This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. Today is a question about logistics, but if you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

Today is a question for all of you that can help guide me in planning out the future of First Edition. I've been working on a detailed set of plans to outline the 2-year, 5-year, 10-year, and 20-year futures of the game. The further forward in time, the more nebulous the plan, but I'm still keeping my eye on the future. Part of that is making a list of major milestones to celebrate, and I want your suggestions and advice.

What upcoming milestones need celebration?

What do I mean by milestones? Well, the recent 25th birthday of the game is one. Back in 2011, we celebrated the 15th anniversary of the First Contact movie with Resistance is Futile. These can be real-world milestones, like an actor's birthday, or the 10th/20th/25th/etc. anniversary of a favorite story or event. Or, they can be in universe milestones, like the Bell Riots. But if they're going to happen in the next 2-20 years, and you'd like to see the CC do something about them, now's your time to speak up!

Some events will be celebrated by a special expansion, usually a small boutique like Star Trek 50. But maybe a big, momentous event might time out well to get a full expansion around it. Others might be small enough to just do a promo series or a special one-off card. In any case, what upcoming milestones do you think need celebration? Sound off, and in a few years we might just be announcing a product based on your idea.

Next week is Thanksgiving in the United States, and I wanted to take a moment and tell you all how much you mean to me. Being part of this community of 1E is one of the most satisfying and rewarding things I've done, and I'm grateful to be able to serve you. If you celebrate Thanksgiving, enjoy! I'll be back post-turkey next week with a new question for you to ponder.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote:2024 - the Bell Riots expansion
Expansion Nothing! If Worlds 2024 isn't that weekend in San Francisco, we've failed as an organization.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'd say just about any of the "big" numbers work. 10/15/20/25 year anniversaries.

Or for much beloved actors a single card - it can just be AI - for a large birthday (60, 70, etc). Especially birthday's for the deceased. Things for James Doohan, Leonard Nimoy, etc.

Marking any 'real world' things seems the most interesting to me though. The Bell Riots, as already mentioned. Or, since we won't be doing the "new" things in order to keep a low profile: maybe some Picard things for when Star Trek: Picard debuts? 1E doesn't have a Vinter Picard yet... And there is only one persona of Locutus...

:twocents:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
doing actor anniversaries seems pointless to me, there are so many so there will be big birthdays all the time.

if you happen to have a card ready thats appropriate for such a release, then fine. but dont go out of your way for milestones except for the big ones (like the milestones of the franchise or the game).

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
You don't think it's worth doing some thing next march for what would have been James Doohan's 100th birthday?

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote:You don't think it's worth doing some thing next march for what would have been James Doohan's 100th birthday?
I think there can be some merit in recognizing something like a 100th anniversary of birth.
Maybe we figure out what his families preferred charity is, and create a fundraiser for that charity. Everybody that donates $10 towards it is sent a special Scotty AI Promo from the game of their choice. Something like that...

Basically, individual actor anniversaries don't need full sets. One-off promos, maybe, if it's a big enough anniversary (like 100th). But aside from that, keep the special event sets towards big show anniversaries, or in-show dates.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I think we should only recognize anniversaries if either:

(a) it's a truly special, once-in-a-lifetime anniversary -- e.g. the franchise's 50th, the day of the Bell Riots, etc.

(b) We already have something in mind and are just looking for an excuse to do it.

Otherwise, we have "major" anniversaries pretty much constantly. This is a chart of just major five-year anniversaries for just live-action series under the Decipher license:
2010 - VOY 15
2011 - TOS 45 / ENT 10
2012 - TNG 25
2013 - DS9 20
2015 - VOY 20
2016 - TOS 50 / ENT 15
2017 - TNG 30
2018 - DS9 25
2020 - VOY 20
2021 - TOS 55 / ENT 20
2022 - TNG 35
2023 - DS9 30
It's practically wall-to-wall.

Add in "game" anniversaries and you can fill in the off-years; 1E started in 1994, and so celebrates "major" anniversaries in 2014, 2019, and 2024.

