This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:
Discovery rox wrote:
Ensign Q wrote: if you want to even out win%, maybe the game isnt over when the starting player earns 100, but the turn after. so the opponent gets the chance to make it a draw.
only problem is that makes the game take longer since it mandates the extra half turn on average.

of course, if you did do that, youd have to track points past 100 in case player 2 actually scores more than player 1 on his "evening up" turn. otherwise, if you cap at 100 and only allow player 2 the option to draw as best case scenario when player 1 hits 100 on player 1s turn, then player 1 still has an overall advantage.
Reduce game time by 5 minutes. If time is called, the 2nd player has one turn of less than 5 minutes to score points. If after that, both players have met the "win conditions", it's a draw.
I feel time should be called 3 turns before game will be terminated like in magic. granted turns are much shorter there. so active player+another turn should be good-
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:I feel time should be called 3 turns before game will be terminated like in magic. granted turns are much shorter there. so active player+another turn should be good-
Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but around these parts, we generally give a "10 minute warning" or some such. So you know the end is nigh, before it actually is the end.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
well someone pulled a "surprise a**hole, times up, ive won" on me on a dojo tournament. i wasnt even aware he was counting time.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:
Ensign Q wrote:I feel time should be called 3 turns before game will be terminated like in magic. granted turns are much shorter there. so active player+another turn should be good-
Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but around these parts, we generally give a "10 minute warning" or some such. So you know the end is nigh, before it actually is the end.
I know some players who disliked the warning, since their opponent could use it as a signal to start dragging their feet for a timed loss rather a full.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:well someone pulled a "surprise a**hole, times up, ive won" on me on a dojo tournament. i wasnt even aware he was counting time.
The technically correct answer is you should be aware of the clock during a game and if you lose track of time, that's on you.

That said, when I play online, as a courtesy I try to give my opponent a heads up at 30 minutes and 10 minutes remaining, and if your quote is actually what he said, that's a dick move and the kind of behavior that would discourage me from playing in future events.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
he didnt explicitly say that. it was still a dick move. but i only play to get some games going and if someone is so poor he has to use those tricks to win, let it be.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
i cant believe people are using a clock for an online tournament.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Discovery rox wrote:i cant believe people are using a clock for an online tournament.
Why not? It's part of the rules.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Discovery rox wrote:i cant believe people are using a clock for an online tournament.
Officially, any tournament game is subject to a time constraint, per the Organized Play Guide (OPG).

Unofficially, there's technically nothing stopping players from agreeing to play longer in an online tournament game. It's not something I'd encourage, and it could even be considered collusion, but the reality is two players could play to an untimed end of the game, report it, and there wouldn't be a high likelihood of getting caught.

To the contrary, it's been my experience that players try to finish games in under time, but when time runs out they report the modified result, which is as it should be.

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
Having played some card games competetively, I can say that looking at the time is VERY essential - playing for time isnt very gentlemen-like, but you´re not required to do very fast moves so that your opponent can still finish that last mission for the FW...

for obvious reasons that language wouldnt be ok and a reason not to go against that player again.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote: Reduce game time by 5 minutes. If time is called, the 2nd player has one turn of less than 5 minutes to score points. If after that, both players have met the "win conditions", it's a draw.
Well then it would be a tactical choice to be that guy, slowing or fastening once turn / actions that are done or not done.

Something that comes to my mind: a rule or card allowing the starting player only a limit amount of actions in turn first, like may report only 1 personal or ship card, do a lot of other stuff and then end the turn.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
LuthySloan wrote:
JeBuS wrote: Reduce game time by 5 minutes. If time is called, the 2nd player has one turn of less than 5 minutes to score points. If after that, both players have met the "win conditions", it's a draw.
Well then it would be a tactical choice to be that guy, slowing or fastening once turn / actions that are done or not done.
That already happens, to the detriment of the other player.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
How about we acknowledge that there's no way to have a perfectly even playing field within a given game, yet since there's two players and going first is randomly determined, the advantage evens out for everybody over the course of a career.

Also, life's not fair.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Armus wrote:How about we acknowledge that there's no way to have a perfectly even playing field within a given game, yet since there's two players and going first is randomly determined, the advantage evens out for everybody over the course of a career.

Also, life's not fair.
Not true. If you play 100 games, there's only an 8% chance that you'll get an even split. Which means that statistically, 92% of players are either at a disadvantage or at an advantage over that length of their career.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:
Armus wrote:How about we acknowledge that there's no way to have a perfectly even playing field within a given game, yet since there's two players and going first is randomly determined, the advantage evens out for everybody over the course of a career.

Also, life's not fair.
Not true. If you play 100 games, there's only an 8% chance that you'll get an even split. Which means that statistically, 92% of players are either at a disadvantage or at an advantage over that length of their career.
Already addressed.
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]