This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
haha yeah the game definitely has the "zoning out" part to it. like im just ignoring what my opponent is doing most of the time, because i dont know all the cards and im too lazy reading his 20 seedcards and all his played cards. just hope he doesnt cheat and i can assemble my solving team faster lol.
lately playing latok i was like damn, i should have uxbridged that event 4? turns earlier before he played a rrd on it :x

it gets better once you know all the cards though.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:haha yeah the game definitely has the "zoning out" part to it. like im just ignoring what my opponent is doing most of the time, because i dont know all the cards and im too lazy reading his 20 seedcards and all his played cards. just hope he doesnt cheat and i can assemble my solving team faster lol.
lately playing latok i was like damn, i should have uxbridged that event 4? turns earlier before he played a rrd on it :x

it gets better once you know all the cards though.
It gets better. It never goes away. I definitely still get "the trance" and I definitely still spend most of my opponents' turns planning my own, even though I know every verb and most nouns in the game by sight.

If I'm playing online, and my opponent is playing something with a lot of resource farming but low interaction (like Nors or Borg or [22] Klingons), I honestly (True Confessions With James Heaney here) sometimes just alt-tab over to read the news until it sounds like something is actually happening. I admit (even though I quite enjoy playing with Nors and Borg and probably 22 Klingons) that these are not the moments where I feel 1E really shines.

I won't go through everything in Smiley's list point-by-point to highlight everything I agree/disagree with, but let it suffice to say that I agree with a lot, and, even the parts where I don't, I'm grateful for the nice big itemized list. I'm confident I'll be referring back to this list in the future.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Pants o.t. Tal Shiar wrote:This discussion of first-turn advantage is interesting, but could it be split to a new thread?
Done. Let me or another mod know if there's a post here which should go there or vice versa.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Utilize The Dojo’s Discord Server in some way to reach a user base that might be TrekCC adverse.

It’s important to remember that The Dojo’s membership is composed of users from almost all of the Trek social media groups from around the internet. Surely, if you spark the interest of someone, they’ll carry that enthusiasm to where they originated from.

At this point, I believe the entire TrekCC boards are included in its membership so it should be that hard to do.

Also, The Dojo has ran 18 monthly casual leagues to date promoting kitchen table and online pick up games. Perhaps there is something that can be done to promote those casual games?

TK

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
bosskamiura wrote:to promote those casual games

TK
How about friendly online matches affecting rating? of course with lower effect, then regular tournaments or high level tournaments. maybe with a limit of 3 rated friendly matches per player per month.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i want to add a simple thing:

PLAY the f** game and be present on the discord.

Sometimes it took me 2 weeks to find an opponent and there is almost never anyone available to play.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Ensign Q wrote:i want to add a simple thing:

PLAY the f** game and be present on the discord.

Sometimes it took me 2 weeks to find an opponent and there is almost never anyone available to play.
:thumbsup:

My name is Sexecutioner and I have smashed in dozens of games over the past few months through Discord.

By Daimyoshi (Richard Steele)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I am currently wrestling with getting people in my Star Trek group to play. Currently the card pool is based out of my spares. Hoping it works out well.

Current Planning points:

Alpha Quadrant cards only to Start
Single faction and Non-aligned
No side decks
Limited Doorways
No Borg Affiliation

Points being considered:

No Objectives
No Incidents

House Rule for Play Speed up:

Games Start with a Red alert in play for all.

I am giving them there decks and a swipe at my spares. Currently I am getting a collection on Friday 3200 cards. I might manged some boxes that hopefully will come on time.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Welcome aboard!

Those look like good points to start at. What sets are in your collection? I ask as Continuing Mission is generally considered a nice starting point, especially as most collectors/returning players have a huge stack of white border premiere laying around...

By Daimyoshi (Richard Steele)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
What is Cheap mostly, so there a ton of premiere of course, Mirror Mirror, Troubles with Tribbles, Rules of Accusation, and a smattering of other sets like DS9, Voyager, etc.

As an aside it would be nice if the header had a nice place to reference where the rule books actually are. They are horrible difficult to find without stumbling across a link.

By rabyte
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Sorry for digging this up...

As a new player myself, what I would love to see is more details about how each card works in the card database. This is where I would look for it. Instead I have to search the forum or start a new thread. I am sure other beginners have the same questions over and over again. (I feel like I have questions to almost every card :shifty: ).
To show you what I am talking about, this is an example how it is done for another game called Android Netrunner. There are rule clarifications right below the card AND also some discussions/reviews about good combos and strategies.

Just my :twocents:

By phaserihardlyknowher (Ben Daeuber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
rabyte wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:57 am Sorry for digging this up...

As a new player myself, what I would love to see is more details about how each card works in the card database. This is where I would look for it. Instead I have to search the forum or start a new thread. I am sure other beginners have the same questions over and over again. (I feel like I have questions to almost every card :shifty: ).
To show you what I am talking about, this is an example how it is done for another game called Android Netrunner. There are rule clarifications right below the card AND also some discussions/reviews about good combos and strategies.

Hello fellow Netrunner player. It would be nice to have the glossary link for cards that have rulings on them, and I think for some there are? But it's not totally consistent if so.

I think there are some cards that might benefit from a Netrunnerdb/Arkhamdb style review and discussion, especially deck engines, referees, and incident/objective strategy cards. However, the sheer volume makes it difficult to review many cards in a meaningful way. Netrunner's design space is more limited than 1e, in many ways (though in some ways -- like player interaction -- it's much wider), which makes it difficult to review something like a mission or personnel. A mission might play quite differently depending on affiliation, deck type, outpost placement, etc, etc. In this sense I feel the decks are a better insight into how the card is used, especially if people are posting commentary on their decks.

I've also noticed a pretty sharp drop off in reviews on netrunnerdb as the game wound down, though perhaps that's picked up again after a few NISEI sets?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
rabyte wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:57 am Sorry for digging this up...

Thanks for this. It is something I am working on.

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a shi[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I won't be available Saturday the 27th. Have other[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]