Add in movies and it's literally two "major" anniversaries every year.

Add in birthdays (or deathdays) of major actors / other people involved in Trek and our production capacity will be overwhelmed by the commemorative calendar.

I have no problem with a set like Resistance Is Futile, because my sense is that they were always planning to do a Borg set and then just used the FC 15th as a thematic and marketing "hook" to give the set more coherence. But once we start doing things just because the calendar says we should, it turns into a firehose real quick.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hasn't anybody mentioned the 'real' First Contact date yet? :? I for one, plan on playing a tourney in the old people's home on April 5th, 2063. Perhaps get a few new players going. 8) If I'm still alive and remember any of my decks' mechanics! :lol: ... Nope, prolly not. But we can hope and dream of a Next Generation by then. :wink:

For the rest, I was holding off -- but now Wowbagger struck home for me. Don't rush things because of an anniversary, and don't make it feel forced, nor commonplace.

Conversely, it might be possible to go the other way around.

For each set, launched in its own time, try to find an event -- big OR small -- and (in)formally(?) dedicate the set to it.

Like, say you're doing a set on The Traveler. And it turns out that Wil Wheaton's dog had puppies that week, 2 years ago. (Just a very random example.) Dedicate the set to that!

(On the other hand, it has to be done with some care, to remain in keeping with the formal atmosphere of the site and game state, of course. I love my example but it may be a bit over the top.)

It's fun, and might help celebrate (even) more little things. The big ones will be dealt with, no matter what -- we can safely let CBS and the official Trek site handle that.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:
Hasn't anybody mentioned the 'real' First Contact date yet? :? I for one, plan on playing a tourney in the old people's home on April 5th, 2063. Perhaps get a few new players going. 8) If I'm still alive and remember any of my decks' mechanics! :lol: ... Nope, prolly not. But we can hope and dream of a Next Generation by then. :wink:
For the rest, I was holding off -- but now Wowbagger struck home for me. Don't rush things because of an anniversary, and don't make it feel forced, nor commonplace.
Conversely, it might be possible to go the other way around.

For each set, launched in its own time, try to find an event -- big OR small -- and (in)formally(?) dedicate the set to it.

Like, say you're doing a set on The Traveler. And it turns out that Wil Wheaton's dog had puppies that week, 2 years ago. (Just a very random example.) Dedicate the set to that!

(On the other hand, it has to be done with some care, to remain in keeping with the formal atmosphere of the site and game state, of course. I love my example but it may be a bit over the top.)

It's fun, and might help celebrate (even) more little things. The big ones will be dealt with, no matter what -- we can safely let CBS and the official Trek site handle that.
Yeah, I kinda of assumed we were collating a list of excuses so that when something cool was ready we could slot it in if it didn't already have a home....

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
STCCG was introduced in 1994. What about 2019? (i.e. this year) Did I miss anything?

Otherwise, as much as I want milestones... There´s too many of them to celebrate them all.

On the other hand - that doesnt mean we cant celebrate ANY of those.

I like the idea of either doing an AI of existing cards for big anniversaries of the main cast (of the different series) OR doing promo cards for the same reason. it doesnt always have to be a complete set.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dunnagh wrote:STCCG was introduced in 1994. What about 2019? (i.e. this year) Did I miss anything?

Otherwise, as much as I want milestones... There´s too many of them to celebrate them all.

I like the idea of either doing an AI of existing cards for big anniversaries of the main cast (of the different series) OR doing promo cards for the same reason. it doesnt always have to be a complete set.
I agree here.

2019 HAS to be celebrated - and there's not much of it left (fingers crossed for a lovely Thanksgiving gift this weekend.... :)
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
dragoncymru wrote:
Dunnagh wrote:STCCG was introduced in 1994. What about 2019? (i.e. this year) Did I miss anything?

I agree here.

2019 HAS to be celebrated - and there's not much of it left (fingers crossed for a lovely Thanksgiving gift this weekend.... :)
Though, the game released in November 1994, so there's still more than 90% of its first year of release left to celebrate.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]