This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Things I would love to see happen for the Glossary, but am aware that since I'm not volunteering to do these things, I have no right to demand:

1. Having Glossary entries in a format where they'll be spaced correctly if I cut and paste from the Glossary. It's annoying having to go correct the spacing every time I do that.

2. Related to the first, having the Glossary in a Wiki format rather than a monolith of text that I touch in order to evolve and gain 1E sentience.

3. Various card's pages quoting and linking to Glossary entries related to that card. In fact, a Wiki type project could replace both the Glossary and Card Pages, although I imagine some would always want a full version they can print and have with them for rulings and such.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Is this thread because I started waxing poetic about Glossary 1.8 on the Facebook thread about Hugh?

(It's fine either way. It's nice to know what people want to see, even if it takes a year or two for us to actually get there.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Actually, it's from the same post. I had to C&P an answer from the Glossary and had to correct the spacing.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:rather than a monolith of text that I touch in order to evolve and gain 1E sentience
Since this is related to my favourite book, I gotta love this reference! :D :thumbsup:

My own wishes for the Glossy (with some aspects overlapping with Boffo's):
3b. At least backwards compatibility into a PDF version (like Rulebook has);
4a. Hyperlinks inside Glossy;
4b. Many more cross-reference entries with links, because right now, some Also-logical-places-to-find-this-subject are vexingly empty. (So many examples that I can't think of one.) But it is such an ubiquitous issue, that I suspect there was a very conscious choice made to awfully limit the number of cross-reference entries. :shifty:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
id like to see the glossary updated as if it was 2020 and we have computers instead of like its 1972 and we have to print out books every year to get it updated.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery rox wrote:id like to see the glossary updated as if it was 2020 and we have computers instead of like its 1972 and we have to print out books every year to get it updated.
That's asking a lot, Rox. What do think this place is, here!? Do you see bunch of science fiction geeks who are into computers and other futuristical stuff? :P
 -  
Community Contributor
I am now able to say that it was really weird seeing this thread go up just a few hours after I filed the article for today's rules update. And it was even harder keeping my mouth shut all weekend.

We do hope you find the new features pleasing.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
BCSWowbagger wrote:I am now able to say that it was really weird seeing this thread go up just a few hours after I filed the article for today's rules update. And it was even harder keeping my mouth shut all weekend.

For the record, I am not in this particular loop and had no idea this was coming. I'm actually a bit weirded out now.

I guess I should have stayed away from that spicy food.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Going back to what inspired me to make this post, if I go to Hugh's page, I get a link to Hugh's glossary entry, but that entry does not contain the answer to the particular question I was looking for of whether Hugh nullified an attack of a [Bor] ship. That answer is in Borg-Affiliation Ships, or if you happen to know the convention that if game text refers to something with capitalized letters, it's looking for a card of that title.

So it might be nice if card pages linked not only to the Glossary entry they're associated with but to other Glossary entries that mention them. From your description of what you did, that should be a relatively easy fix.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:So it might be nice if card pages linked not only to the Glossary entry they're associated with but to other Glossary entries that mention them. From your description of what you did, that should be a relatively easy fix.
It's doable, but would lead to a lot of false positives, where a card is mentioned only incidentally or as an example (or even as a counter-example). It would be useful for Hugh's page to link to Borg: Borg-affiliation ships, because, as you say, there's relevant information about Hugh there that isn't mentioned elsewhere. But it would not be useful for Hugh's page to link to Rogue Borg Mercenaries, because Hugh is functionally irrelevant to that ruling.

I think this gets back to SudenKapala's point #4b: the Glossary would benefit from being more thoroughly cross-referenced. Hugh's entry should say "see Borg: Borg-affiliation ships," but does not.

Unfortunately, fixing that is a process that cannot be automated. We'll just need to notice cases like this (and have them pointed out to us) over time and gradually build up the necessary cross-references. Hopefully, this will get easier as other Glossary reforms are implemented. For now, I'll add the Hugh cross-reference to my list of "things to bring up with the Rules Committee soon."

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
well done. a strong step in the right direction.

my only nitpick is whats with the use of the premium card icon as a link back to the card? confusing as its not obvious what it is right away, since that has nothing to do with the icon.

i wouldve used a hidden agenda icon myself. yes, it still has nothign to do with hidden agendas, but its a picture of a card back which makes sense that clicking it would take you back to the card.

better yet maybe just a text hyperlink saying "card" or "card entry" or something to make it even more clear.
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery rox wrote:
my only nitpick is whats with the use of the premium card icon as a link back to the card? confusing as its not obvious what it is right away, since that has nothing to do with the icon.
Great question. The thinking was that it should be an icon, because the document seems more readable when links like that are an icon, and it should be an icon that has zero rules relevance, in order to avoid any potential confusion about that. (The HA icon is still VERY tempting, despite its rules relevance.)

Having set those constraints, I then grabbed the Premium icon pretty much completely arbitrarily. And, you're right, it isn't obvious what it means. I'll give some thought to this.

Are there any expansion icons that might work for this? Maybe the DS9 icon, with the wormhole representing movement between documents?

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Discovery rox wrote:
Great question. The thinking was that it should be an icon, because the document seems more readable when links like that are an icon, and it should be an icon that has zero rules relevance, in order to avoid any potential confusion about that. (The HA icon is still VERY tempting, despite its rules relevance.)

Having set those constraints, I then grabbed the Premium icon pretty much completely arbitrarily. And, you're right, it isn't obvious what it means. I'll give some thought to this.

Are there any expansion icons that might work for this? Maybe the DS9 icon, with the wormhole representing movement between documents?
I'd go for this one: https://www.trekcc.org/images/icons/decklist.jpg

Doesn't appear on cards anywhere, so nobody will confuse it for a gameplay icon, but represents the cards themselves.
 -  
Community Contributor
Oh, I think that's perfect. Captures all the strengths of Rox's [HA] idea with much lower confusion risk.

I'll take that back to TPTB.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:I am now able to say that it was really weird seeing this thread go up just a few hours after I filed the article for today's rules update.
So sorry. I'm one of those guys having printed the Rulebook, Glossy and everything else I need -- Decipher version, mostly -- and happily browsing them in my bible binder. My CC-web-time usually goes either into using the deck builder features, or to "social activities" (on the forum). That's my excuse for not noticing.
Oh my.
And it was even harder keeping my mouth shut all weekend.
So you did. Uncanny. You must not be of this earth... completely. Nephilim, perhaps? 8)

But... why did you feel compelled say nothing? Oh-- because the article wasn't yet published?

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]