This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which TOS main character is most in need of a new version?

Kirk
No votes
0%
Spock
5%
McCoy
5%
Scotty
5%
Sulu
5%
Chekov
60%
Uhura
20%

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Armus wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: [OS] [Vul] gang.
This strikes me as a contradiction in terms.
That's certainly the current position of Design.

For myself, I watch "Amok Time" and have a hard time imagining most of those characters being anything else, despite 2260s Vulcan's nominal membership in the Federation.

It's clear that, by the 24th Century, some version of "ever closer union" has truly integrated Vulcan into Federation society... but 23rd-Century Vulcan is isolated, secretive, highly autonomous, resistant to Federation integration, still operates its own starfleet (e.g. the Intrepid, which is very likely D'Kyr-class with the name a translation from the original Vulcan), and openly opposes Federation military policy on pacifism grounds.

"Journey to Babel" is fascinating, in part, because it depicts each member world of the Federation sending an ambassador to a diplomatic summit (and they are NOT all friends), rather than settling the matter the way any actual government would (through the legislature). Whatever the UFP is in the 23rd Century, it's radically less centralized and homogenized than the 24th Century UFP.

If the CC ever made a blue T'Pau -- so aggressively and proudly Vulcan that she refused a seat on the Federation Council -- T'Pau would manifest and behead Charlie with a lirpa for the insult.

I'm not on Design anymore (except for the exploratory sets I was already working on at the time I became Rules Manager), so this is very much just my opinion, but I think [OS] [Vul] is the perfect fit for most of the Vulcans in TOS.
This is a better argument than I was expecting.

Counterproposal: make these cats [OS] [Fed] / [Vul]

But don't make T'Pau blue bordered - I'd hate to see Charlie take a lirpa to the dome.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:none of them. TOS block is at an end. Time to move on
Movie block is on deck ya know...

EDIT: I got it: Generations [CF] Chekhov!

Nurse!
[SD] MEDICAL

Use him in either a [CF] OR [1E-TNG] deck!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:Counterproposal: make these cats [OS] [Fed] / [Vul]
I'm normally down on dual-affiliation, because I think we overdo them (which, among other things, devalues affiliation-specific "color") and because I think we abuse them (we routinely make dual-affiliation personnel that make zero sense... like Centurion Kirk, who is 100% a [Fed] with a [Rom] infiltration icon).

But the [OS] Vulcans? Yeah, those cats are what dual-affiliation was made for. It's a very good representation of them. I would support it.

(Except for T'Pau, because, as you mentioned, I like Charlie.)
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: (Except for T'Pau, because, as you mentioned, I like Charlie.)
Make the hologram from Darkling, and ta-da, there's a [Fed] T'Pau. :)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:I'm not on Design anymore (except for the exploratory sets I was already working on at the time I became Rules Manager)
Wait, what? If this is because of a rule, I think that's probably a rule that should change.
Well, thanks! I appreciate the vote of confidence.

But I knew I needed to step back from Design if I became Rules Manager because I'd be overextended otherwise. I've just got too much on my plate to serve both units well.

Beyond that, there's some real risk to it. Rules needs to be objective about (and very critical of) cards in a way that Creative, Errata, and Proofing don't have to be (and actually shouldn't be). But Designers are naturally protective and not at all objective about their own cards (even when they try). Blend Rules and Design, and you can develop some real blind spots.

I'll give you an example that is not at all flattering: Distant Control. I love this card. I think it's the bee's knees. It captures a really cool story in a really interesting mechanic that respects the game but lets you play it in a quite unusual way. You should all play more Distant Control (it's fun!).

Distant Control also has a four-paragraph Glossary entry, because I was on both Rules and Team Cold Front, and Distant Control was my precious baby, and I insisted that things weren't problems that actually (we found upon release) were. And I wasn't even Rules Manager, with the power differential that entails! So there is wisdom in keeping at least the Rules Manager off of primary design teams, at least when that Rules Manager is me. And so I am recused.

To the extent that there's a policy, it has some leeway; I'm still attached to Project Babylon and Project Viking, and Jon of course designed a lot of Metamorphosis while serving as Rules Manager.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Personally, I think Kolinahr made it so we never have to have [Vul] ships and personnel outside of [22].

I'll personally allow it (which means nothing) when we get [SF] Kirk and Picard and the like.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:Personally, I think Kolinahr made it so we never have to have [Vul] ships and personnel outside of [22].

I'll personally allow it (which means nothing) when we get [SF] Kirk and Picard and the like.
and Chef Riker cannot forget Chef Riker
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: To the extent that there's a policy, it has some leeway; I'm still attached to Project Babylon and Project Viking, and Jon of course designed a lot of Metamorphosis while serving as Rules Manager.
Now, I did ask for a rules member specifically when setting up Metamorphosis (I can't remember if I asked for Jon by name but was thrilled to get him).

Also, Rules sees every card that comes down the pipe anyway, and if I was on a set and James dropped me a PM with a suggestion I'd be an idiot not to read it.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Well, what we really need is a [Vul] / [Fed] dual personnel card of Spock and Kirk fighting with Lirpas on Vulcan. One of the most iconic cliché TOS themes. Card could even stun itself in personnel combat. And of course to go with it, Ambassador Sarek and any other TOS characters you can tack that Vulcan affiliation icon onto. Might even make a good one off expansion set, Vulcans through out the ages. Then you could give them Spock's shuttle from the Motion Picture and a Vulcan version of the landing ship from First Contact and a universal Vulcan/NA ship from the uprising fleet in the Mirror Universe. Yeah, more than you wanted, but the idea just kind of bloomed while I was writing this.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
enabrantain wrote:Well, what we really need is a [Vul] / [Fed] dual personnel card of Spock and Kirk fighting with Lirpas on Vulcan. One of the most iconic cliché TOS themes. Card could even stun itself in personnel combat. And of course to go with it, Ambassador Sarek and any other TOS characters you can tack that Vulcan affiliation icon onto. Might even make a good one off expansion set, Vulcans through out the ages. Then you could give them Spock's shuttle from the Motion Picture and a Vulcan version of the landing ship from First Contact and a universal Vulcan/NA ship from the uprising fleet in the Mirror Universe. Yeah, more than you wanted, but the idea just kind of bloomed while I was writing this.
The biggest problem I see with this idea is that [Vul] just got a bunch of [22] stuff over the last several sets.

However, with [CF] movie and [EE] movie sets coming up, I suppose there's a chance for ... some of it ... to possibly happen.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I don't see any [OS] era Vulcans being [Vul] affiliation.

[Vul] is fine in an era where the Federation does not exist yet. But once it exists, there is no more Vulcan. Unless are we going to make Trill an affiliation? Betazed? Tellarite? We can go on and on. I mean Lwaxana Troi is the Betazoid Ambassador - she is called that and not a Federation Ambassador.

If you want more [Vul] it needs to be done well, for a good reason, and not just throw onto cards just because. Leave the [22] alone. It's bad enough you can mix them with the other eras already for the Klingons and Romulan.

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]