This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Sheliak was never the problem. Sheliak/Q was the problem. Until and unless Q gets another errata look I don't see the issue.
Q made it fast, but Sheliak is the payload. And it's still rather ugly off-Alpha, where the spaceline is short.

Also, makes a good contrast with Tox - both of these zero out a mission (and blow up everything there), but this one adds a "planet only" restriction, but removes the need to solve a mission and play two events (and has a lot fewer generic counters to it).

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
Armus wrote: Sheliak was never the problem. Sheliak/Q was the problem. Until and unless Q gets another errata look I don't see the issue.
Q made it fast, but Sheliak is the payload. And it's still rather ugly off-Alpha, where the spaceline is short.

Also, makes a good contrast with Tox - both of these zero out a mission (and blow up everything there), but this one adds a "planet only" restriction, but removes the need to solve a mission and play two events (and has a lot fewer generic counters to it).
Well, the YAAM rule is exhibit A of the CC wanting alpha-centric action. Wouldn't the Sheliak serve to reinforce that direction?

What if we traded unbanning Sheliak for getting rid of the YAAM rule? You want to turtle in another quadrant, go ahead, but don't cry when the trash bag squad shows up and ruins your day. That would allow for less rules baggage AND fewer cards on the ban list. Win-win!
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
Well, the YAAM rule is exhibit A of the CC wanting alpha-centric action. Wouldn't the Sheliak serve to reinforce that direction?

What if we traded unbanning Sheliak for getting rid of the YAAM rule? You want to turtle in another quadrant, go ahead, but don't cry when the trash bag squad shows up and ruins your day. That would allow for less rules baggage AND fewer cards on the ban list. Win-win!
I think I bring it up every time YAAM comes up, but I think the rule should be "any two quadrants", which would also solve that problem. :)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Shape-shift inhibitor? :)

People say the game's too fast now, well there's one tool to slow it down again... or make people play more Borg.

How about reducing the Sheliak's range/speed it moves across the spaceline? I know I used to love to make use of it, and pair it with low-span missions -- so if you knocked it down to moving 1 spaceline location a turn, would that be sufficient?

I'd be happy to see it back unchanged, of course. And I'd like to see Clone Machine back, too.

Definitely do *not* want to see WDGNWAS unbanned. Never been a fan, glad to see it gone.

Wouldn't mind seeing QI back, but I'm guessing it's not possible to fit the gametext on the card eh?

And finally, why the hell not? How about Red Alert?

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
looking over the cards, I would vote for Tox. It is such a HIGH COST in the current gamethat you really have to commit a lot of resources to something that can be wrecked by quite a few generic cards. That being said if CC does something about the "game needs more turns" problem and we get 15-20 turn games back... this may become a problem again when it is "cheaper" to deploy.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:looking over the cards, I would vote for Tox. It is such a HIGH COST in the current gamethat you really have to commit a lot of resources to something that can be wrecked by quite a few generic cards. That being said if CC does something about the "game needs more turns" problem and we get 15-20 turn games back... this may become a problem again when it is "cheaper" to deploy.
Thinking about it, if I were to build a Tox deck I'd make it [22] with Temporal agents. That way I could play Tox the same turn i solve with Temporal Almanac, then drop the 'Nova on my next turn.
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:supernova turn3 the opponents outpost seems npe
Ignoring anything you can do to prevent it, that would require either a T1 mission solve (T2 play Tox, T3 'Nova), or a T2 solve, have Temporal Almanac in hand to play Tox T2, Nova T3.

Or, if we want to go fully into Magical Christmas Land, add Parallax Arguers and you can cash that Tox in for 50 points. :D

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I would say that there are probably to few cards on the ban list but that's not the question. =)

So the things I could see is the ones that have become a rule and maybe Quantum Incursion and Shape-Shift Inhibitor.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.