This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
A followup. After Q Who, will there be more [1E-TNG] [Bor] cards coming up to be released in 2020, or is this going to be it?

Not that I'm aware of, but there are concepts and cards that didn't make the cut that I'd love to explore in the future.
Given production timescales, probably not this year, but the door has now been opened, and there’s plenty of material in Best of Both Worlds for future development.

Like, were some [Bor] cards left in Neutral Zone to expand on the new [Bor] [WC], or were all of them pulled out into this set?

There's a card in The Neutral Zone that [1E-TNG] [Bor] Will find advantageous to use in their decks...
Originally, 8V was meant to stay in The Neutral Zone, but we reshuffled things a bit for space.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
You wrote there is no [1E-TNG] ❖ Cube. Was there ever any discussion to add one?
I think we had a pretty strong ship idea from the start, and it remained largely unchanged throughout.

Right now the only Borg ship that’s [1E-TNG] is Locutus’ Borg Cube (which is from Best of Worlds). Are we going to get another ship? (If yes, I’m assuming it’s the Cube from Q-Who? or Scout Vessel from I, Borg.
I think Charlie’s opening article mentions that a new ship will be coming and you’ll find out all about it on Monday!

Was this designed with They Are Coming in mind or a Borg Outpost? I’m guessing the former so new players don’t have to worry about quadrants.
Primarily They Will Be Coming was our focus, but a DQ based outpost deck using Attention All Hands was another option we asked the playtesters to try.
Last edited by Jono on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This expansion, thus far, seems even more awesome than all others. (I do think that most of the time for each expansion, but... TIB -- This Is Borg.)

There seems to be a UDFKAF! (a Universal Drone Formerly Known As Female.) :wink:

It makes me really sad that I have little time, ATM.
And that I already have two Borg decks.
And moreover, that I decided that I should first build a Vulcan and a Starfleet Virtual deck -- if I ever finish all of the WIPs I still have in the Traditional pool... But this, of course, will be number three. 8)

I think I always thought that System J-25 was in the DQ (was really surprised it didn't have [1E-DQ] icon), but reading on Mem Alpha seems to confirm it isn't.

Also... I must admit that I find the Virtual (and Traditional) set icons to sometimes hit, sometimes miss; this one is definitely a hit! :thumbsup:

Now, for a question...
Our favourite rocker wrote in this post about the ST Borg game. Will you use it? Will you? (And I was inspired by it, to help you make Loc-Q-tus Of Borg. Will you? You will. You must comply. :borg: )
The ST Borg game is set in a Voyager environment which would not be consistent with a Continuing Mission Deck.

Keep it up! :thumbsup: :cheersL:
As you witnessed first hand at World's, I do 'keep it up' :wink:

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Designers...

Which card stressed you out the most during playtesting?

7V probably underwent the most changes to get it right...

The card that became 3V and 11V caused a lot of discussion with Rules. Not really testing, but it was probably the most words exchanged. -crp

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: The ST Borg game is set in a Voyager environment which would not be consistent with a Continuing Mission Deck.
wrong. the vast majority of the game is set in the hours before the battle of wolf 359.

and the borgs as depicted are clearly pre first contact. they are tng style borgs.
Uniforms are Voyager, Set is Voyager, Ayala is one of the extras... it may be set then, but it definitely feels later on...

Also, not a question! Niall - suplex time!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!
68c26d56fc8039bba42738fa8a45fc8e.jpg
68c26d56fc8039bba42738fa8a45fc8e.jpg (26.69 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Assume the winner of this year's World Championship played [Bor].

Did they win with [Bor] [1E-TNG] ? If so, why or why not? (in other words are [Bor] [1E-TNG] tier one? Why or why not?)
Clearly we didn’t design these Borg as “Tier One”, they’re focused on a 3-mission win which isn’t usually a “top tier enough” approach with many decks. But you can’t rule out a solid solver especially when you’re adapting through dilemmas. These Borg are meant to feel like an unrelenting army of the undead - they are the oncoming storm. They will clear those three missions. It’s simply a matter of time...

Time to play more Q/Species 8472 Dilemmas?

If not, are there any cards in this set that would find their way into this hypothetical deck? How many? Which ones?
I could definitely see a TNG Borg / Harness Particle 010 mash up deck definitely working for a fast 2-mission win...

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
Are there any cards that directly work with the J-25 Cube that would encourage a player to choose that ship over Loctus' Borg Cube?

Less staffing icons, plus the ability to Regenerate at [DL] speed makes it a tempting replacement for Loctus' Borg Cube. But if your opponent keeps hitting you with God or V'Ger, it's handy to have in the Tent as back up.

