This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By JarlOlaf
 -  
Hello!
I am new to the forum and to the game itself and I am wondering if there are any gameplay archives of some sort. I see that a lot of you play using Lackey and Skype, so are there saved matches or videos of some kind?
While getting into a game, I always like to watch as many games as I can from novices and experts alike to see different elements of gameplay that I would not on my own.

A bit about me. Last summer, I was organizing my collections of baseball and M:TG cards and I came across two opened Premiere booster packs and remembered buying them as a boy (I am a life-long Trekkie). So, I did a bit of an internet search to see if the game still exists; then I found The Continuing Committee website. Now that I seen that there is still interest in the game (and low an behold even a group that plays in my native Minnesota) I bought a booster box of Primiere and started playing using the info of the website and this forum.

Keep up the great work!
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Hi there! Welcome to the site and welcome to the game!

The Dojo’s Discord Server might have some resources listed that you might find useful! Find the link to it in my signature and come chat with the other 1e returning players! We’ll get you setup and at the very least entertained!

TK

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi! Welcome aboard!

Go to youtube and search "star trek 2017 World Championship (First Edition)", there are a bunch of videos there of games being played.

Next if I were you I would read the rulebook. It is a LOT to take in so maybe space it out over a few days lol.

https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/

I thought there were some beginners articles/decks around here too...... i can't find them lol. I'm sure someone else will jump in with something........
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
JarlOlaf wrote:Hello!
I am new to the forum and to the game itself and I am wondering if there are any gameplay archives of some sort. I see that a lot of you play using Lackey and Skype, so are there saved matches or videos of some kind?
While getting into a game, I always like to watch as many games as I can from novices and experts alike to see different elements of gameplay that I would not on my own.

A bit about me. Last summer, I was organizing my collections of baseball and M:TG cards and I came across two opened Premiere booster packs and remembered buying them as a boy (I am a life-long Trekkie). So, I did a bit of an internet search to see if the game still exists; then I found The Continuing Committee website. Now that I seen that there is still interest in the game (and low an behold even a group that plays in my native Minnesota) I bought a booster box of Primiere and started playing using the info of the website and this forum.

Keep up the great work!
MINNESOTA! Welcome aboard!

Where are you? (And how do your Friday nights in March look?)

I was just talking about getting a beginner-friendly limited-pool tournament going in West Saint Paul or Roseville, and the appearance of an actual returning player is enough to finally nudge me off my butt to schedule an event.

Like Takket says, the Rulebook is a lot to take in in one sitting. The Basic Rulebook is a bit easier, and covers everything you would actually need to know in your first game (especially in a limited format): https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/?streamlined=y

Maggie Geppert did a fun series of beginner decks called "I'm an Old/New First Edition Player": https://www.trekcc.org/articles/index.p ... 11&game=1E

There are some decent tournament reports in the archives, and, if I may brag just slightly, I write some pretty detailed ones (although not as often anymore): https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... yerID=2898

The CC realizes it needs more video content, realizes that's key to recruiting new and returning players, has known this for years... annnnnd just somehow never gets around to it, because it's a lot of work. Maybe you will be the person who finally breaks the curse of people taking on the project and then not finishing it! (Not that I can talk; there's a good few projects in my graveyard as well.)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi Olaf, welcome aboard, great that you joined us!

How did you get to know the game? And in what manner -- and with whom -- are you starting up? E.g., will you buy or print some cards, do you have friends IRL that are also interested?

And, are you a TCG/CCG or Trek enthusiast, or both?

Just curious, getting to know you! (I'm that guy, here. :lol: But feel free to first concentrate on getting up to speed. :thumbsup: )

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Welcome aboard! If you are close the Twin Cities you are in for a treat as there is a good sized group here that is very friendly.

Once you've had a spin through the rules you may want to take a peak at some beginner-friendly decks here. (links 3, 4, 5 under "Download this Virtual Expansion!")

By JarlOlaf
 -  
Whoa! I cannot believe all the replies and info I got in the thread! Thank you!

I will try and answer all your questions...

To answer a lot of questions, I have been reading the CC rule book and keeping it by my side when I play games by myself. I play like that so I can see/feel out the interactions of the cards. The rule book is a lot to take in (as mentioned), but I seem to understand it quite well and have a good basic grasp of the game (I think so anyways).

@BCSWowbagger
I am from "up north", about 30 miles west of Bemidji. There is no way I can be down there in March as I am busy on weekends this time of year. But, this summer, I will be down your way all the time. I am a fixture at Canterbury :wink: And, thank you for all the links!

@Takket
I will defiantly be checking out that video!

