This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The thing with the Klingon ship prefixes is one of the most annoying decisions the Continuing Committee made. Yes, it's technically better if they were IKS to start with, but the current system where some are IKC and some are IKS and they're considered identical is kinda annoying. Hoping one day that there can simply be an errata wave to fix it once and for all.

Sorry for the rant.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I'm with you, but it ends up being a bunch of errata that doesn't really... change anything? So I'm sure it's on someone's list, but waaaaaay down.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:I'm with you, but it ends up being a bunch of errata that doesn't really... change anything? So I'm sure it's on someone's list, but waaaaaay down.
Lets do AI's of all of the oens that are wrong and errata it at the same time
 -  
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:
AllenGould wrote:I'm with you, but it ends up being a bunch of errata that doesn't really... change anything? So I'm sure it's on someone's list, but waaaaaay down.
Lets do AI's of all of the oens that are wrong and errata it at the same time
Well, let's see how much work it'd be to do a through swap.

(All of these are me monkeying in card search - I'm probably missing some corner cases. I Am Not Your Rules Expert, Please Consult A Professional, etc etc.)

There's 28 ships with "I.K.C." in card title, so that's a pretty decent sized set to start.

Then, there's 23 cards with "I.K.C." in lore (ignoring the two ships since we caught those above).

Plus, 6 cards that have "I.K.C." in gametext (ignoring the same two ships as before, oddly enough).

So, that's 57 cards to do, and all we'd get is... what we have today. :/
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
What about going the other way? The only reason 1E made the shift to I.K.S. was to support 2EBC ships -- and those are gone now.

I'm too lazy to check how expensive it would be to errata all I.K.S. references back to I.K.C., but hopefully... a lot less than 57??

I ask mainly for curiosity, because it's true: this would be waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down any sane priority list.
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: I'm too lazy to check how expensive it would be to errata all I.K.C. references back to I.K.S., but hopefully... a lot less than 57??

I ask mainly for curiosity, because it's true: this would be waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down any sane priority list.
To errata all IKS -> IKC:

7 ships
17 cards in lore (including a ship that *isn't* itself IKS)
3 cards with IKS in gametext.

So, only 27 instead of 57.

I would expect that the 27 are also all virtual, which is easier - but *I'm* too lazy to check that. :D

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
The change as a whole was to reflect the show's change. For example, I'm 99.99999% sure that when the name of the I.K.C. Gr'oth was said in Trials and Tribble-ations, Jadzia said I.K.S.

But I'd argue that either should be correct. After all, these ships aren't literally named Imperial Klingon Cruiser or Ship whatever, that's just the translation of the Klingon name. And the last word could easily be something that translates into either Cruiser or Ship.

Of course, if we think too clearly about this, we have to explain what the U.S.S. is on Federation ships, given that it clearly isn't United States Ship. UFP Star Ship maybe? Acronyms inside acronyms?
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Of course, if we think too clearly about this, we have to explain what the U.S.S. is on Federation ships, given that it clearly isn't United States Ship. UFP Star Ship maybe? Acronyms inside acronyms?
According to Mem Alpha, Gene says it's "United Space Ship", and who are we to argue with the Great Bird of the Galaxy?

Now, it occurs to me that there's a solution that requires a bit more research on someone's part, but less errata - find only the cards that have a disagreement and fix those. (So, as long as everyone calls the Indefatigable IKC and not IKS, we're all good. If we have cards referring to both the IKC Righteous Indignation and the IKS Righteous Indignation, we errata whichever one has fewer references to match the majority).

Means Design will have to keep track of whether a given ship is an IKC or IKS, though.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.