Also note: The Ultimate User prevents downloads of drones :wink:

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I love that the Q Who Borg decks will work without downloading drones...

because its solitair and all (massive) downloading stuff is an NDE. Interaction is more fun. since i also want to build what i consider my best deck possible, i usually use downloads (or hexany or cheese or Delta Quadrant - in the old decipher times). I like that those stuff becomes less good (or in this case not usable at all @drone download).

Guess thats more a "thank you" than a question, but my question would then be:

Will you designer continue such things in future sets? (well actually this is a wish then ;)

I'd like us to. We've all been using downloads and [DL] as a crutch for awhile. It's time to spread our wings a bit. -crp

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'll see you on Lackey with my version of a Q-Who Borg deck...

Also... NOT A QUESTION!

bring it on, im waiting
Attachments:
68c26d56fc8039bba42738fa8a45fc8e.jpg
68c26d56fc8039bba42738fa8a45fc8e.jpg (26.69 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Last edited by Ensign Q on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
A friendly reminder that this is a Q&A thread.

*Avoids self-suplex* Can we please keep this thread questions only?
Yes!

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Eleven of Fourteen:
Is it assumed that the vast majority of [TNG] [Bor] decks will run Lower Decks? Or is it expected that this is there in case a meta pushes for it?
Fear of "God" isn't motivation enough?
We knew from the start that we didn't want to boost their attributes too much. They need to have a weakness.

Relentless:
Why no implant cards? Was this added later due to playtesting or was it included early to limit complexity?
The combination of Ocular Implants and Adapting proved a little too quick in testing...

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
does Borg Scout Vessel (and regular cube) get a [1E-TNG] reprint?
Not at this stage

Definitely an option for the future, though it wouldn't be a reprint. It would have to be a new card. -crp

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
So... there's gotta be an eliminate starship kind of objective with a Wolf 359 picture?
Any new Borg TNG tactic cards?

No Tactic. Looking through the design forum, I do see an Adapt card that didn't make the cut due to space...

And if there isn't, how about a Wolf 359 / Best of Both Worlds Boutique set? Our TNG/DS9 logo Feds could use some help against their new unstoppable enemy.

That would be an ecumenical matter, left for another team...

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Examine Distant Sector ... why oh why is this 40 points? If you're trying to get new players to play the game and/or try their hand at the Borg as an affiliation, how do you think they'll feel about continuing if this brand new mission gets stolen from them? It should be 35 points tops! Barring that as an egregious error at 40 points, why isn't the opponent's side ( requirements of RANGE+WEAPONS+SHIELDS)>50?
There's no requirement for Borg to use Examine Distant Sector. There is another card coming which may give a Borg Player a reason to wish to use it, but they can of course stick to other missions if the danger of mission theft is considered too high, and they don't wish to seed HQ: Defensive Measures to protect it. It's a choice.

The Stats are based around the Ent-D surviving the encounter (admitedly with Q's assistance) so any ship wishing to survive it would need equivalently high attributes - if not higher.

Span 6 on a mission is a HUGE thing. There are only two other missions with such a span. Damage/RANGE reduction, if done right, can strand a few ships if caught off guard. There needs to be a price for such a potentially crippling mission.

Also, if your Missions are set up right, and you want to go for RANGE reduction, I'm sure there'll be a certain region becoming more prominent soon that will help :wink:

Also, on a related note: why does Consume: Technology use 'unsolved ' in its text? (As it does already specify 'your mission')
The "with no [BO] Objective on it" is designed to stop a Borg player completing 2 objectives at 1 misson. The "your" and "unsolved" is stop a Borg player completing the objective at a shared mission the opponent already solved, for easy points.

Isn't that just asking for certain missions the [1E-TNG] Borg player may want to use further be stolen and shut down/locked out of if their opponent somehow successfully completes such before these consume objectives can even be used to target their own mission? I mean, come on, with such a limited number of personnel in the [Bor] CM [1E-TNG] pool, not to mention the totality of only 2 ships available in the They Will Be Coming / Federation Flagship: Recovered [Bor] suggested archetype, seriously?
Yes, there is a risk of theft with Examine Distant Sector, but a Borg player doesn't have to use it. They can just sit safely within the OTF rules if they prefer.
Oh, on the 2 ships front, have you considered seeding 2 copies of Federation Flagship: Recovered?

Curious to hear further (and yes, I know not all of the cards have been revealed yet), just trying to play devil's advocate for the targeted audience of this otherwise highly intriguing boutique set. It does have me considering coming back to the game, granted.
Good to hear!
It'll be great to have you back :thumbsup:

The number of dilemmas that get put on a ship is[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]