This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

What Side Events Would You Like to Play at Worlds 2021?

Best of Both Worlds Tourney (both 1E and 2E)
7%
Cube Draft
17%
OTSD
25%
Voyager Warp Speed
20%
Coming of Age Sealed
12%
Block Constructed (specify pool)
8%
Traditional Constructed
3%
Open Constructed
2%
Something else (please specify)
5%

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
What card pool is Open (rules) Constructed, and what rules set is Traditional (pool) Constructed?

If I could attend Worlds, one of these might be exactly my cup of tea... Well, Traditional Open Constructed would actually be it. 8) :thumbsup: But I guess nobody wants to go back to The Dark Ages? :lol:
(That format is great for our play group, but only because we have "gentleman's house rules" against broken tactics, and because or card pools are limited -- we don't have the broken cards in abundance.)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:Don't see an option for Team Event, and that gauntlet has already been thrown down on social media. Money, Inc. vs. Seattle Sociopaths vs. Munich World Order (mWo) vs. the field. No holds barred and falls count anywhere.
Even in the fish tank across the room?

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:What sort of First Edition side events would entice you to come to Worlds 2020? It August 6th - 9th in Chicago, IL.

Note that Day 1 will take place on Friday, August 7th starting at 10:30 am.
i would vote OTSD just because I've always felt like sealed deck was the ultimate test of true deck building and playing ability, especially in the past when the "rich" had 10 of every rare and could build super powerful decks. Sealed deck was "the great leveler".

That being said, could you provide a brief description of some of the other options? Block I'm familiar with but not some of the others.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Takket wrote:Even in the fish tank across the room?
I'm still sad that I can't report Luther Sloan there anymore.

Not that I would have. I just liked having the option.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
jadziadax8 wrote:
pfti wrote:OTSD is the one true format
I’ve bought a ton of PAQ to go along with either OTSD or Coming of Age. I may also have Reflections and other sealed product. :shifty:
Oooh Oooh Reflections Draft (added to OTSD sealed) and AU + QC packs for drafting could be real fun!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Takket wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:What sort of First Edition side events would entice you to come to Worlds 2020? It August 6th - 9th in Chicago, IL.

Note that Day 1 will take place on Friday, August 7th starting at 10:30 am.
i would vote OTSD just because I've always felt like sealed deck was the ultimate test of true deck building and playing ability, especially in the past when the "rich" had 10 of every rare and could build super powerful decks. Sealed deck was "the great leveler".
Funny you mention this, but I have been toying with the outrageous idea of making Day 2 sealed...
Takket wrote:That being said, could you provide a brief description of some of the other options? Block I'm familiar with but not some of the others.
Best of Both Worlds Tourney (both 1E and 2E) - covered already; 1E and 2E together in one tourney
Cube Draft - the Chicago play group has curated a version of Kevin Jaeger's Cube. You receive a base deck (OTSD, SDII and a few other key cards), some random flavor packs (anything from the Followers of the One to DS9 with all available sites to a Tribble Bomb deck), several packs of dilemmas and several packs of everything else. You draft the dilemma and everything else packs. This format is long, so we're going to try it as sealed instead of draft.
OTSD - do I need to do this one? :wink: The original OTSD will be enhanced with PAQ and Reflections packs.
Voyager Warp Speed - I have packs from both Voyager and The Borg to enhance this experience.
Coming of Age Sealed - Coming of Age starters with packs from the Virtual Pack Creator.
Block Constructed (specify pool) - the pool of cards is restricted to certain sets defined by the desired block.
Traditional Constructed - Only cards from the Decipher era are allowed. Errata and OTF rules would apply.
Open Constructed - All cards are legal except Raise the Stakes. Errata are still in effect, but OTF rules are not. It's the Wild West, sort of...

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
jadziadax8 wrote:All cards are legal except Raise the Stakes.
Unacceptable.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Commander Joe wrote:I voted cube draft. The version I would like to see is Jason Tang's warp speed cube draft. Not sure if that counts as a something else vote :?
:) Thanks for the shout-out. I guess I'll either have to go to Worlds or publish my methods. :)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote:I guess I'll either have to go to Worlds or publish my methods. :)

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I like Ferengi Auction format. Each player brings their own deck. Everyone gets to see all cards in all decks before the auction. Then each deck gets auctioned out where the players pays by the amount of mission points the opponent in each game starts with. Players then collect points from the deck they'r playing and the deck that they sold at the auction. This way you want a good deck but with flaws you know and can navigate when you get to play against your own deck. =)
It's supposed to be strange. And it's a whole lot of fun. Most have no clue how to actually play the deck any good so it's a little bit blind leading the blind. And you only have 30-45 minutes to each match as most have wagered away their points for a good deck. =)

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
I don't know how many side events I'll actually play in since i try to play all three main events, I voted OTSD only as the voyager warp-speed did not specify sealed, and constructed Voy Warp-speed is my idea of not really fun, i remember how to break it, and don't feel a need to experience that again, IF the intention was sealed then OTSD and Voy sealed warp-speed would be fun side events if i need to fill time.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]