This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which TOS main character is most in need of a new version?

Kirk
No votes
0%
Spock
5%
McCoy
5%
Scotty
5%
Sulu
5%
Chekov
60%
Uhura
20%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. If you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

24 JAN 2020 What should qualify a card for the "watch list"?
17 JAN 2020: What card would you unban without changes?
10 JAN 2020: What single card would you ban to improve your game?
3 JAN 2020: What are you looking forward to in The Neutral Zone?
27 DEC 2019: How can we help you recruit new players?
20 DEC 2019: Where do you want the game to be in five years?
13 DEC 2019: Which concepts should 1E "import" from other games?
6 DEC 2019: Which couples should get a dual personnel card?
29 NOV 2019: Which old, unused 1E cards deserve some love?
22 NOV 2019: Which upcoming milestones need celebration?
15 NOV 2019: What's your favorite card image?
11 NOV 2019: What was your first 1E experience?
1 NOV 2019 What is your opinion of the "full page" policy?
25 OCT 2019: What do you want to see in a Halloween set?
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?

Now that we've spent three (3) weeks talking about banning cards, unbanning cards, and watching cards, let's change to a new topic. Back in October, I asked you guys to vote for which The Next Generation character was most in need of a new card. And even though that cast is on the brain because of Star Trek: Picard, it's time to talk about the original cast.

Which Original Series character is most in need of a new card?

Vote in the poll, and then reply to this thread and let me know which character you want to see in a new version and why. After all, there were quite a few changes and different "snapshots" of the characters over the course of seventy-nine (79) episodes. For example, we had a preview version of Centurion Kirk a few years ago, and he'll be appearing in black border in The Neutral Zone.

Any and all criteria are valid. And while you're voting on and explaining which TOS character is most in need of a new card, let us know which minor [OS] character you'd like to see on card. You never know, it might just help us decide which cards to put into the upcoming Project Londo or a future expansion.

We're one month into 2020, and month #2 starts off tomorrow. Do you think the Groundhog will see his shadow? Are you playing any Trek? In any case, have a great weekend.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
"Needs" is such a strong word.

I think there's the greatest amount of design space for a new Chekov, who currently only has the three "basic" cards all OS mains have (an [OS] , a [CF] , and a [MQ] ).

Everyone else has 4+ versions.

Kirk: 8 (including James T. Kirk)
Spock: 6 (including Spock / Amb. Spock)
McCoy: 5 (including Admiral McCoy)
Scotty: 6 (including Montgomery Scott)
Sulu: 4
Uhura: 4
Chekov: 3

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
i dont think any of the main characters need a new card. i disagree with the constant fetishization of the main cast.

i think there are other characters who have no cards that are long overdue for a chance in the spolight.

its a real travesty that lt. leslie does not have a card.

id made him a spiffy tos security that can persona swap with lt. grant.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Discovery rox wrote:i just realized i answered the question in the post, not the question in the title. the title asks about main characters, the actual question itself doesn't specify main.
I want both. You can vote on the main you want to see (or note vote), and share non-mains you want to see.

-crp
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
I'll hop on the Chekov band wagon, although I also think we could make a few new people for TOS by borrowing from our 2E cousins. I want to say Helen Noel, Gary Mitchell, George Stocker, etc. all have 2E prints but still do not exist in 1E. :twocents:

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Discovery rox wrote:i dont think any of the main characters need a new card. i disagree with the constant fetishization of the main cast.
I disagree that 1E fetishizes the main cast.

Because when I think fetishizing the main cast, I think of this Fleer/Skybox card. (May be not safe for sensitive work environments. Don't look, Ethel!)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:
Discovery rox wrote:i dont think any of the main characters need a new card. i disagree with the constant fetishization of the main cast.
I disagree that 1E fetishizes the main cast.

Because when I think fetishizing the main cast, I think of this Fleer/Skybox card. (May be not safe for sensitive work environments. Ethel, don't look.)
If we want to take such steps, I think Niall and I can design a set around fetishizing the cast

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I actually like that the game have multiple versions of all "Mains" as this is a good way of making cool cards that can't work together as there can only be one copy out at any time (except if you cheat with clone machine or DQSS or similar which is not good...)
And I think we need more versions with Uhura. Any game that have an african american woman should have more or them!
 -  
Community Contributor
Oh, if we're going non-mains, then I'm fairly partial to the [OS] [Vul] . T'Pau, T'Pring, Stonn, Sarek, (Amanda?), the gang.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: [OS] [Vul] gang.
This strikes me as a contradiction in terms.
That's certainly the current position of Design.

For myself, I watch "Amok Time" and have a hard time imagining most of those characters being anything else, despite 2260s Vulcan's nominal membership in the Federation.

It's clear that, by the 24th Century, some version of "ever closer union" has truly integrated Vulcan into Federation society... but 23rd-Century Vulcan is isolated, secretive, highly autonomous, resistant to Federation integration, still operates its own starfleet (e.g. the Intrepid, which is very likely D'Kyr-class with the name a translation from the original Vulcan), and openly opposes Federation military policy on pacifism grounds.

"Journey to Babel" is fascinating, in part, because it depicts each member world of the Federation sending an ambassador to a diplomatic summit (and they are NOT all friends), rather than settling the matter the way any actual government would (through the legislature). Whatever the UFP is in the 23rd Century, it's radically less centralized and homogenized than the 24th Century UFP.

If the CC ever made a blue T'Pau -- so aggressively and proudly Vulcan that she refused a seat on the Federation Council -- T'Pau would manifest and behead Charlie with a lirpa for the insult.

I'm not on Design anymore (except for the exploratory sets I was already working on at the time I became Rules Manager), so this is very much just my opinion, but I think [OS] [Vul] is the perfect fit for most of the Vulcans in TOS.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Main TOS I would want a Chekov - but I would rarely say 'no' to a Scotty.

Otherwise any character with more than one line of dialog that doesn't already have a card is a win in my book.
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !