This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
It has been proposed to have a central place for all of the "official" updates - Friday Questions, Project Status Updates, and similar. One possible idea for this would be to have a subforum specifically for these types of updates. As an example, anyone could reply to a thread on these forums, but only authorized individuals (staff) could create threads.

What do you think? Is this needed? Or do we just keep posting such things on this forum?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I think an Official Comms forum is a great idea.

Now that I have read some of the below posts about the similarity to articles and centralization concept, I have officially crossed the aisle on this.
Last edited by Professor Scott on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I was an advocate for the spinoff of Rules Questions, because I thought rules questions were smothering discussion in this forum and that people were hesitating to ask rules questions for fear of smothering gameplay discussion. (I think that worked out pretty well.)

But I think that these Official Communications are actually a huge impetus to gameplay discussion. They're not smothering gameplay talk; they're promoting it. Some days, the 1EFQ is the only thing people are talking about in this forum.

So I'm inclined to say that we should keep the Official Communications happening in here rather than spinning off a third forum for them.
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Doesn't that just make them articles? :D
Actually, now that you mention it, something I'd love to see (and I guess could theoretically code if there were support for it) would be new 1E Articles having discussion threads posted in this forum instead of the Article Discussion forum. Let's centralize 1E discussion where everyone is sure to see it!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Actually, now that you mention it, something I'd love to see (and I guess could theoretically code if there were support for it) would be new 1E Articles having discussion threads posted in this forum instead of the Article Discussion forum. Let's centralize 1E discussion where everyone is sure to see it!
I would also like this. Perhaps the existing forum could get a "ghost/link" post to point to it?

-crp
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:
I would also like this. Perhaps the existing forum could get a "ghost/link" post to point to it?

-crp
That's a good idea, and should be possible, with the caveat that I have not actually so much as located the code Maelwys wrote for this.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:

-crp
Probably a bit out of scope, but if we had the ability to point which forum an article goes to, "Article discussion" might become redundant entirely? (Or just becomes "General CC Articles That Don't Apply To Any Games But Are Still Kinda Important So You Should Talk About Them Here If You Want To But No Pressure.")
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
MidnightLich wrote:It has been proposed to have a central place for all of the "official" updates - Friday Questions, Project Status Updates, and similar. One possible idea for this would be to have a subforum specifically for these types of updates. As an example, anyone could reply to a thread on these forums, but only authorized individuals (staff) could create threads.

What do you think? Is this needed? Or do we just keep posting such things on this forum?
Totally unnecessary, IMO. Stickies are fine.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Totally unnecessary, IMO. Stickies are fine.
i agree.

if people have a problem with official communications, its not the lack of a subforum, its the lack of updates.
MidnightLich wrote:

-crp
if your going to do this, then you need to get rid of the insane rule that you need to have an account and be logged in to even view those threads. its just another barrier to engagement that turns off and limits potential engagement.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:It has been proposed to have a central place for all of the "official" updates - Friday Questions, Project Status Updates, and similar. One possible idea for this would be to have a subforum specifically for these types of updates. As an example, anyone could reply to a thread on these forums, but only authorized individuals (staff) could create threads.

Totally unnecessary, IMO. Stickies are fine.
How many "official communications" that were created as stickies can you find in the forum once they've been unstickied?

I am always pushing for things to become Articles first, rather than just forum topics. They're more easily indexed and found later. They generate forum topics for discussion anyway.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
LuthySloan wrote:to supplement the forums...

why not have a real time meeting point for trade and play? (online play)
like discord or seomthing
We do already - The Dojo.

Links are in my signature.

TK
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
bosskamiura wrote:
LuthySloan wrote:to supplement the forums...

why not have a real time meeting point for trade and play? (online play)
like discord or seomthing
We do already - The Dojo.

Links are in my signature.

TK
Is that the official CC discord now? I have a different link.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
This. In fact, both of James' suggestions are good.

Keep the communications here.

Cross post articles to the 1E forum.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]