This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Am I reading this card right that if I have 5 VR Headset and some combo of 5 Founders/Vorta/Cardassians on my ship. that my ship is weapons and shields +5?

10 people and 10 headsets is +10

20 is +20 etc...........
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Am I reading this card right that if I have 5 VR Headset and some combo of 5 Founders/Vorta/Cardassians on my ship. that my ship is weapons and shields +5?

10 people and 10 headsets is +10

20 is +20 etc...........
Yup.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I don't think so -VR Headset isn't marked cumulative.
NM - I see it says "each" ...

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
lovely 1e decided to randomly replace cumulative with each

term normalization now

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
come on.

each makes it abundantly clear what the intended effect for multiple are. it bypasses the need to even question the cumulative rule or whther it applies in this case or not.

the use of very clear gametext is not something to complain about.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
If this were cumulative, then you could put infinite VR Headsets on a single personnel. That wasn't what Decipher wanted, so they wrote it different.

Still, I imagine this kind of thing is very hard on non-native English speakers.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:If this were cumulative, then you could put infinite VR Headsets on a single personnel. That wasn't what Decipher wanted, so they wrote it different.

Still, I imagine this kind of thing is very hard on non-native English speakers.
If there were some concept of "personal" equipment in the game, where a piece of equipment attaches to a specific personnel the way an event might, it could be smoother. But as it is, all equipment is always shared by everyone present. So the language is... not as straightforward as it could be.

Let's change the game so that equipment that affects ships are card type "System" and equipment that affects personnel are card type "Equipment" and errata the personnel equipment to attach to an individual. Cuz really, one Type I Phaser shouldn't boost everyone present. :shifty:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
JeBuS wrote: Cuz really, one Type I Phaser shouldn't boost everyone present. :shifty:
That has always amused me about this game.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:If this were cumulative, then you could put infinite VR Headsets on a single personnel. That wasn't what Decipher wanted, so they wrote it different.

If there were some concept of "personal" equipment in the game, where a piece of equipment attaches to a specific personnel the way an event might, it could be smoother. But as it is, all equipment is always shared by everyone present. So the language is... not as straightforward as it could be.

Let's change the game so that equipment that affects ships are card type "System" and equipment that affects personnel are card type "Equipment" and errata the personnel equipment to attach to an individual. Cuz really, one Type I Phaser shouldn't boost everyone present. :shifty:
Feel free to make a 3rd Edition. Ben Hosp apparently has been working on such a case.

1st Edition is never supposed to make total sense, especially the PAQ era cards
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
DarkSabre wrote:Feel free to make a 3rd Edition. Ben Hosp apparently has been working on such a case.

1st Edition is never supposed to make total sense, especially the PAQ era cards
What makes you think I'm not already working on such a thing? :shifty: :wink:
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:
JeBuS wrote: Cuz really, one Type I Phaser shouldn't boost everyone present. :shifty:
Since it boosts each, I always assumed everyone got one.

I mean, do we really want to stock five of them to get the same effect? :)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I remember being so disappointed when I got my 2nd tablet and it didn't give me a cumulative CUNNING boost.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:I remember being so disappointed when I got my 2nd tablet and it didn't give me a cumulative CUNNING boost.
Seriously. I've got an 8" tablet I use daily, plus 4 or 5 other tablets sitting in a draw. I should be at least CUNNING +10 right now.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:
Boffo97 wrote:I remember being so disappointed when I got my 2nd tablet and it didn't give me a cumulative CUNNING boost.
Seriously. I've got an 8" tablet I use daily, plus 4 or 5 other tablets sitting in a draw. I should be at least CUNNING +10 right now.
You're assuming that technology makes you smarter.

I'm not sure the macro level data bears that out..... :shifty:

By Daimyoshi (Richard Steele)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:
Since it boosts each, I always assumed everyone got one.

I mean, do we really want to stock five of them to get the same effect? :)
I have to agree with this, I think the challenge is about Ships or Away teams being basically the same Meta item with different locations. When looking at it this way I think it is less confusing.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

HumQ: Pick of the Tribbles

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]