This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Smiley wrote:I would say that there are probably to few cards on the ban list but that's not the question. =)
No, but it is this question.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Oh, Nice! will see if I have the time to add some there then. Thanks!

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
For me it would be;

Clone Machine - I don't think it's that bad and smaller affiliations/factions could use it.

Memory Wipe - Selfish reason; just want the ability for Borg to assimilate Kazon again!

Romulan Minefield - I was so excited when this card came out, but I do agree that it needs some reworking before coming off the ban list.

:borg:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I'll say it again - SCANNER INTERFERENCE.

I wouldn't let a single other card come off the list without changes. Period. Full stop. They all still have too many interaction issues, or in the case of dixon hill - capability problems to just straight up come off.

But Scanner? It literally just adds an additional skill to sn already nerfed card and downloads other already nerfed cards that would do a better job slowing the game down a bit than some crazy tox uthat supernova blow out.

If you guys really think putting dixon hill, tox uthat supernova, data keep dealing into my hands is a good idea when you all got butt hurt over Borg post garrisons......then fine, I guess I'll drive away the few remaining players we have and we can all just go home.

Note to heaney: b4 nominating a card, ask yourself: would I really want to sit down against Kevin or kris with it for the next year? :)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote:I'll say it again - SCANNER INTERFERENCE.

I wouldn't let a single other card come off the list without changes. Period. Full stop. They all still have too many interaction issues, or in the case of dixon hill - capability problems to just straight up come off.

But Scanner? It literally just adds an additional skill to sn already nerfed card and downloads other already nerfed cards that would do a better job slowing the game down a bit than some crazy tox uthat supernova blow out.

If you guys really think putting dixon hill, tox uthat supernova, data keep dealing into my hands is a good idea when you all got butt hurt over Borg post garrisons......then fine, I guess I'll drive away the few remaining players we have and we can all just go home.

Note to heaney: b4 nominating a card, ask yourself: would I really want to sit down against Kevin or kris with it for the next year? :)
Serious question, Big Kev: If DQSS came off straight up (errata version, not the original) what would you build that abuses it that would be worse then [OS] [Fed] , [22] , Dominion slice and dice, or TWBC Borg overrun?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Hoss-Drone wrote: Serious question, Big Kev: If DQSS came off straight up (errata version, not the original) what would you build that abuses it that would be worse then [OS] [Fed] , [22] , Dominion slice and dice, or TWBC Borg overrun?
It would make my Future holograms black hole deck an eff-ton better. Being able to increase the likelihood of an early evil tuvok, janeway or kejal and then using the extras to keep moving forward would be pretty strong. The only thing that really held it back was the random off game where I didn't get them early enough.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote:Note to heaney: b4 nominating a card, ask yourself: would I really want to sit down against Kevin or kris with it for the next year? :)
That actually IS my criterion -- pretty much my only criterion. It's why there's only three cards on my list.

Tox/Nova - nobody was using it in 2009, so why would anyone use it today in the much faster game? I'm more worried about your Black Hole deck. I had huge reservations about unbanning Black Hole, because Eliminating Entire Locations Is Bad, but now that I've seen your Black Hole deck, I'm like, "Yeah, that's good, but it's fair-good not unfair-good." And it seems to me that Tox/Nova is weaker than Black Hole.

What Does God...? - I actually feel completely comfortable with this one BECAUSE I've watched what it did to Kris over the course of 2014. He started out in March like, "Wow, this card is completely broken with universal printing, are those guys insane? I'm gonna break it and they're gonna have to ban it." By Worlds, he was only using a couple, and by New Year 2015 he was like, "Yeah, this card doesn't pull its weight." At least, that's how I remember it. Of course, if it can be used to deleterious effect, you'll find it, but a LOT of people tried to break it in 2014. None did. It got banned because Design didn't want to work around it. That's a bad reason for a card to be banned. Unban it. If your theorycraft proves out, we can go ahead and ban it for a real reason this time.

Dixon Hill - He's a terrible personnel with a decent ability. I have a hard time seeing him accelerating your Fed/Kli [22] speed solver much faster than it already is, and the expense of getting him into play seems (to me) to be not worth it in that deck, or most other speedsters of yours that I've seen. Now, if you can build a top-tier, high-speed, post-errata War Council deck, then add Dixon Hill (a free play) on top of all that, sure, maybe we have a problem. But War Council has not exactly been tearing up the pavement, y'know?

Data Keep Dealing - this is one I mentioned, but in the context of being fairly unsure about it, and I said so. The reasons it was banned no longer obtain, so I'd like to see it playtested. I would undoubtedly ask you (and others) how best to abuse it if so, which is what we did with Subspace Schism to very positive effect.

Everything else on the ban list, I agree, it's too good to give to you. Or indeed to most other players.

It's very strange to me that, in a time when we have some excellent tier-1 and tier-2 DQ decks and a game overrun by free-report salad and chronic overdraw, we are talking seriously about giving DQ a generic free play engine that contains a draw engine inside of it. DQSS a Continuing Mission level boost for a faction that's already running at Continuing Mission levels, ta muchly. Don't let nostalgia blind you to how degenerate it is, even and especially in the current environment. (Kazon and Vidiian could use some love, but DQSS is generic and thus boosts EVERYONE in the DQ.)

Armus has a point that OS Fed, 22, Dominion slice-and-dice, and Borg Overrun are all too good right now. But the solution to that is not to escalate the rest of the game to the pace of OS Fed! That way lies games that end in 3 turns, like it's friggin' 2002 all over again. Nerf OS Fed. And, to a lesser extent, 22. And give people some defenses (and, more importantly, recovery/catchup mechanisms) against the really strong aggro strategies.

But escalation is bad, and DQSS as written = escalation. (I'd be fine with testing it, as Armus suggests, I'm just extremely pessimistic about the outcome.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I know this isn't the question, but what about adding a "non- [Fed] " clause to DQSS? Make it not work with any [Fed] icon card to get around the DA issues if you have to.

Show me a [Kaz] , [Vid] , or [Hir] that gets broken by this.

Yes James, there's tier-1 [1E-DQ] decks out there. The problem is they're all blue. [Kaz] and [Hir] are upper tier 2 at best, and [Vid] is getting a "booster shot" for a reason.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:I know this isn't the question, but what about adding a "non- [Fed] " clause to DQSS? Make it not work with any [Fed] icon card to get around the DA issues if you have to.

Show me a [Kaz] , [Vid] , or [Hir] that gets broken by this.

Yes James, there's tier-1 [1E-DQ] decks out there. The problem is they're all blue. [Kaz] and [Hir] are upper tier 2 at best, and [Vid] is getting a "booster shot" for a reason.
I'd be against it because its not 'story version of the card'. It's why I HATE Shape Shift Inhibitor. Damn you Decipher for making a card that should of been an awesome Romulan/Cardassian style equipment card to showcase a way to fight the Dominion.

Sigh.

The number of dilemmas that get put on a ship is[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]