone else mentioned hidden fighters landable ships
5. Full como shuttle drops for delta feds
6. Dominion slice em up and destroy

There’s lots of great advise here how to deal with Borg :)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Let's not play the blame game here. OP says he feels Battle Borg are too strong. It's good to discuss that, but don't venture into attacking the people who have those feelings.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:Let's not play the blame game here. OP says he feels Battle Borg are too strong. It's good to discuss that, but don't venture into attacking the people who have those feelings.
Who's attacking anybody? All I see is three pages of substantive discussion on the merits of OP's statement.

Speaking for myself, I could have responded with "no it's not, you're wrong" but that would be neither helpful nor constructive.

Instead, I disagreed with OP's statement, stated my reasons why, and offered solutions that would assist him in that matchup next time. In response I was called patronizing.

I still disagree that battle Borg are overpowered, and I'm not going to apologize for that.

OP is entitled to his opinion, but so are the rest of us.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Let's not play the blame game here. OP says he feels Battle Borg are too strong. It's good to discuss that, but don't venture into attacking the people who have those feelings.
No one is blaming anyone. But the OP isnt arguing in good faith.

As I say, he raised an issue. A few of us responded to potential ways to get around the issue .. and they have been dismissed as patronizing.

Its no way to have a productive conversation.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I've been smashed by this deck no matter what I do and according to tournament reports the same thing is happening to other players way more experienced than I am.

I don't understand why people want to defend it so vehemently.

My argument isn't that "it's unbeatable" my argument is "to beat it you need to be an absolute pro, with the best deck on a good day". That to me isn't fair.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would assert that there is one piece of borg tech that is incredibly OP that stupid multiplexor drone. You throw the equivilant of that into any other CCG and watch how fast it gets banned
Chief Financial Officer
 - Chief Financial Officer
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
I would disagree

Where every other affiliation can put swarms of ships together
For Borg, they don’t use armada
They use one cube that functions for variety of reasons

Typically one doesn’t attack a cube unless you can blow it up in one pass then use
Space dock to repair

Or

Your battling just to ping them and stop a probe

Mumtiplexor honestly doesn’t really mean much imo
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Resistance-is-futile wrote: Mumtiplexor honestly doesn’t really mean much imo
The multiplexor is what you use to rattlesnake that opponent counting WEAPONS and thinking "hmm, might be worth sacrificing a ship to take out that cube".

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:I don't understand why people want to defend it so vehemently.
My post (at least) was not defending the Borg deck, and for now I'm still not sure whether it's over the curve or not (although my "null hypothesis" to whether X is broken is generally "no.")

I'm still curious about your answer to my question. Borg is known to be a tough matchup for a Fed solver, so when you were building your deck presumably you thought about what you would do against a Borg opponent (cards in the deck? seed/play strategies? just hope they don't show up?). What was your plan against Borg, and where did it fall short of stopping Jeremy?

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I apologize for the patronizing comment.

It was obviously over the top but designed to stir up discussion and to show that I don't think the problem can be solved by including a few anti-battle cards into your deck.

Most of the decks that lost to battle Borg in the online masters already had plenty of anti-battle tech in them. Played by players better than me. They still lost because you're at a big disadvantage when you're boxed into a corner by an overwhelming Borg cube on turn 2.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Just do the opposite of what Americans do and bring a knifeto a gun fight

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Rachmaninoff wrote:
Spectre9 wrote:I don't understand why people want to defend it so vehemently.
My post (at least) was not defending the Borg deck, and for now I'm still not sure whether it's over the curve or not (although my "null hypothesis" to whether X is broken is generally "no.")

I'm still curious about your answer to my question. Borg is known to be a tough matchup for a Fed solver, so when you were building your deck presumably you thought about what you would do against a Borg opponent (cards in the deck? seed/play strategies? just hope they don't show up?). What was your plan against Borg, and where did it fall short of stopping Jeremy?
Had Ablative Armor in the draw deck and although I didn't see it it wouldn't help against a cube with over 26 weapons.

Borg can dial up their weapons on command through Awaken which I feel is overpowered in itself but just 1 of the many tools Borg have at their disposal. When you don't have to draw into the stuff you need for the situation it's a big speed advantage.

I aslo had Emergency Evacuation. Not that it would help me because I have to leave my base to go get the escape pod.

When I was blown up I didn't think Borg could get to me but he downloaded a Transwarp Hub out of nowhere and I was dead. This is also a problem for others, you just don't know how far the Borg can move to kill you, they have so much mobility now you're never safe.

Speed/Mobility/Power/Consistency Borg has it all.

People are saying I'm a bad player or building my deck poorly well yes maybe I can accept that but I can't accept that for everybody that was wiped out by Kris and Jeremy in the 2 recent tournaments obliterated by battle Borg.

I don't think there is a deck that has as comparable a favorable match up vs battle Borg that battle Borg does against speed solver. Some people seem to hint that there is but I'm yet to be convinced.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Borg might be over the curve currently, but I don't think they are "way over", or over powered. I think the heart of the issue may be that not only are Borg "good", but that due to the learning curve they are normally only piloted by experienced players.

So if someone sits down opposite an aggressive Borg deck they might be at a double disadvantage: an above-average player with an above average deck. Even many experienced players fumble against this match up as not all experienced players are experienced Borg players. Naill's game was decided by a single misplay that might have doomed him against any non-fed deck*. I know I have made an nearly identical mistake and lost for the same reason.

*And I would describe him as an experienced player, and an experienced Borg player.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Spectre9 wrote: I don't understand why people want to defend it so vehemently.
Because it's not uncommon for anything that hurts a speed solver to get nerfed as "too good", and that's partly why the meta has been dominated by solvers that trade resiliency for more speed.

And saying "hey, this Borg battle deck beat four human decks and a fifth where they only stocked one ship" leads me to answer "I'd be amazed if it didn't", not "holy hell we gotta fix this".

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]