This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I don't think the most OP card Borg has at their disposal is actually one of the cards that was put on the watchlist.

There is one card that lets you download any drone, get any objective and is a perfect probe every time.

This card is Borg Queen.

It's no wonder the Borg decks have stacked more and more copies of the queen in their newer designs. You can start off with the other Queen download We are the Borg and then have a free persona swap into the good old First Contact Queen and get whatever you like whenever you like.

The ultimate toolkit card.

If Borg had to draw into everything more naturally you wouldn't have to fear them having access to everything that could overpower you at any one moment. Things like beaming through your shields, decloaking your ship, blowing you up or just going for a personnel battle to assimilate a few dudes in a stopped away team.

Of course the argument is that the Queen has been around so long and has never been an issue before but that's the problem with toolkit cards. As the kit gets stronger tools the toolkit gets better and better. Borg has so many useful drones at their disposal.

Perhaps they've had all those extra tools for a while now but only now they're becoming a problem as the decks get better and better due to good deck builders solving the format.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I'm torn. I get your argument, and somewhat agree. But on the other hand, the flavor of the Borg being able to adapt to anything by summoning a new drone that meets the specific needs at will - that feels so intrinsic to the Borg that even if that was the core issue, that taking it away seems wrong.

Especially when flavor is what really sets 1E aside.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Borg were the original downloaders; it was their signature mechanic. It isn't their fault that Decipher (and then the CC) turned up the volume on the mechanic for everyone else.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:The one personnel dl per turn is already a harsh nerf
Remember it's one personnel download action per turn. Pop a Retask and you won't have a personnel problem.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I was sure this was gonna be about the Shades of Gray Queen, and I was set to agree.

The FC queen... I mean, she's useful. Decipher made her deliberately kind of essential to a great Borg deck in the FC era. But overpowered? Hard to see it when she's limited to using it once each turn thanks to the personnel download limit.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:He is Talking bout fc queen
Ok, but even in the context of the FC Queen, it's only the one download into play that is limited. You can still download any number of drones to hand in place of those card draws - something I exploited to good effect the last time I played Borg (download unique drones into play and download ❖ drones to hand to play free with New Arrivals and/or - with ❖ [22] drones - cycle with Temporal Benefactor)
Last edited by Armus on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:I was sure this was gonna be about the Shades of Gray Queen, and I was set to agree.

The FC queen... I mean, she's useful. Decipher made her deliberately kind of essential to a great Borg deck in the FC era. But overpowered? Hard to see it when she's limited to using it once each turn thanks to the personnel download limit.
Well it is kind of the combo when you get both any way you like thanks to free persona swaps.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Interesting combo with the Queens. I do like it. :thumbsup:

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
how is persona swapping a combo? Its not that one can download the other. You still have to draw her (both)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Borg are the kings of mod win. Persona swap is essential. Some crazy Scotsman used to blow up his own Queen to get the other. A crazy Michael and a very dear as crazy Austrian friend of mine uses Enterprise for FC Queen.

I lost to BigKev, Kris and Niall. Harness, assimilation, Eliminate Starship. Population 9 Billion. All Borg, all online :) .

And I am perfectly fine with that. Borg are somehow a meta-control choice.

I have to admit, playing against Borg was never my strength, never. But I know that it can be done. TNG Borg can circumvent the probing enigma but fine to me.

Non-TNG Borg are challenging, both as player and opponent.

PS: Join TK's Dojo. Online play is the future!

And I am Bernie Sanders btw. I approve this message :) :) .

Ich warte noch immer auf den Tag, dass Herr Honigschneider mal ein eigenes Deck benutzt :)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Caretaker's Guest wrote:PS: Join TK's Dojo. Online play is the future!
It's a pandemic. Online play is the present. :D
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]