@SudenKapala
I heard about the game in 1995 and wanted to play it then, but had nobody to play with. So, I bought the few booster packs back then just becasue I love Star Trek. Now, I have absolutely no friends to play any games like this to play with. I have been just playing games by myself to get a feel for the game and then see where it takes me.
I am a game enthusiast to the extreme. And, a life-long Trekkie. When I was at the U of MN, I worked with academics from all over the world recreating "dead" games from the past. I am most proud of my work with Hnefatafl and predecessors to poker in Medieval England and Scandinavia. I actually play games for a living in a way. I trade commodities and bet the ponies for a living. I used to play poker at high levels between 2001-09, but playing that game is like watching paint dry no matter what the stakes. And, I have played backgammon all over the place since 2001. I am also getting back into Magic the Gathering. I played it heavily until 2000, but I just hate those damn Planeswalker cards so much. But, limited is always a fun way to play MTG.

Also, I plan on printing cards if I need them. But, as a Magic player by heart, I will try to get originals if I can.

The one thing I do not like too much about the rules thus far (and from my limited/rookie outlook of the game) is being able to have lots of the same character/ship/whatever in your deck (i.e. ❖ cards). I just seen there is a "Highlander" type variant. I may have to give that a bit of a go too. I know those ❖ cards are weak, but it just seems to stifle deck creation a bit. But, that is just my 2 cents as a novice. But, as Magic has proven, card restriction breeds creativity.

Well, I am sure I will have many questions forward. It is quite nice to see all the help ya'all are willing to give.

Here is to an exciting future in the Star Trek:CCG :cheersL:
Last edited by JarlOlaf on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JarlOlaf wrote:Now, I have absolutely no friends to play any games like this to play with.
Well, you just made dozens of new friends. 8) Plenty game and/or Trek enthusiasts here! :wink:
I actually play games for a living in a way.
You have the awesomest life. :borg:

I'll be asking you STCCG questions before long, given your profession. (You wrote "Analyst" as your trade in your profile -- is that a regular term for it?)
You trade ponies, did I understand that correctly? (Not a native speaker; I missed a word/connection.) I just like to ride dem horses. :P
but I just hate those damn Planeswalker cards so much.
+1!

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
JarlOlaf wrote:
@BCSWowbagger
I am from "up north", about 30 miles west of Bemidji. There is no way I can be down there in March as I am busy on weekends this time of year. But, this summer, I will be down your way all the time. I am a fixture at Canterbury :wink: And, thank you for all the links!

Here is to an exciting future in the Star Trek:CCG :cheersL:

We usually have a regional tournament in the cities sometime in may. We also do one her in Sioux Falls around the same time.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
JarlOlaf wrote: I am from "up north", about 30 miles west of Bemidji. There is no way I can be down there in March as I am busy on weekends this time of year. But, this summer, I will be down your way all the time. I am a fixture at Canterbury :wink: And, thank you for all the links!
Then the beginner tournament will be in summer! PM me with possible weekend dates when summer gets closer (if you would be so kind).

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Welcome to the boards and to the game :) It's always nice to see a new face.

A couple of things that I would like to mention:

1 - it's great to buy and crack packs. It's got that nostalgic feeling. But, keep in mind, that ANY card from the Decipher era and ANY card from the CC era are all printable and tournament legal. The only cost is some paper and ink.

2 - if I may be so bold, if you are new to the game, start off playing PAQ only (ie. cards from only Premiere, Alternate Universe, Q-Continuum), at least for a few games. The game is pretty straight forward at that point. The later sets add different card types and it gets complicated quick. Then you slowly move up in sets that add more complexity as your comfort level grows. Just a suggestion :)

That's it for me. Welcome again. You got a GREAT group of dudes in Minnesota and they'll take care of ya :)

By JarlOlaf
 -  
Se7enofMine wrote:
2 - if I may be so bold, if you are new to the game, start off playing PAQ only (ie. cards from only Premiere, Alternate Universe, Q-Continuum), at least for a few games. The game is pretty straight forward at that point. The later sets add different card types and it gets complicated quick. Then you slowly move up in sets that add more complexity as your comfort level grows. Just a suggestion :)
I am in a way doing this by just using Primiere for the time being. Thank you for mentioning "PAQ" though, I did not know that was a format. Just from looking though all the sets to begin with, it looked like it gets more and more complicated. But, that sounds awesome to me!

By JarlOlaf
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
JarlOlaf wrote: Then the beginner tournament will be in summer! PM me with possible weekend dates when summer gets closer (if you would be so kind).
I will be sure to do that! Hopefully it will give me enough time to wrap my head around this game.

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the d[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]