This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Misdirection

if my opponent hits two of these, do they both have an effect or is that cumulative rule so only one has an effect?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Misdirection

if my opponent hits two of these, do they both have an effect or is that cumulative rule so only one has an effect?
I would think the Cumulative Rule would apply.

OTOH, Interphasic Plasma Creatures explicitly says it's not cumulative

OTOOH, that's a PAQ card and I don't remember if the Cumulative Rule was a thing in 1995.

I'm sticking with my original answer.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I would say it is not cumulative. Unlike Interphasic Plasma Creatures, which is also a dilemma, Misdirection says play on table as an Event. Some PAQ era events specifically said (cumulative). Two examples that were errated, and no longer say cumulative are Metaphasic Shields and Nutational Shields; however Bynars Weapon Enhancement had cumulative both before and after errata.

I will, however, concede that all 3 other these examples said plays on table before the errata and plays on ship after the errata.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
Takket wrote:Misdirection

OTOH, Interphasic Plasma Creatures explicitly says it's not cumulative. OTOOH, that's a PAQ card and I don't remember if the Cumulative Rule was a thing in 1995.
As the Rulebook notes:
Originally, all cards in the Star Trek: CCG were cumulative by default, so all cards that were not cumulative had to be marked. This rule changed in 1999, but the now-redundant "Not cumulative" gametext remains on many pre-1999 cards.
Removing that text from cards where it is now redundant would be a nice cleanup project, but, like the Great Outposts Overhaul of August 2000, it would take quite a few resources.

Your original answer is correct.

If two copies of Misdirection are on the table, then you have multiple copies of the same card (Misdirection) having the same effect (CUNNING -2) on the same targets (your personnel present with opponent's infiltrator) at the same time (continuously). The cumulative rule kicks in when multiple copies of the same card have the same effect on the same target at the same time, so only the first copy has an effect.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I may be worth noting though that, if you want the -2 CUNNING bad enough, you opponent now needs needs two event removing cards to deal with it (i.e. Kevin, Quinn, etc.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Iron Prime wrote:I may be worth noting though that, if you want the -2 CUNNING bad enough, you opponent now needs needs two event removing cards to deal with it (i.e. Kevin, Quinn, etc.)
Touche', but given that you can only seed the dilemma 2x in OTF, the requirement of the extra Kevin/Kevin:C/Quinn is probably not worth seeding a second copy. OTH, seeding a 2nd copy does increase the odds of the effect landing, or possibly landing a second time later in the game.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
so Metaphasic Shields and Nutational shields are no longer cumulative?

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah I didn't think it was cumulative. Even at -2 cunning i was thinking this card would be a real S.O.B with Clan People. Essentially need 5 people with cunning of 10 to get past clan people. even with lower decks this could be tough for some affiliations.

if cumulative and -4 on misdirection, now i need 5 people of cunning 12. Yikes.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Ensign Q wrote:so Metaphasic Shields and Nutational shields are no longer cumulative?
Correct, they play on a ship no longer on table. They also only add based on classification not skill. So science and engineer adding equipment no longer apply.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
In short, they got nerfed HARD, but Obsession gives them a chance to escape the binder.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
BCSWowbagger wrote:In short, they got nerfed HARD, but Obsession gives them a chance to escape the binder.
Host Metaphasic Shielding Test, Scientific Diplomacy, and Dr. Reyga at least keep Metaphasic Shields out of the binder for me; but let's face it, are uncommons even getting into the binder anyway?

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i dont see how obsession really helps there, since the card was double nerfed. once for limiting to classification, then again for not being cumulative anymore.

great. seems someone wanted to push his battledeck.

meanwhile bynars stay cumulative. yeah... battledeck..

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:i dont see how obsession really helps there, since the card was double nerfed. once for limiting to classification, then again for not being cumulative anymore.

great. seems someone wanted to push his battledeck.

meanwhile bynars stay cumulative. yeah... battledeck..
Obsession lets it play for free. Generally speaking, cards that play for free are more likely to make ir into decks than cards that don't.

Also, you're missing that the cumulativity on Bynars is baked into Metaphasic shields. Bynars gives you a straight +2. You want more play another Bynars.

Metaphasic Shields gives you +2 per SCIENCE classification personnel. Want more? Play another SCIENCE classification personnel, who by the way can help you solve missions while they're buffing their shields.

It's not so bad as you make it out to be.
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]